We're Better than the British, Says Chirac

onedomino

SCE to AUX
Sep 14, 2004
We're Better than the British, Says Chirac
By Henry Samuel in Paris
15/07/2005

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2005/07/15/wbastille15.xml&sSheet=/news/2005/07/15/ixworld.html

President Jacques Chirac celebrated Bastille Day yesterday by insisting that France had no need to "envy or copy" Britain.

Whether the point of comparison was food, health, education or science, France was in far better shape than its old rival, he said.

Mr Chirac, embattled by a run of crushing defeats and record low ratings in the polls, had clearly decided that the best form of defence was attack.

"I have a lot of esteem for the British people and for Tony Blair," he said. "But I do not believe that the British social model is a model that we should copy or envy." (Who should copy your 10.2 percent unemployment rate?)

In his annual Bastille Day television interview he did concede that unemployment was lower in Britain than in France, where it is running at more than 10 per cent. But in public health and tackling poverty the French were "much better placed than the British", he said.

France put a higher percentage of its national wealth into education and scientific research than Britain, Mr Chirac added - "So I don't envy their model."

His remarks were in stark contrast to recent comments by his popular interior minister and bitter rival, Nicolas Sarkozy, who extolled the "Anglo-Saxon model" Mr Chirac so reviles.

Mr Sarkozy even dared to ask out loud whether it was "France that is wrong and the world that is right".

Mr Chirac's response was not only a rebuff to Mr Sarkozy but also part of a concerted campaign to restore French pride at a time of national soul-searching and gloom.

His tub-thumping included French cuisine, which he said undoubtedly played a part in the nation's exceptionally high life expectancy.

An interviewer, referring to Mr Chirac's recent disparaging comments about British food, asked whether he really did consider it the world's worst.

"No, no, I did not say that," he replied, a factually correct answer as far as it went, as he had put British cooking second from bottom, above Finland.

Next in Mr Chirac's litany of praise came his country's birth rate, the highest in Europe with Ireland's, and its status as the world's "second agricultural power".

He reiterated his refusal to make "the slightest concession" on the Common Agricultural Policy, which the Prime Minister argues is in need of urgent reform because it takes up 40 per cent of the EU budget.

Behind all Mr Chirac's macho chest-beating hides a man struggling to salvage his reputation. More and more, the French are wondering how he can carry on as president for two more years when the polls show that fewer than one person in three trusts him.

Asked whether he was worried that France was tired of him, Mr Chirac said: "It is up to the French to decide, not me." He said he had carried out his duties as he thought best.

He even left his options open about running for a third term in 2007, saying that he would respond "at the appropriate time".

Mr Chirac's international credibility has suffered serious damage since French voters' rejection of the European constitution, his bruising clash with Mr Blair over Europe and the failure of Paris to win the race to hold the Olympic Games in 2012. But he remained bullish.

"When I am outside France, I absolutely do not feel on the defensive," he said. "I feel sure of myself."

The president played down reports that Mr Sarkozy had tartly suggested scrapping the traditional July 14 interview because most people would be "at the beach".

The annual television appearance was "without doubt of interest," Mr Chirac ruminated. "It is always good to launch debates."

Before the interview, the president and guests, including Sir John Holmes, the British ambassador to France, observed two minutes' silence in memory of the victims of the London bombings last Thursday.

"No country is sheltered from terrorist attacks," Mr Chirac said.

He was flanked at the Bastille Day military parade on the Champs Elysées by his guest of honour, President Luiz Ignacio Lula da Silva, of Brazil.

Thousands of people lined the streets as French jet fighters roared over, leaving a trail of red, white and blue, followed by Brazilian Tucano aircraft trailing the yellow and green of Brazil's flag to mark the year of "Brazil in France".

Security was tight to ward off any possible terrorist attacks, with more than 5,000 police officers patrolling the capital.
-

the french will never live down their compliance with the german invaders in WWII, the loss of Algeria, and other recent military failures. to understand how the germans had an easy time invading france you have to look at the complacency of french society in the years following WWI. It is interesting to note many french citizens actually thought having the germans in charge would improve their lot in life!!

