Went To Dinner With Retired Irs Agent

The unionization of public employees was an anathema even to FDR. The original social contract was modest wages and retirement in return for job security and civil service protections. Now it is an entirely one-sided affair in which the unions are legally allowed to bribe (through campaign contributions) those with whom they are "negotiating." The results are astronomical unfunded pension liabilities and the political power to thwart any meaningful reforms.

Isn't there something in the Bible about consorting with tax collectors? :)

You're not sorry for posting misinformation about her retirement? How Republican of you.

You come in from (far) left field with nothing substantial to add to the conversation except an attempted insult....how liberal of you.

Your relative is a liar. There is no way she gets 90% of her then income, especially if she retired early.

So, don't get that upset.

A retired military paycheck isn't meant to fully support you. Most people retire from the military at around age 40, assuming they came in around 20 years of age. That means you've got 20 more years of work in another sector, all while you collect that "little" retirement check. You knew what the military pay and retirement system was when you were in it, so you can't complain about it now.

She very well could have been exaggerating, I don't know. However I believe the basic premise is still true; she retired from the IRS very young and has a great retirement.

I'm not complaining about military retirement (although I certainly think there are flaws in it).

But the truth is the military retirement starts at 20 years of service because of the physical, social, and emotional rigors of (most) of military life. Unfortunately due to the political power of public sector unions this 20 year retirement is now the "norm" in many sectors of government work. But you can't compare the stresses of a 20 year military career with the stressors of twenty years of going through tax returns (or most other guv'ment job).

This thread is about the IRS which falls under Federal employment regulation
If those were the terms of employment for California workers, then they earned them

If by "earned them" you mean gave a portion of their paycheck to a politically powerful union who bought local and state politicians who then voted to give them sweetheart retirement packages....then yes, they earned them.

Otherwise, I disagree.

Instead of obfuscating federal retirement benefits, let's consider California PERS:

Regular employees: 2% per year at age 55 plus lifetime health insurance.

Health & Safety employees: 3% per year* at age 50 plus lifetime health insurance. (*limited to 90%)
This thread is about the IRS which falls under Federal employment regulation
If those were the terms of employment for California workers, then they earned them

Actually, they didn't earn them. These retroactive increases were political payoff for campaign contributions to Gray Davis, the only California Governor to be removed from office. Unfortunately, these unfunded increases remained on the books.

Forum List

Back