Westboro Babtist Church at Elizibeth Edwards Funeral

There is nothing wrong with getting the Courts to issue Restraining Orders that keep them far enough away to not be heard during the event's.

The courts don't have to issue restraining orders. Remember the recent SCOTUS case involving these people and the Matthews family? The town simply issued the permit for the protest for a site a few hundred yards away. The family didn't even know they were present until after the fact.

And that was using already existing time, place and manner restrictions. It doesn't take gutting the First or running to the courts to protect the families. Just a little common sense.

I think there should be a national standard in this case. Not relying on individual local laws. For instance here in my local town, if they went to get a permit, which they better get, they would certainly be prohibited from being near enough to the funeral to be heard; however in the town next to us I feel pretty certain they would be allowed to congregate right inside the funeral grounds.

Forum List

Back