Went trout fishing

remie

Jan 8, 2004
Kentucky
I went trout fishing this weekend and caught a bunch of really nice fish. The biggest was an 11 lb 9 oz rainbow trout. For those that were discussing using cicadas for bait, I was using a cicada pattern fly when I caught the biggest of the trout. Some of the fish we cleaned had dozens of cicadas in their belly. Hopefully some of the pictures I took will turn out well....if so I will be posting them in the near future.

Wow, awesome rainbow!

The largest 'bow I've ever landed was 8 pounds, that baby was a monster. I heard the Jaws theme playing when he first hit. I was using a silver vibrax on 4 pound test... that was one helluva battle.

Originally posted by NightTrain
Wow, awesome rainbow!

The largest 'bow I've ever landed was 8 pounds, that baby was a monster. I heard the Jaws theme playing when he first hit. I was using a silver vibrax on 4 pound test... that was one helluva battle.

I just emailed a pic of this fish for Jim to post. It took 40 minutes to net this one. I had 12 lb leader on my fly rod but 3 lb tippet and a 4 weight rod. I didnt get nervous until I saw the fish the first time and then my heart was in my throat. He had my reel stripped down to the backing more than once and I was running up and down the bank trying to gain some of my line back. All and all I was very lucky to land him. To top it all off my trout net wasnt designed for a fish this big and I had a bitch of a time netting him. Maybe the rainbow of a lifetime.

Here's the pic that remie emailed me. It lost some quality in the resizing, so if anyone wants the original let me know!

That's a beauty!

Congrats, not many people have the skill it takes to land one using that light of equipment! That must have been a blast on that flyrod.

HOLY SMOKES! Nice bow! I've only seen em that big in the Truckee river in the no fishing area or in a freakin aquarium!

Congrats!

holy crap!! good catch! havent even made it out in the warm to wet the lines yet... hell the only lines ive had are satalite lines! ima have to take a week off and do nothing but catch fish... hell id settle for a carp!

Originally posted by Sir Evil
Remie - if that smile in the picture is any indication, I would say that is definitely a rainbow of a lifetime!:D

It is by far the biggest trout I ever caught. I will have to say I was pretty pleased with myself. I have more pictures being developed of some of my friends that went on the trip. I will post another one when I get them back. It shows around 20 fish ranging from probably 2lbs to 9 lbs. Not only the fish of a lifetime, but the trip of a lifetime.

Originally posted by OCA
Remie is that can of Copenhagen in your pocket or a tin of Altoids?

Being in a fish camp brings out all my bad habbits. Too much beer and yes that is skoal. Lucky for me I can go back to the clean life when I get back home.

Originally posted by remie
Being in a fish camp brings out all my bad habbits. Too much beer and yes that is skoal. Lucky for me I can go back to the clean life when I get back home.

Oh boy! Fishing and hunting camps, even this board is too clean for me to tell those stories :D

Originally posted by OCA
Oh boy! Fishing and hunting camps, even this board is too clean for me to tell those stories :D

Yeah, I could have some serious health concerns if I spent too much time in those. We have a rule, what happens in fish/hunting camp stays there.;)

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh...Trout fishin...Love it, but since I broke my shoulder on a trip
a few years back the wife says it's a DANGEROUS sport! Ha, what do women know?
I hope to go next week.

Nice fish ya have there!

Mr. P said:
Ahhhhhhhhhhhh...Trout fishin...Love it, but since I broke my shoulder on a trip
a few years back the wife says it's a DANGEROUS sport! Ha, what do women know?
I hope to go next week.

Nice fish ya have there!

Thanks.....good luck to you on your trip. I have busted my ass more than once on slick rocks wading the streams. Lucky for me the only thing I have broken is a reel!!!

Forum List

Back