Were America's founding fathers?...

They're all dead. Any of them that got in the Presidency took a giant crap on the Constitution. So it's all irrelevant as to what political spectrum they stood on.

Article Six is like prunes to Presidents.

Liberal
Progressive
or Conservative.

Put it in context of what each party were at the time.

I figure either liberal or progressive since conservatives wanted to stay with King George.
Conservatives DID NOT want to stay with the King.

Most of them were capitalists who didn't like taxes.

Actually, they didn't like taxation WITHOUT representation.

Liberal
Progressive
or Conservative.

I figure either liberal or progressive since conservatives wanted to stay with King George.
Conservatives DID NOT want to stay with the King.

Most of them were capitalists who didn't like taxes.

Actually, they didn't like taxation WITHOUT representation.

Well that was what got written down in our school history books ;)

The Definition of liberal the OP was hoping to hear was one which vindicated his own idiotic notions.
For their day the founding fathers were in fact Conservative.
The Founding Father's existed after the colonies had succeeded in separating from the King of England. They implemented the Constitution of the US which was a very conservative document for a fledgling democracy. Women had no voting rights, slaves counted as partial people, the central government retained the sole right to wage wars, mint money, etc.
Very conservative.

Liberal
Progressive
or Conservative.

Actually they were traitors to the British Crown. Each would have been hanged if it weren't for the French helping the traitor army.

Liberal
Progressive
or Conservative.

They were liberals of the age by comparison to what existed at that time.

But they did agree that Blacks could be slaves, and that Blacks could be counted at 3/5th of a person for purposes of establishing how many seats a state got in the House.

Given where they started, and what they decided, they were pretty liberal guys.

By today's stardards they were hardly liberals, however.

In many ways they were very conservative (using the term as it means now, I mean).

That's why I call them the FLOUNDERING FATHERS, BTW.

To remind us all that they did NOT shit marble.

You missed the definition of Tories post?

Tories were no longer part of the equation.
1787 - Founding Fathers wrote the constitution.
After Washington had thoroughly routed the British presence from the 13 colonies.
The Liberals of the day wanted to continue taking loans from bankers and then devaluing their currency to pay back cheaply. The Constitution stopped that particular liberal nonsense and attempted to prevent more liberal nonsense from creeping into the democratic process. The educated elite, the ones who wrote the Constitution knew well the peril of anarchy which stems from letting every village idiot have a say in democratic policy. To Conserve their position, they wrote a CONSERVATIVE document.
Lately, meaning about the time FDR took office, the liberal shills have managed to circumvent the constitution, to the detriment of all.

For God's sake people! Trying to apply today's liberal and conservative terms to the Founding Fathers is kind of like arguing whether they were Ford or Chevy men. :cuckoo:

The closest you can come by today's terms is libertarian.

Forum List

Back