Western Canadiens consider succession form Canada...

USViking said:
Clue me in on the representation- is the West fairly
represented in proportion to its population?
In a nutshell, yes. The biggest problem is that as long as Ontario votes for one party (the Liberal party for the last decade) and Quebec votes primarily for their separatist party (Bloc Quebecois), the rest of the country can vote any way they want (Conservative) and Ontario's selection wins. It isn't quite that black and white but that is the simplistic reason for the West's feeling that representation isn't fair.

I think the biggest anger stems from the fact that the West feels under-represented in proportion to its financial contribution to the country, Alberta especially. Alberta is one of only 2 provinces (Ontario is the other) that funds the shortfalls of the other 8 provinces (through transfer payments) yet we still get almost no say in the run of the country. In one sense, it isn't fair, but on the other hand, democracy is not based on representation by $$$.

Here are a couple links showing some relevant information in case you are curious:
Seats by party and province
Populaton by year and province
Map of Canada showing regional voting preferences

HorhayAtAMD said:
In a nutshell, yes. The biggest problem is that as long as Ontario votes for one party (the Liberal party for the last decade) and Quebec votes primarily for their separatist party (Bloc Quebecois), the rest of the country can vote any way they want (Conservative) and Ontario's selection wins. It isn't quite that black and white but that is the simplistic reason for the West's feeling that representation isn't fair.

I think the biggest anger stems from the fact that the West feels under-represented in proportion to its financial contribution to the country, Alberta especially. Alberta is one of only 2 provinces (Ontario is the other) that funds the shortfalls of the other 8 provinces (through transfer payments) yet we still get almost no say in the run of the country. In one sense, it isn't fair, but on the other hand, democracy is not based on representation by $$$.

Awww, quite your bellyachin' already and move to Ontario! The streets here are paved with gold I tells ya! In fact, I think I hear the Brinks truck coming with my Bag-O-Your-Alberta-Cash right now. :D

In all seriousness, federal meddling in provincial affairs would be rather irksome in comparison to Ontario . Especially this Kyoto mumbo-jumbo. I don't blame Albertians for being pissed.

Also, maybe you can tell me why Ralph isn't making such a big stink about secession any more? If I remeber right, he was pretty vocal about it (not that anyone took it to heart or anything).

Forum List

Back