Went To Dinner With Retired Irs Agent

Boatswain2PA

VIP Member
May 3, 2013
I went to dinner last night with distant relative who I found out is a retired IRS agent.

Worked 28 years as an accountant for the IRS.

Retired at age 52 with 90% of her pre-retirement pay. Keeps her health insurance which costs her $100/month.

I don't know exactly how much in actual dollars that is, but she lives very well. Her only other source of income is child support for her one child.

During the dinner conversation she said why she chose being an accountant, specifically a government accountant, over being a nurse (which she wanted to become in high school)...she said she didn't like working nights or weekends or holidays, and the "stress of life-or-death" situations would have been too much for her.

I'm sitting there listening to her thinking THIS is why a few of us pay so damn much in taxes.

I did twenty years in the military, most of it as an operator where I busted the hell out of myself. I got 50% of my BASE PAY as retirement (which was only about half of what I made monthly in the military due to various "allowances" that do not factor into retirement), which means I really get about 25% of my entire pay as retirement.

I went back to school and now I practice emergency medicine, where I work about every third weekend, and frequently work nights. I won't be able to actually "retire" until I'm probably 80.

Our government is broken....

I would not necessarily conclude that our gummint is broken...just that there are some cushy jobs and some not so cushy. You da man for going not so cushy.

The IRS is the collection arm for the Privately Owned (Non)Federal Reserve. The have almost unlimited funds for pay and benefits.

Your problem is that you don't understand that Gov't isn't "broken", it's been taken over by International Banking Interests.

Nothing wrong with the Constitution and our Gov't. It's just been hijacked.

When and IF Americans wake up to that fact THEN we can repair the damage that has been done for the last 100 years.

I went to dinner last night with distant relative who I found out is a retired IRS agent.

Retired at age 52 with 90% of her pre-retirement pay. Keeps her health insurance which costs her $100/month.

I don't know exactly how much in actual dollars that is, but she lives very well. Her only other source of income is child support for her one child.

During the dinner conversation she said why she chose being an accountant, specifically a government accountant, over being a nurse (which she wanted to become in high school)...she said she didn't like working nights or weekends or holidays, and the "stress of life-or-death" situations would have been too much for her.

I'm sitting there listening to her thinking THIS is why a few of us pay so damn much in taxes.

I did twenty years in the military, most of it as an operator where I busted the hell out of myself. I got 50% of my BASE PAY as retirement (which was only about half of what I made monthly in the military due to various "allowances" that do not factor into retirement), which means I really get about 25% of my entire pay as retirement.

I went back to school and now I practice emergency medicine, where I work about every third weekend, and frequently work nights. I won't be able to actually "retire" until I'm probably 80.

She would have made more money as a nurse over a career.

Her only crime is that she was a clearer thinker than you when choosing a career.

I did my 12 years in the Army, got out and went to college, founded a business with my family, and retired on time in a wonderful city.

Don't blame others for what you have not done.

Me thinks your friend was pulling your leg, my dear.

AgeFormula
Under Age 62 at Separation for Retirement, OR
Age 62 or Older With Less Than 20 Years of Service
1 percent of your high-3 average salary for each year of service
Age 62 or Older at Separation With 20 or More Years of Service1.1 percent of your high-3 average salary for each year of service
[THEAD] [/THEAD]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

if you retire after 20 years, (your friend retired at 28 years) you get for retirement, 1.0% of your income for the 3 highest income years, for every year you worked for them....

so IF I am understanding this correctly, this woman would get as her retirement, around 28% of her highest income earned average as her retirement and NOT 90%?

Here's the link explaining federal retirement:

FERS Information

I too missed the "career boat".

I will never be able to retire (unless I win the lottery), and I will die penniless.

But by God I'm determined to die happy. :beer:
Yes you can!!!
This is fine. No worries here.
If we can get the kid through the next four years of college, then my life will be complete.
I'll no longer have any real purpose in life other than exhaling climate-changing poisons.

As a retired federal employee, I say bullshit

There is no normal retirement at 52. If you take an early retirement you take a 2% a year under 55 hit. At best, with 28 years in under CSRS which would pay around 54% of her high three. With a 6% hit she would be down to around 48% of her base pay

Last edited:

Law enforcement officers have the same benefits in California. Retire after 30 years with 90% of pay in pension. I considered putting twenty years in the navy in '66 but didn't do it. I still think it wouldn't have been so bad. I would've retired at 38 years old, still young enough to start a new career and the pension and health benefits would be a big help for the first two years. I would've had the G.I. bill for training also, and $300 a month back then would've bought a lot of training/education. Also I would have received $10k reinlistment bonus back in late '66. You could buy a nice house cash for that amount back then. Think I'll go kill myself now for not re-enlisting.
Deck ape? I was a snipe.

Last edited:
I too think the OP's numbers are off but the message is sound and should be heeded. Its not that our "government is broken". Its that the system is more and more skewed against the worker and for the wealthy.

Its true that President Obama has created jobs, lowered taxes, made it possible for people to keep their homes, worked to close tax loopholes to keep businesses here instead of moving to other countries and much much more. There's only so much any president could do with the present Do Nothing, Obstruct Everything, Anti-America Repub congress and senate Republicans just voted to defeat an amendment to limit the power of the very wealthy in elections. Our vote means nothing when put up against the Koch brothers money and, thanks to the Republicans, we will never again see an honest election.

