Wellesley High English teacher David McCullough Jr.: "You are not special..."

I had a bittersweet moment this week when I was helping a Special Ed student prepare for his final exams. He said "Man I hope I have a teacher like you in college" And all I could think was "You won't". I don't know if he'll make it alone. Colleges don't give a rats ass if kids pass or fail. All they want is the money. And employers could care less about your "family issues". That's the most prevalent excuse for failure these days.

um, that's the very definition of American exceptionalism.

Graduating is not 'exceptional', Ravster.... that's just the opening of the door to being exceptional. It's no wonder our young people have such over-inflated opinions of themselves... twits tell them that graduating school is the end. You don't do our kids any favors by belittling them that way.

Well, his message wasn't wrong but it was certainly slanted.

toward what? reality?

equal opportunity doesn't and never should mean equal outcome.

I had a bittersweet moment this week when I was helping a Special Ed student prepare for his final exams. He said "Man I hope I have a teacher like you in college" And all I could think was "You won't". I don't know if he'll make it alone. Colleges don't give a rats ass if kids pass or fail. All they want is the money. And employers could care less about your "family issues". That's the most prevalent excuse for failure these days.

Colleges depend on students to provide their own self-discipline. We've allowed a young society to emerge with little self-discipline...

I saw this vid on another forum....didn't care for it then....don't care for it now......

Because you don't have a value for selflessness probably.

No.....because I didn't care to sit for 12 minutes watching the clip.
I made it to about 2:40....but I told YOU that on the other forum.........

Maybe it was supposed to be funny......maybe I should have watched it all to catch on...but I didn't...so that's that.

Whatever the vid is I can't open it. I remember a sign in the Zendo of the Dhamma Dena Retreat Center in Joshua Tree, CA.

It said: "You are in training to be nobody special".

It was a good speech, it was the truth and he is preparing those kids for the future.

Is his dad the David McCullough? He kind of looks and sounds like him.

I saw this vid on another forum....didn't care for it then....don't care for it now......

Maybe it was supposed to be funny......maybe I should have watched it all to catch on...but I didn't...so that's that.

The video only gets better as it goes. You should have patience. It'd be the best 12 minutes of your day. And you have not talked to me on another forum about this.

The video only gets better as it goes. You should have patience. It'd be the best 12 minutes of your day. And you have not talked to me on another forum about this.

frwjr

LMAO...now that's some funny shit right there!

Forum List

Back