Went Fishing

Where do you take that boat out at?
Lake Conchas, Lake Meredith, Lake O' the Pines, Lake Texhoma....

Among others.

Because of the hull design, I can go in shallows down to 10" deep.
That's a lot of boat for a lake, MM.

My boat can go in shallows of 6inches. Don't mean to sound like my boat is better than yours because I know it's not. Just saying.

When we got our boat it was price first, then can we pull a tuber or a skier, and it had a few nice things I liked. It was perfect for just hub and I in the river however; if I could do it over again I would have spent a little more to have a bigger boat so we could manage the Chesapeake water's better when it's choppy. (that's almost all the time)

Where do you take that boat out at?
Lake Conchas, Lake Meredith, Lake O' the Pines, Lake Texhoma....

Among others.

Because of the hull design, I can go in shallows down to 10" deep.
That's a lot of boat for a lake, MM.

My boat can go in shallows of 6inches. Don't mean to sound like my boat is better than yours because I know it's not. Just saying.

When we got our boat it was price first, then can we pull a tuber or a skier, and it had a few nice things I liked. It was perfect for just hub and I in the river however; if I could do it over again I would have spent a little more to have a bigger boat so we could manage the Chesapeake water's better when it's choppy. (that's almost all the time)
When the storms hit, I stay out on the lake rescuing folks, towing their boats in and going back out and getting more. A few times, even gave the Lake Patrol guys a tow. I can haul 20 people on this boat while towing a couple of theirs. I can anchor this boat and spend the night on it, the deck is flat. If it starts raining, there's sleeping berths underdeck.

It may seem big but it really isn't. Most of what I see out there will be your Ranger bass fishing boats, they go 18-22 feet long, I see the Bayliners which are 20-25 footers....

By the way I bought this boat used, and wrecked, in 1979 for $500. It was wrecked by being blown around by a tornado, on dry ground. I fixed it up at the cost of around $800 and it gave me reliable service for about five years, before I drydocked it and modernized it for the first time.

I spent $1,500 on the rascal then, replacing the heavy steel rails with aluminum ones, upgrading the controls, re-working the fuel system, and adding two live wells.

In '89 after the Matagorta Bay incident, it got another refit. Then it got another one in '99. In 2005 I did it all again, this time using the original molds and tools, and beefed it up tremendously. It came it of that lighter and stronger than it ever was.

I have spent in the neighborhood of $14,000 on this boat in 30 years. Not too shabby. Especially when any comparable boat on the market today (and there really aren't any) would run you $35K easily. But an example would be the Ranger Z522, 22 feet long and 30 grand. And I can outrun it, out corner it, out perform it. And the owner of that boat heads for the shore when he sees storm clouds.

The reason I bought this boat is I was raised on one, that my step-dad had. His was a 20 footer, a '65 model and looked just like this:

30kfyup.jpg

^^Here you can see the access door for going underdeck.

2pruxqu.jpg

33bhb1f.jpg

^^Here's a good shot of the extreme low profile of this hull, allowing it to have amazingly small displacement.

It could only handle a 90hp outboard though, but was still the king of the lake for its time. The guy who owns this one lives in Florida and lovingly restored this one to all original colors, materials and power. But he left out the black rubber bumper that goes all around this model.

OH cool, I kind of grew up on boats too. Living on the eastern shore my grandfather and uncles crabbed, oyster, and fished for a living. Here is a picture of a Skipjack my grandfather owned. I have fond memories of every labor day going out on the skipjack racing other's in the bay.

skipjack-race.jpg

OH cool, I kind of grew up on boats too. Living on the eastern shore my grandfather and uncles crabbed, oyster, and fished for a living. Here is a picture of a Skipjack my grandfather owned. I have fond memories of every labor day going out on the skipjack racing other's in the bay.

skipjack-race.jpg
THAT is a BOAT!

The Dude's muskie machine
Nice Toy! I never stay out when a storm is coming because well a little something called LIGHTENING. LOL

Do you go out in your boat often, Dude? If so, what water (name) do you go?

Thanks MM it was a lot of work to maintain that skipjack. Every summer my dad and all his brother's would climb the mast, sand it, resin it and pull it out dry dock to work on the bottom. Those boats kind of went extinct until recently where there was a large program to save them, or bring them back rather.

My grandfather before he died finally sold his boat to some guy in fla. The guy was sailing it back to fla and ran it into a large sandbar and destroyed the boat.

Deals Island is where that side of my family is from. I still have cousin's and Aunt's/Uncles that live there. Some really nice childhood memories for sure. They all have an accient too. Best way to describe it is search google for Tangier Island accient and listen to an example. LOL

OH deals Island where I grew up is just like this place. Hear the accients? LOL

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIZgw09CG9E]YouTube - The odd accent of Tangier VA (from AMERICAN TONGUES)[/ame]

Holy shit....i want to catch something like that!

I enjoy fishing. Let me share with you what happened to me long ago.

I'm 17 years old, boyfriends family owned a boat, we go out fishing in the Banana River in Fla. All day long with 6 other guys using live shrimp as bait and didn't catch anything. We go back to boyfriends house, (he lived on the river with a boat dock) it was around 6pm close to dusk. They guys tap a keg and start up the BBQ and I wanted to fish more and all the guys laughed at me and said "You're not going to catch shit with dead bait girl". I didn't listen to them cause I wanted to fish.

I sit on the edge of the dock and within 10 minutes I hooked something big! My pole was so bent over and my tiny arms had a hard time reeling it in. My BF and another guy came running to help me. As I got it to the surface and they with net in hand, I herd laughter like none other in my life. They were on the dock laying down with laughter. I hooked a horseshoe crab in the ass...it was a big sucker too.

After 20 minutes of them laughing STILL and all the jokes, I didn't give up. I would say about another 30 min I hooked something again. Man this was like the last one, it was fighting but I didn't need any help this time. I kept quiet, then my BF noticed, so here comes every guy over laughing and say this time I bet it's a boot, no this or that. It went on and on....then my prize showed. It was a 3 1/2 speckle trout! Needless to say that shut those men up.

giggle

Forum List

Back