'We're Not Going to Let Our Campaign Be Dictated by Fact-Checkers'

Rinata

Gold Member
Oct 5, 2009
In this campaign season, political reporters have been shucking the old he-said-she-said formulation and directly declaring that certain claims are false. This new approach was signaled on Sunday, when, as James Fallows has noted, The New York Times, in a front-page story, flatly stated that a Romney ad was "falsely charging that Mr. Obama has 'quietly announced' plans to eliminate work and job training requirements for welfare beneficiaries."

But what if it turns out that when the press calls a lie a lie, nobody cares?

Here in Tampa, the new assertiveness is getting its first test on a big stage, and so far the results are not encouraging. As Ben Smith of BuzzFeed has pointed out, the Romney campaign is simply swatting aside the media's objections to its welfare ad: "We're not going to let our campaign be dictated by fact-checkers," said Neil Newhouse, a Romney pollster.

'We're Not Going to Let Our Campaign Be Dictated by Fact-Checkers' - James Bennet - The Atlantic

What?? What in the hell is wrong with these people?? Don't they want to try and win this election fair and square?? Guess not.

This issue has really been both a good and bad part of this campaign. Good, in that the media has finally become willing to step up and say "that's not true". Bad, because Democrats are really starting to engage in post-truth politics themselves (see: the ad where it's implied Romney killed the dude's wife).

In this campaign season, political reporters have been shucking the old he-said-she-said formulation and directly declaring that certain claims are false. This new approach was signaled on Sunday, when, as James Fallows has noted, The New York Times, in a front-page story, flatly stated that a Romney ad was "falsely charging that Mr. Obama has 'quietly announced' plans to eliminate work and job training requirements for welfare beneficiaries."

Here in Tampa, the new assertiveness is getting its first test on a big stage, and so far the results are not encouraging. As Ben Smith of BuzzFeed has pointed out, the Romney campaign is simply swatting aside the media's objections to its welfare ad: "We're not going to let our campaign be dictated by fact-checkers," said Neil Newhouse, a Romney pollster.

'We're Not Going to Let Our Campaign Be Dictated by Fact-Checkers' - James Bennet - The Atlantic

What?? What in the hell is wrong with these people?? Don't they want to try and win this election fair and square?? Guess not.

Considering that alot of Republicans consider such "fact-checkers" biased themselves, why would they care about them?

Edit: To be fair alot of democratic blogs don't like them either.

Last edited:

Considering that alot of Republicans consider such "fact-checkers" biased themselves, why would they care about them?

Edit: To be fair alot of democratic blogs don't like them either.

It's funny that the Republicans don't like them, because they're pretty biased in their favor. The reason more of their claims get labeled as false is because they make way more false claims.

this issue has really been both a good and bad part of this campaign. Good, in that the media has finally become willing to step up and say "that's not true". Bad, because democrats are really starting to engage in post-truth politics themselves (see: The ad where it's implied romney killed the dude's wife).

+1
+2

This issue has really been both a good and bad part of this campaign. Good, in that the media has finally become willing to step up and say "that's not true". Bad, because Democrats are really starting to engage in post-truth politics themselves (see: the ad where it's implied Romney killed the dude's wife).

Get back to me when the MSP actually refutes one of Obama's lies.

The problem is that you can't tell the difference between comments that little fringes of untruth around the edges (that every campaign and candidate engages in) and flat out whoppers. That's the issue here. You'd be hardpressed to point to a single Obama statement that's just grossly untrue. Romney makes those sorts of claims routinely.

The problem is that you can't tell the difference between comments that little fringes of untruth around the edges (that every campaign and candidate engages in) and flat out whoppers. That's the issue here. You'd be hardpressed to point to a single Obama statement that's just grossly untrue. Romney makes those sorts of claims routinely.

Thats comical it really is......

There is quite a bit of video on Obama stating one thing and then doing the oppositie or the same.

Lay off of the kool-aid........

"Starting"?

:lol:

No bias in your statement, none at all. Of course it is flat out wrong.

Remind us how Obama demanded Romney rein in a Super Pac ad he had no control over, and Romney condemned it, BUT when Obama had a Super Pac supporting him claim that Romney killed a man's wife the response was "gee I don't control them" and the failure of the press to do much about it at all.

Nope no bias.

Like I said get back to me when the press openly calls Obama's lies lies.

"Starting"?

:lol:

Yes, starting. Go back to 2004 and 2008. You don't see Democrats cutting any of the harder edge ads they're cutting now.

Remind us how Obama demanded Romney rein in a Super Pac ad he had no control over, and Romney condemned it, BUT when Obama had a Super Pac supporting him claim that Romney killed a man's wife the response was "gee I don't control them" and the failure of the press to do much about it at all.

Nope no bias.

So I think we've found the problem. You don't know what the word "lie" means. What you just described is hypocritical. It's not lying.

Nope no bias.

So I think we've found the problem. You don't know what the word "lie" means. What you just described is hypocritical. It's not lying.

I did not say Obama lied. I provided an example of him not doing what he claimed should be done. He demanded action and then played stupid when demanded of him the same.

Remind us how the press reacted when Obama lied about the costs of the new Health care law? Or how the press reacted when Obama lied about not gutting Medicare to pay for his health care plan? Or what the press did when Obama lied about his claim Romney ran Bain when he did not? How about about all of the ads attacking Romney BY Obama that are blatant lies or mistruths? Not a single peep.

Yeah idiot as if Obamination uses facts....like say:

Claiming Romney killed some woman with cancer, when he was away from Bain.
Obamacare didn't steal over $700B from Medicare, damn the CBO.
Oil drilling production is really the work of Obamination when it began under Bush.
The economy is somehow growing with the highest unemployment numbers ever in the USA.

No one could deny that obama isn't clever. No he didn't eliminate the work requirement for welfare. It's still there. Technically. It's been redefined so that taking a nap qualifies as work, getting a massage qualifies as work.

Nope no bias.

I did not say Obama lied. I provided an example of him not doing what he claimed should be done. He demanded action and then played stupid when demanded of him the same.

Remind us how the press reacted when Obama lied about the costs of the new Health care law? Or how the press reacted when Obama lied about not gutting Medicare to pay for his health care plan? Or what the press did when Obama lied about his claim Romney ran Bain when he did not? How about about all of the ads attacking Romney BY Obama that are blatant lies or mistruths? Not a single peep.

You never directly stated that he lied, but when you go on a long rant, then talk about no one standing up to "[his] lies", it's implicit in the statement that you're claiming he lied.

As for your list of "lies", the interesting thing about them is that most of them aren't lies. Obama didn't lie about the cost of the Affordable Care Act (all of the scare mongering articles come from people changing the time frame examined, then shouting that shows Obama lied), didn't lie about the time Romney ran Bain (unless Romney is willing to admit he committed perjury, since he stated under oath in 2002 that he was CEO of Bain and maintained control of day-to-day operations until at least that time).

Forum List

Back