CDZ Were Whites And Blacks Equal Before Slavery?

Were Blacks living in homes, towns and cities or dung huts when whites first arrived in Africa?
They were living in homes in towns constructed of what local resources provided. They had social mores and cultural traditions and values that were different from Europeans, so some European genius looked at Africans and said, Hey! Can I keep one? What is wrong with that, for starters?
European cities shin deep in human waste and teeming with disease might not really be considered superior in some books.

hqdefault.jpg

Were Blacks living in homes, towns and cities or dung huts when whites first arrived in Africa?
They were living in homes in towns constructed of what local resources provided. They had social mores and cultural traditions and values that were different from Europeans, so some European genius looked at Africans and said, Hey! Can I keep one? What is wrong with that, for starters?
European cities shin deep in human waste and teeming with disease might not really be considered superior in some books.
Another self-loathing wigger...

Lets hope your children and mine never end up in this situation. To use this as an argument? Shame on you.
No.

Shame on Africa, for allowing this to happen.

Time and again and again and again and again and again and again.

It's a genuine bitch, when the evidence works against you, isn't it?

Nothing left to do, then, but to cluck your tongue, and serve-up a dose of White Man's Guilt.

Except nobody's buying that old Liberal self-flagellation, anymore, except for your fellow masochists.

...A variety of cultures in East and West Africa. All traces of culture in the enslaved blacks. It's not a question of whether these were advanced cultures or primitive ones. It's a question of knowing how to survive and teaching those skills to your children. If you interfere with this natural process of passing down skills from parents to children, you destroy a person's cultural inheritance...
Such as it was... not much of a loss, in most cases, although the price paid during the course of that loss was admittedly and frightfully and ashamedly high.

Then again, perhaps widespread African inter-tribal slavery had something to do with it...

And perhaps Muslim-Arab slave-traders from the Barbary coast should not have been plundering the African interior for Black slaves for centuries prior to finding the latest buyer-customers (white Euro types)...

And perhaps African tribal leaders should not have been selling their excess village populations to the Muslim-Arab slave-traders...

And perhaps the mercenary Black auxiliaries of those Muslim-Arab slave-traders should have refrained from acting as the hunter-muscle for their scum paymasters...

Yessireebob... one helluva cultural heritage there.

...No, it went far beyond that period, into Jim Crow and redlining. It only ended in the 1970's.
Oh, hell, it's still going on, to at least some extent. Given a choice, folks would rather live and work alongside those who look like them, and who share the same history.
I'm not sure what point you're making, and I think you've missed mine. Your opinion of a specific culture is irrelevant. Your opinion of the morality of slavery is irrelevant. When a more advanced culture meets a less advanced culture the more primitive one has the choice of changing or dying.

The point is that there is a problem. The right or wrong of slavery was a relevant problem in the 1800's, but not today. The relevant problem today is how to lift people out of poverty. There are far too may black people still in poverty. Why? Nature or nurture. If you believe it's nature, then it's game over. These people will never rise. If you believe it's nurture, then there's something to talk about. I think what needs to be discussed, rather than excused, is the dysfunctional culture which has grown in the ghettos of America. It is a crisis of parenting, skills which are not instinctive, and which depend on support (it does take a village). This disgusting culture, which glorifies violence, misogyny, homophobia and drugs, is a direct result of our destruction of the original African culture in which these people could function, and the systematic suppression of their attempts to assimilate into our's. That 25% of them remain mired in failure is not a surprise to me. What surprises me is that 75% have managed to rise above poverty. That's a testament to the human spirit, imo.

The Declaration of Independence, which contains the of t-repeated phrase “…all men are created equal…” was written by Thomas Jefferson, who owned about 200 slaves at the time and never set any of them free, including the mulattoes and quadroons. Jefferson’s words certainly had no reference to Negroes, who at that time had no place in American society except as property.

Whites & Blacks 100 FACTS (and one Lie)

The Declaration of Independence, which contains the of t-repeated phrase “…all men are created equal…” was written by Thomas Jefferson, who owned about 200 slaves at the time and never set any of them free, including the mulattoes and quadroons. Jefferson’s words certainly had no reference to Negroes, who at that time had no place in American society except as property.

Clearly we have demonstrable evidence that Mr. Jefferson wasn't right about everything. Recognizing that one knows one must critically examine what he wrote rather than blithely accepting his principles and utterances as "the be all, end all" on any given matter. In fair defense of Mr. Jefferson and his legacy I can say only that he was very much a man of his day, a day that has come and gone.

They have always been equal it's just that some people harassed them for their skin tone and degraded them and made them not feel equal so that then led to the point of them being enslaved and treated like animals. All men are created equal.

http://www.umbc.edu/che/tahlessons/...d_on_the_Issue_of_Slavery.PrinterFriendly.pdf

Another country heard from:

Jefferson, who called the institution of slavery an “abominable crime,”was a slaveholder for all of his adult life. Successful in outlawing the international slave trade to Virginia, he was disappointed by the failure of his early efforts to end or restrict slavery, and came to believe that a practicable solution to the problem could not be found in his lifetime. He continued, however, to advocate privately his own emancipation plan, which included a provision for resettling slaves outside the United States.
While considering slavery a moral travesty, hideous evil, and clearly at odds with his values of the American Revolution and republican virtue, Jefferson owned several hundred slaves at his home at Monticello
and surrounding agricultural farms and businesses. In much of his correspondence to friends and business associates, Jefferson laments the immoral institution of slavery and yet describes how it must continue.

Forum List

Back