The British tabloid media is having great fun with this. Even a couple of French publications are blasting Chirac for "exposing the French people to further ridicule." Supposedly, Chirac's popularity rating among the French people is quite low.

Wolfe said:
the french will never live down their compliance with the german invaders in WWII, the loss of Algeria, and other recent military failures. to understand how the germans had an easy time invading france you have to look at the complacency of french society in the years following WWI. It is interesting to note many french citizens actually thought having the germans in charge would improve their lot in life!!

relation between this thread and WWII ?

Chirac, i believe is nuder 20% of positive opinion. Sarkozy has all the chance to win in 2007.

So Gabriella is right here.

German invasion ? read about 1940, French soldiers fought until the death (90.000 dead in four weeks, brave resistance, heroism. But bad strategy for the HQ... - and violation of the neutrality of several countries from Germany ;) )

Not a nationalist analyse, only a precision because I don't want that some people belive wrong things about these soldiers, for some these heroes. For their memory.

Now :

- Education : France has one of the best educational system of the world. I know it, I'm only 20, I lived it. ;)

Maybe not necessary better than the UK system, but at least equal.

- Food : anybody who has taste british food think that it should be forbidden by the international convention about the WMD and the Human rights :D

British food is not good, I find.
French food is really great, and world wide known, probably the best known and loved with the italian one, excellent too. So, here no possible discussion.

- Social : French system is excellent for the population, people have one of the best public services in the world, for everything : trains, transports, health care system, hospital, schools.....
only one bad side : it cost a lot. but it is really a fantastic system.

- Helath care system : The World Health Organisation said in its repport that France has the best health care system of the world.
And particulary in comparaison with the US, or the UK systems.

- Science : French science is excellent. Really. At the top of the top. But I don't know if it's better than the UK science. One thing is sure,; the high technologies are on of the domain where France is at the head.

So, on all these points, Chirac was right. France is best than UK

But Chirac was wrong on a last point : why did he say that ?
it's the truth, yes, but it's an error, for me, to have saying this thing.

It won't help for his international popularity, for France, and for the relations with UK.

padisha emperor said:
relation between this thread and WWII ?

Chirac, i believe is nuder 20% of positive opinion. Sarkozy has all the chance to win in 2007.

So Gabriella is right here.

German invasion ? read about 1940, French soldiers fought until the death (90.000 dead in four weeks, brave resistance, heroism. But bad strategy for the HQ... - and violation of the neutrality of several countries from Germany ;) )

Not a nationalist analyse, only a precision because I don't want that some people belive wrong things about these soldiers, for some these heroes. For their memory.

Now :

- Education : France has one of the best educational system of the world. I know it, I'm only 20, I lived it. ;)

Maybe not necessary better than the UK system, but at least equal.

- Food : anybody who has taste british food think that it should be forbidden by the international convention about the WMD and the Human rights :D

British food is not good, I find.
French food is really great, and world wide known, probably the best known and loved with the italian one, excellent too. So, here no possible discussion.

- Social : French system is excellent for the population, people have one of the best public services in the world, for everything : trains, transports, health care system, hospital, schools.....
only one bad side : it cost a lot. but it is really a fantastic system.

- Helath care system : The World Health Organisation said in its repport that France has the best health care system of the world.
And particulary in comparaison with the US, or the UK systems.

- Science : French science is excellent. Really. At the top of the top. But I don't know if it's better than the UK science. One thing is sure,; the high technologies are on of the domain where France is at the head.

So, on all these points, Chirac was right. France is best than UK

But Chirac was wrong on a last point : why did he say that ?
it's the truth, yes, but it's an error, for me, to have saying this thing.

It won't help for his international popularity, for France, and for the relations with UK.
Convinced me,Just bought my beret,my string of onions and my citreon and im of to buy a farm in France.

Forum List

Back