Teach your children that its very likely the Republicans will probably steal their Social Security as we have been seeing them try to do now. Teach them to start saving now. And teach them that, even though we have very little inflation now, if the R gets into power, inflation will likely go through the roof. That means your savings will be less than you thought and the cost of living higher.

Teach them that we are now seeing college/university will be out of reach of the children of the working/middle class because the right is doing everything they can to destroy the middle class. Kids will be going to trade schools in order to serve the wealthy upper class kids who will rule. If children of the working class do get into a college of the future, they will never be able to pay off their education.

I know people don't want to face these facts. If you prefer, you can blame Obama for what the Repubs are doing but, either way, ignore them at your peril.

She would have made more money as a nurse over a career.

Her only crime is that she was a clearer thinker than you when choosing a career.

I did my 12 years in the Army, got out and went to college, founded a business with my family, and retired on time in a wonderful city.

Don't blame others for what you have not done.

I doubt she would've made more as a nurse where we live. I'm not in a nursing-union mecca where nurses make more than primary care docs.

I'm not blaming her for this situation. I'm not making it personal. I'm saying the system is broken if it allows someone to retire at 52 with 90% of her income on our tax money.

Me thinks your friend was pulling your leg, my dear.

AgeFormula
Under Age 62 at Separation for Retirement, OR
Age 62 or Older With Less Than 20 Years of Service
1 percent of your high-3 average salary for each year of service
Age 62 or Older at Separation With 20 or More Years of Service1.1 percent of your high-3 average salary for each year of service
[THEAD] [/THEAD]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

if you retire after 20 years, (your friend retired at 28 years) you get for retirement, 1.0% of your income for the 3 highest income years, for every year you worked for them....

so IF I am understanding this correctly, this woman would get as her retirement, around 28% of her highest income earned average as her retirement and NOT 90%?

Here's the link explaining federal retirement:

FERS Information

You may be right. She gave me the impression that she had moved into management, and said she took early retirement (offered due to downsizing) in lieu of moving to D.C. to manage some part of the Obamacare implementation. I'm not intimately familiar with all of the federal retirement regulations, but I know the guv'ment enough to know that there is the "standard package", and then the package given to select others. I think she may have gotten one of the "select" ones.

As a retired federal employee, I say bullshit

There is no normal retirement at 52. If you take an early retirement you take a 2% a year under 55 hit. At best, with 28 years in under CSRS which would pay around 54% of her high three. With a 6% hit she would be down to around 48% of her base pay

It could be bullshit, I don't know. Just what she told me. I had to squeeze the shit out of my wife's knee to keep from blurting out "THIS IS WHY I PAY 50% OF MY FREAKING INCOME IN TAXES" as she told us her story.

Her birthing hips bore fruit past the formative years.

Child support? :dunno:

She's now 54. Has a 16 year old. Do the math....

I too think the OP's numbers are off but the message is sound and should be heeded. Its not that our "government is broken". Its that the system is more and more skewed against the worker and for the wealthy.

Over 28 THOUSAND posts here on usmessageboard.com, and this is the most honest, truthful, and logical thing ol Luddy has ever said.

But then he ruins it with the rest of his inane drivel.....

http://pleasecutthecrap.com/obama-accomplishments/
Teach your children that its very likely the Republicans.....And teach them that....if the R gets into power, inflation will likely go through the roof....Teach them that...the right is doing everything they can to destroy the middle class....

Don't worry Luddy....the public schools are already teaching this.

By the way, who pays you to post your communist propaganda here??

It seems that right wingers hate people that earned good wages and retire with good incomes and health care . . . but admire those that never work, gain great inheritances, and do nothing at all. Odd.

Try to square yourself brother, for you are not on an even plane. It is the far left who professes hatred for those who have worked hard to earn their money, yet for some reason have a love affair with Hollywood limousine liberals, Al Gore, Al Sharpton, and George Soros.

Again, this is not personal to my dinner-mate. She crunched numbers for the government for 28 years. Does that deserve such a rich retirement, on our tax money, at 52 years old?

The IRS is the collection arm for the Privately Owned (Non)Federal Reserve. The have almost unlimited funds for pay and benefits.

Your problem is that you don't understand that Gov't isn't "broken", it's been taken over by International Banking Interests.

Nothing wrong with the Constitution and our Gov't. It's just been hijacked.

When and IF Americans wake up to that fact THEN we can repair the damage that has been done for the last 100 years.

Our government is being run by an organized crime racket...that's the problem.

Here's some math for ya, cockswain...

:slap: + :slap: = :slap: :slap:

Can you blame her for wanting an additional deduction?
I'd say the child support is worth much more than the deduction.
I'm not blaming anyone for any thing but I do feel men get the shaft in most divorces.

Here's some math for ya, cockswain...

:slap: + :slap: = :slap: :slap:

Can you blame her for wanting an additional deduction?
I'd say the child support is worth much more than the deduction.
I'm not blaming anyone for any thing but I do feel men get the shaft in most divorces.

New rules in NJ

N.J. s alimony law gets an update after Christie signs bill NJ.com

Forum List

Back