Wellesley High English teacher David McCullough Jr.: "You are not special..."

Oddball

Unobtanium Member
Jan 3, 2009
Drinking wine, eating cheese, catching rays
And you can be the farm that the no dodge ball, no keeping score, everyone gets a trophy, faux self esteem pantywaist crowd is collectively pooping their pants.

David McCullough Jr said:
Yes, you’ve been pampered, cosseted, doted upon, helmeted, bubble-wrapped. Yes, capable adults with other things to do have held you, kissed you, fed you, wiped your mouth, wiped your bottom, trained you, taught you, tutored you, coached you, listened to you, counseled you, encouraged you, consoled you and encouraged you again. You’ve been nudged, cajoled, wheedled and implored. You’ve been feted and fawned over and called sweetie pie. Yes, you have. And, certainly, we’ve been to your games, your plays, your recitals, your science fairs. Absolutely, smiles ignite when you walk into a room, and hundreds gasp with delight at your every tweet. Why, maybe you’ve even had your picture in the Townsman! [Editor's upgrade: Or The Swellesley Report!] And now you’ve conquered high school… and, indisputably, here we all have gathered for you, the pride and joy of this fine community, the first to emerge from that magnificent new building…

But do not get the idea you’re anything special. Because you’re not.[...]

Read more: 'You're not special': High school teacher under fire for commencement speech | National News - Twin Cities News Talk -- Minneapolis/St. Paul

Full text HERE...Site is temporarily crashed.

Good for him......

We have hired a few young people at my work lately, and two of the guys are little lazy know it alls.

• Banned
Does this mean he doesn't believe in American exceptionalism?
That's not what he was aying at all.

What he was saying is that your are not exceptional just because you showed up....That exceptionalism comes from accomplishment, not just participation.

um, that's the very definition of American exceptionalism.

Graduating is not 'exceptional', Ravster.... that's just the opening of the door to being exceptional. It's no wonder our young people have such over-inflated opinions of themselves... twits tell them that graduating school is the end. You don't do our kids any favors by belittling them that way.

Does this mean he doesn't believe in American exceptionalism?

What he was saying is that your are not exceptional just because you showed up....That exceptionalism comes from accomplishment, not just participation.

Negative Rampart.

American Exceptionalism has to do with our freedoms and God given rights.

If everyone is special, then no one is. If everyone gets a trophy, trophies become meaningless.

When my oldest, now 21, was about 15 months they had a Halloween parade in the development we lived in and gave out 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place prizes. 1st prize was a $25 gift certificate to ToysRUs. Dressed her up in a one-piece dot dog outfit (there were really pj's with a hood/ears and a tail), painted a little nose and whiskers on her and she was set to go. She won first prize. Sweet, right? Some parents bitched and moan because their kid didn't win. After that year they tossed the whole 'prize' thing and just gave everyone some juice and a cookie. :rolleyes:

Fuck that, damn whiners. Instead of saying "hey next year I'm gonna do a really great costume to see if I can win" they boo-hoo-hooed because their little rugrat's feeeeelings were hurt that they didnt' win. Puleeeeze. :eusa_hand:

This article is spot on and should be repeated, ad nauseum, throughout schools on a weekly basis. Coddling turns kids into whiny, lazy brats and life simply doesn't work at that level.

1331266728236_7185442.png

Graduating is not 'exceptional', Ravster.... that's just the opening of the door to being exceptional. It's no wonder our young people have such over-inflated opinions of themselves... twits tell them that graduating school is the end. You don't do our kids any favors by belittling them that way.

Well, his message wasn't wrong but it was certainly slanted.

In my opinion, American exceptionalism is a myth that leads directly to what McCullough is talking about. It makes people feel that they are owed something other than an opportunity.

Ive told my kids their entire lives that they are special to ME, but they are not so special that the rules do not apply to them.

Kudos to McCullough and to you OddBall for bringing this to our attention. Great find!

Last edited:
If everyone is special, then no one is. If everyone gets a trophy, trophies become meaningless.

When my oldest, now 21, was about 15 months they had a Halloween parade in the development we lived in and gave out 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place prizes. 1st prize was a $25 gift certificate to ToysRUs. Dressed her up in a one-piece dot dog outfit (there were really pj's with a hood/ears and a tail), painted a little nose and whiskers on her and she was set to go. She won first prize. Sweet, right? Some parents bitched and moan because their kid didn't win. After that year they tossed the whole 'prize' thing and just gave everyone some juice and a cookie. :rolleyes:

Fuck that, damn whiners. Instead of saying "hey next year I'm gonna do a really great costume to see if I can win" they boo-hoo-hooed because their little rugrat's feeeeelings were hurt that they didnt' win. Puleeeeze. :eusa_hand:

This article is spot on and should be repeated, ad nauseum, throughout schools on a weekly basis. Coddling turns kids into whiny, lazy brats and life simply doesn't work at that level.

1331266728236_7185442.png

Agreed.

My oldest stepson was a trouble maker in school for YEARS. ( I love him but tehres no way around it he was a problem child ) and for YEARS everyone wanted to talk about his feelings. Finally last year i told his mother and father if they wanted to se4e him at least graduate high school, they were going to back off and let me have total control over his "disipline" It was REALLY simple. Do your work, get good grades or no privledges AT ALL. No TV, No video games, no going to the movies, just school work and thats all.

I told him I didnt care how he FELT about the work. It was assigned and thats all there was to it. My boss doesnt care how I FEEL about the work, just that the work gets done correctly and on time. End of discussion.

He's 15. He did well this year. This year was the first year EVER that he didnt miss a single assignment. We were informed yesterday that he made honor roll and he has more time now to do whatever he wants than he ever did before and my wife says shes never seen him so confident and happy.

The RULES applied to him finally, no matter how special he is to me.

Forum List

Back