Went Fishing

Puffer fish are pleasant too and you can play catch with them if they cooperate !/QUOTE]

I don't know the term "Puffer fish" but I think it's what we used to call "Blow Toads". They are indeed pretty neat. If you want to see something funny, put an Alka Seltzer tablet in their mouth and then toss them back into the ocean!!! You'll be howling.

I usually always throw my catch back in but if I caught one big one...I would have to keep that one. We generally fish for the sport of it. That sport becomes not a sport when you don't catch anything but fish who CROAK at you.

Mudtoads here are ugly, caught a few of those too when I was trolling. Blowfish are not in the York River here. The Jellyfish have been out though for the past few weeks. A little early this year if you ask me.

Bagged a 39" muskie this morning!! :)
DAMN!!!! Tell me you got a picture of it!

I went fishing yesterday, only caught 6 ounce croaker...basically BAIT...I so suck at fishing...or just bad luck!

I'm so jealous but so happy for you.

happytrail025.jpg

Well, I gotta fish story....My husband and I were in the Florida Keys on our yearly vacation there...at that time we lived in the Tampa area of Florida and made it a point to do the Keys for at least one vacation a year...so we go to Bud and Mary's and rent a boat and fishing rods and bait and go out fishing for the day, with also alot of booze and picnic basket full of goodies, and our snorkeling gear as well....we find a spot to anchor the boat, do some great snorkeling then return to the boat to eat lunch then start fishing....

We do not have our poles in the water for less than a minute and matt caught something big....giving him a good fight and then seconds later I get something on the line, a big sucker of something....I was hoping for a big grouper or a yellow tail or red snapper..... Matt's catch was up and it was a foot and a half long Spanish Mackerel so I figured I had the same on my line...matt rebaited stuck his pole back in and he caught another one while I was struggling with this one....he pulls up his second one and I am still working on the first one....

So he gets the camera because it was getting close to the surface and he wanted a pic of me with this FISH that had me going for a bit....this was before digital cameras were so popular....I get the fish to the surface and it was a big old Spanish mackeral about 2 feet long....matt snaps a pic while it is just out of the water with me and a big ole proud smile....and gets ready to snap another one as I lifted it completely out of the water to get him in to the boat....and just as matt went to snap the pic, a BARACUDA hopped out of the water and CHOMPED off more than half of the Makerel, almost to it's head and I was left only with the head and some of the guts.... :(

I was SO SHOCKED by what just happened and frightened at the same time because I was holding the line at that point to lift him in to the boat...my fingers could have been TOAST if that BARACUDA took just a wee bit more of a bite!

Matt got two more pics in, while this was happening and the difference between me being proud of my catch and me being shocked by the Baracuda and my fish gone is PRICELESS! I will see if I can find these pics and have matt scan them in so I can post them!

Needless to say, I did NOT snorkel out on the boat for the rest of the vacation.

Well, I gotta fish story....My husband and I were in the Florida Keys on our yearly vacation there...at that time we lived in the Tampa area of Florida and made it a point to do the Keys for at least one vacation a year...so we go to Bud and Mary's and rent a boat and fishing rods and bait and go out fishing for the day, with also alot of booze and picnic basket full of goodies, and our snorkeling gear as well....we find a spot to anchor the boat, do some great snorkeling then return to the boat to eat lunch then start fishing....

We do not have our poles in the water for less than a minute and matt caught something big....giving him a good fight and then seconds later I get something on the line, a big sucker of something....I was hoping for a big grouper or a yellow tail or red snapper..... Matt's catch was up and it was a foot and a half long Spanish Mackerel so I figured I had the same on my line...matt rebaited stuck his pole back in and he caught another one while I was struggling with this one....he pulls up his second one and I am still working on the first one....

So he gets the camera because it was getting close to the surface and he wanted a pic of me with this FISH that had me going for a bit....this was before digital cameras were so popular....I get the fish to the surface and it was a big old Spanish mackeral about 2 feet long....matt snaps a pic while it is just out of the water with me and a big ole proud smile....and gets ready to snap another one as I lifted it completely out of the water to get him in to the boat....and just as matt went to snap the pic, a BARACUDA hopped out of the water and CHOMPED off more than half of the Makerel, almost to it's head and I was left only with the head and some of the guts.... :(

I was SO SHOCKED by what just happened and frightened at the same time because I was holding the line at that point to lift him in to the boat...my fingers could have been TOAST if that BARACUDA took just a wee bit more of a bite!

Matt got two more pics in, while this was happening and the difference between me being proud of my catch and me being shocked by the Baracuda and my fish gone is PRICELESS! I will see if I can find these pics and have matt scan them in so I can post them!

Needless to say, I did NOT snorkel out on the boat for the rest of the vacation.
I would love to see those pictures. Wow, what a memory that was!

I would love to see those pictures. Wow, what a memory that was!

it was a PRICELESS moment, and a life changing one as well! I don't think i have ever swam or snorkeled in the middle of the Gulf again!!!

Forum List

Back