Were America's founding fathers?...

uscitizen

May 6, 2007
My Shack
Liberal
Progressive
or Conservative.

Put it in context of what each party were at the time.

I figure either liberal or progressive since conservatives wanted to stay with King George.

They were Conservative fighting for freedom, liberty and the right to self govern. Librul Progressives would have blown King George for free health care

Liberal
Progressive
or Conservative.

Put it in context of what each party were at the time.

I figure either liberal or progressive since conservatives wanted to stay with King George.

There is a saying that I think it would be helpful for you to learn. It goes 'it is better to say nothing and be thought a fool, than open your mouth and confirm it'.

hahahahahah

the rights inability to accept even the proper definition of words is just so telling.

The Jeffersonian wing of the founders were classical liberals, and the nation was founded on classical liberal ideas. The Hamiltonian wing was conservative, and basically had the final say.

Classical liberals who valued liberty, property and privacy, a far cry from contemporary liberals who prize equality and government involvement in ever more aspects of life.

Basically, classical liberalism equates to libertarian. Our founders can not be described in today's liberal or conservative terms.

Classical liberals who valued liberty, property and privacy, a far cry from contemporary liberals who prize equality and government involvement in ever more aspects of life.

Basically, classical liberalism equates to libertarian. Our founders can not be described in today's liberal or conservative terms.

That's true. The term conservative here is misleading. Contemporary cons are not the heirs of the Tories.

no progressives?
Starting a new country sounds progressive to me.

No. The Federalist Party, the big government party, were conservatives. Even Hamilton couldn't have been considered a Progressive.

conservatives did not support America they supported king george.

You are talking federalists, they were not conservatives.

Not necessarily. There would have been conservatives who supported independence, and classical liberals who didn't. But politically, the Federalist Party was conservative. The Federalists became Whigs, and the Whigs became Republicans.

There are still classical liberals around. Just like there are still classical conservatives and classical libertarians around. They just aren't in control of their respective parties. Sadly, "neo" everything seems to be the fad for the last 30 years.

Classical conservatism would be to resist change, thus resisting breaking away from England.

Classical conservatism would be to resist change, thus resisting breaking away from England.

John Adams was a conservative, and passionately supported independence. Washington himself was a conservative. Even Alexander Hamilton, definite conservative, fought in the Revolutionary War for independence.

John Adams was a conservative, and passionately supported independence. Washington himself was a conservative. Even Alexander Hamilton, definite conservative, fought in the Revolutionary War for independence.

How can they be classical conservatives and want to form a new nation? That is highly progressive to me.

How can they be classical conservatives and want to form a new nation? That is highly progressive to me.

Wanting to take power from one government to give to yourselves and your friends is non-ideological.

Classical liberal, not classical conservative. You can't force today's definitions on them. When speaking of conservative and progressive in any system, you have to look at what it is conservatives want to conserve, and what progressives want to progress to.

Forum List

Back