We're Better than the British, Says Chirac

Discussion in 'Europe' started by onedomino, Jul 15, 2005.

1. onedomino

onedomino SCE to AUX

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +476
    -

2. Wolfe

Wolfe Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6
    the french will never live down their compliance with the german invaders in WWII, the loss of Algeria, and other recent military failures. to understand how the germans had an easy time invading france you have to look at the complacency of french society in the years following WWI. It is interesting to note many french citizens actually thought having the germans in charge would improve their lot in life!!

3. Gabriella84

Gabriella84 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    The British tabloid media is having great fun with this. Even a couple of French publications are blasting Chirac for "exposing the French people to further ridicule." Supposedly, Chirac's popularity rating among the French people is quite low.

4. padisha emperor

padisha emperor Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +53

relation between this thread and WWII ?

Chirac, i believe is nuder 20% of positive opinion. Sarkozy has all the chance to win in 2007.

So Gabriella is right here.

German invasion ? read about 1940, French soldiers fought until the death (90.000 dead in four weeks, brave resistance, heroism. But bad strategy for the HQ... - and violation of the neutrality of several countries from Germany ;) )

Not a nationalist analyse, only a precision because I don't want that some people belive wrong things about these soldiers, for some these heroes. For their memory.

Now :

- Education : France has one of the best educational system of the world. I know it, I'm only 20, I lived it. ;)

Maybe not necessary better than the UK system, but at least equal.

- Food : anybody who has taste british food think that it should be forbidden by the international convention about the WMD and the Human rights :D

British food is not good, I find.
    French food is really great, and world wide known, probably the best known and loved with the italian one, excellent too. So, here no possible discussion.

- Social : French system is excellent for the population, people have one of the best public services in the world, for everything : trains, transports, health care system, hospital, schools.....
    only one bad side : it cost a lot. but it is really a fantastic system.

- Helath care system : The World Health Organisation said in its repport that France has the best health care system of the world.
    And particulary in comparaison with the US, or the UK systems.

- Science : French science is excellent. Really. At the top of the top. But I don't know if it's better than the UK science. One thing is sure,; the high technologies are on of the domain where France is at the head.

So, on all these points, Chirac was right. France is best than UK

But Chirac was wrong on a last point : why did he say that ?
    it's the truth, yes, but it's an error, for me, to have saying this thing.

It won't help for his international popularity, for France, and for the relations with UK.

5. taff

taff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Convinced me,Just bought my beret,my string of onions and my citreon and im of to buy a farm in France.