We're Not No. 1

What do the republicans have??? Cut, slash and burn!!! The only reform I kind of like that they have is the idea of choices in education. I honestly believe that teachers should be held accountable and that a parent should be able to send their kids with the money to any place they wish.

Other then that! What do they have??? Cut science, cut r&d investment, cut blindly through regulations that keep corporations from running our country as royalty.

The U.S. ranks first in incarceration;
The U.S. ranks 1st in prisoners;
The U.S. ranks 2nd in ignorance;
The U.S. ranks 2nd for approval of drone strikes;

The U.S. ranks 145th in slavery;
The U.S. ranks 101st in peace;
The U.S. ranks 44th in health care efficiency;
The U.S. ranks 19th in national satisfaction;
The U.S. ranks 14th in education.

Yet too many people believe the US is the greatest country to live in. I love my country and therefore I am not afraid to admit we are in trouble. What is being done though to solve the above mentioned discrepancies between reality and our expectations? Not so much.

Two things:

1. Thanks for your opinion
  2. Fuck Off.

Again, thank you

Some of what he said is true. I don't agree with him on a few as we're at war and no amount of running with our tails between our legs will get us out of it.

Agree with
1. Prisons. We need to legalize drugs.
2. Heatlhcare is one of the biggest reasons for the debt!!! Fix this and you will be doing a lot towards lowering it.
3. 14th in education isn't acceptable.

The U.S. ranks first in incarceration;
The U.S. ranks 1st in prisoners;
The U.S. ranks 2nd in ignorance;
The U.S. ranks 2nd for approval of drone strikes;

The U.S. ranks 145th in slavery;
The U.S. ranks 101st in peace;
The U.S. ranks 44th in health care efficiency;
The U.S. ranks 19th in national satisfaction;
The U.S. ranks 14th in education.

Yet too many people believe the US is the greatest country to live in. I love my country and therefore I am not afraid to admit we are in trouble. What is being done though to solve the above mentioned discrepancies between reality and our expectations? Not so much.

Two things:

1. Thanks for your opinion
  2. Fuck Off.

Again, thank you

Some of what he said is true. I don't agree with him on a few as we're at war and no amount of running with our tails between our legs will get us out of it.

Agree with
1. Prisons. We need to legalize drugs.
2. Heatlhcare is one of the biggest reasons for the debt!!! Fix this and you will be doing a lot towards lowering it.
3. 14th in education isn't acceptable.

Legalize and regulate drugs. Rdeans meds should be regulated no matter if they come from Pfizer or Guatemala.

Privatize healthcare

Declare the Untied Federation of Teachers an Enemy Combatant, voucher out the school system

Care to share the yardstick used to measure this idiocy.

I would like to see the 144 nations that are 'better' than the US in 'slavery.' Whatever that is supposed to mean.

C'mon Brian, we're waiting...lol
I'm also waiting how you come out with all these numbers Brian. We are not number on FEW of those items but not far from number one.
Education, why is it that people from all over the world comes here to get educated more than anywhere in this world?
That goes with the rest.
Because we have the best universities on the planet - the only part of our education system that is mostly commercial rather than government controlled.

The rub here is that there is no universal stick with which to measure academic success in a nation mostly because education systems are so damn diverse. Comparing education systems across nations becomes rather inane - better to simply look at the ways we can improve ours rather than bitch that we think another nations might be better in some metric or another.

Because we have the best universities on the planet - the only part of our education system that is mostly commercial rather than government controlled.

The rub here is that there is no universal stick with which to measure academic success in a nation mostly because education systems are so damn diverse. Comparing education systems across nations becomes rather inane - better to simply look at the ways we can improve ours rather than bitch that we think another nations might be better in some metric or another.
Well we have perfect education system, the best higher education, but what profit does it give while the eployment-to-population ratio is extremely low again as in 50s?

Put a cap on CEO pay and disperse that money to the people actually doing a little work to make the profit. Privatize health care and patrol big Parma as they are run amok. Double the pay of good teachers to keep them from leaving to go make ALOT more money in the private sector.Legalize and tax the heck out of cannabis. Increase the gas tax by 1 cent and all that money toes to fix bridges and roads which are in dire need of repair.

Put a cap on CEO pay and disperse that money to the people actually doing a little work to make the profit. Privatize health care and patrol big Parma as they are run amok. Double the pay of good teachers to keep them from leaving to go make ALOT more money in the private sector.Legalize and tax the heck out of cannabis. Increase the gas tax by 1 cent and all that money toes to fix bridges and roads which are in dire need of repair.
Half of all taxes will be stolen anyway. Maybe more.

Agree.

As the central government has gotten bigger and more powerful, so has the top .01%...since they get their wealth by buying sweet heart deals from the government. Income inequality and the corruption of politicians and the bureaucracy they have built, is directly related to big unlimited government.

Some of you fukkers need a reality check.

The number of prisoners is - if everything is done properly - a reflection of the number of people who need to be incarcerated. Idiots like to point out a few examples of people who are in prison because of seemingly minor drug crimes, but these are extremely rare. Most of the drug-related incarceration is for serious conduct endangering or harming large numbers of people. Regardless, 99and something percent of the people in American's prisons belong there, and the "high incarceration rate" is largely responsible for the slow but ongoing reduction in the amount of violent crime. Many of the would-be criminals ARE IN JAIL!

America is the free-est nation on earth. It has the greatest creativity, both artistically and scientifically (new discoveries), and that's not a coincidence; it is due to our unique level of freedom (including the freedom to be a worthless piece of shit, living on the street, if you choose to do so). It is the best place on the planet for an ambitious person to get rich, as generation after generation of immigrants continue to teach us.

NO OTHER COUNTRY has the diversity of population that we do, and the ones that do generally have an underprivileged MAJORITY and a tiny privileged MINORITY - the opposite of what we have here. And despite the chronic complaining and rabble-rousing by our resident Poverty Pimps, Black people in this country face less discrimination here than in any other country on earth where they are in the minority. In fact, Black people in this country, by and large, are much better off financially, educationally, and culturally than the people who remain in the African countries from which they originated.

Most Americans (including most posters here) have no idea why Western European countries seem to have better "infrastructure" than we do. Have you heard what they pay for gas over there (USW$8-9)? Have you any idea what they pay in income taxes (about half their income)? Is that what you want?

Americans - and in particular Liberals - have this fatuous idea that we can have the best roads, mass transit, and cradle to grave safety net, all paid for by SOMEONE ELSE. And they conveniently forget that our Constitution forbids such a scheme.

Poll the entire world, and ask people, if they could live any place other than their home country, where would it be? You know the answer. In poll after poll, it's always the same. I guess that's because we are so fucked up.

Agree.

As the central government has gotten bigger and more powerful, so has the top .01%...since they get their wealth by buying sweet heart deals from the government. Income inequality and the corruption of politicians and the bureaucracy they have built, is directly related to big unlimited government.
This is very true.

Forum List

Back