Westboro "Church" comes to town..

Cal

Since 2010™
Jan 4, 2010
Right behind you!
I think my city is officially famous now! Starting Monday the folks from westboro baptist "Church" (AKA Fred Phelps, AKA http://www.godhatesfags.com/) started their pickets around Virginia. Their signs contained all kinds of hateful material such as, "God Hates Jews," "God Hates F*gs," "God Hates America," Thank God for IEDS," "Obama Anti-Christ.." Etc.. Well many different groups organized counter protests which went a+! I personally went to 5 of these (They only showed up for 3)..Their first stop: A Local School..Christians, Gays and people with funny counter signs gathered to protest them..According to reports we outnumbered them by a ratio of 20 to 4! From there they went to the local Navy Base and left after 5 minutes due to the huge turnout of counter protesters. Then they had planned a stop at the local Jewish temple but they were no-shows..Still, Over 200 Counter Protesters showed up to show Love not Hate. This morning they went to a huge Convention center that was holding some kind of Military Even where they kept shouting at the troops how God hated them etc..It was a nasty sight. They were cussing the Police out and calling them names so I stepped in and said "You had better be thankful you have them to protect you" she responded.. "If I wanted you're advice I would have asked for it, Peanut Boy.." So that made me famous too! :). Later on in the day they carried their signs to Richmond, Va to the Virginia holocaust museum to hold signs about how God "Hates Jews" etc.. They were met by about 300+ counter protesters whome raised money for different chairity's etcc.. the whole time Westboro were there. About 15 Preachers. Rabbis and other religious leaders from the area intercepted them and told them how we wouldn't accept that kind of hate in VA..Of course they just tuned them out and kept singing their stupid, making no sense songs. One Guy played music thru a loud speaker and drowned their hate out. Tomorrow these IDIOTS are acutally going to protest a Military Funeral. I expect another STRONG showing of counter protesters.

News Links: http://www.wtkr.com/news/wtkr-wbc-church-p...0,4438353.story
UPDATE: Protests and counter-protests planned - NBC12 News, Weather Sports, Traffic, and Programming Guide for Richmond, VA |
Westboro Baptist Church counter-protest in Norfolk, VA - CNN iReport

Pictures:
Me with my sign:

My Sign:
2w2fwxl.jpg

My Friends Sign:
15zrqfc.jpg

Another Friends Sign:
2mhzq1f.jpg

Counter Protesters:
2wbu9oh.jpg

Members of an Interfaith Organiziation confront Westboro:
20rn28w.jpg

I think it's awesome how so many people, from diverse backgrounds can come together and protest these dispicable people. I hope just as many or more show up tomorrow to counter protest.

Anyways, Just figured I would share these stories and Photos.
~YL

I remember when they came to this area to protest at a soldier's funeral a few years back. Absolutely disgusting. There were counterprotests here too, everyone from hardcore bikers to Quakers to schoolkids showed up and stayed with the mourners every step of the way.

Free speech has to allow even these scumbags a voice, but it's good so many people get together to counter it when it counts. Good for you for being part of it!

Good for you Lefty for actually getting out there with the others to show what idiots/freaks/nutters these people are. It's good to see teens who stand up for what they believe in.

Someone on here asked if you were a sock puppet because you don't live on here 24/7 like some do. Instead, you ARE out there doing something you believe in!

Good for you! :clap2:

way to go....little one....you showed you know why you were given a spine....they count on the police not being able to protect them and then sue the town or city for it...they came to a funeral in mt city tn....rolling thunder came too..the family was totally unaware that westboro was there...due to the work of rolling thunder

the great commonwealth of virginia is much more civil than nc

Free speech has to allow even these scumbags a voice, but it's good so many people get together to counter it when it counts. Good for you for being part of it!

See, this is what I love about the USA. It is all right here in this statement.

I agree they are turds, but you allow them a voice and your response is to tell them what you think. That is democracy, that is what a free people do.

So many of the world's democracies have "speech codes" or "hate speech laws", including my own, Australia. Because the government has determined they are better at determining what you can say, and hear, and respond, then you are.

Not in the USA.

You beautiful American bastards and bitches hang on to that right or I will come over and kick your ass two sides to censorship.

I have discussed these creeps on other boards I have been on. When ever there is a 1st AM issue I turn to the 1st AM Center to see if any cases are there before googling.

Here is one from the 4th Circuit.

firstamendmentcenter.org: commentary

Some courts disagree have have set up some type of "bubble zones" or such that the creeps can't cross.

I have discussed these creeps on other boards I have been on. When ever there is a 1st AM issue I turn to the 1st AM Center to see if any cases are there before googling.

Here is one from the 4th Circuit.

firstamendmentcenter.org: commentary

Some courts disagree have have set up some type of "bubble zones" or such that the creeps can't cross.

Here they simply relied on refusing to allow the whackjobs on private property, while the counterprotesters were invited onto the property by the owners - at both the church and the cemetery. It set up a perfectly acceptable buffer zone without any First Amendment hassles. First and only time I've ever seen either a church or a cemetery refuse entrance to anybody, but both ARE private property. Kudos to them for common sense. :thup:

Forum List

Back