Well, she certainly didn't kill McCain's chances

She sounded cocky if she's going to taunt Biden like that.

She'll be setting herself up for a fall flat on her face.

If you don't think the Democrats will have a bunch of stuff prepared for that debate then your underestimating them. Look what the media has found about her in a few days alone.

I dunno.. puss biden is already saying she is well qualified... wtf..

She read a teleprompter well... got nervous once or twice but she did better than I had expected... Her speech really wasnt based in reality either. I will like to see her in an unscripted forum.. chances are however that this will never take place... The pubs are already building a little caccoon around her...

Also, "Being mayor is kinda like being a community organizer, except you have actual responsibility."

Hmm..

Wasilla is a city of 6,715 that is 68 km (42 miles) north of the port of Anchorage.[18] Palin began her political career in 1992, when she ran for a three-year term on the Wasilla city council, supporting a controversial new sales tax and advocating "a safer, more progressive Wasilla."[19] She won, and won re-election to a second three-year term in the 1995 election.

In 1996, Palin challenged and defeated incumbent John Stein for the office of mayor.[19] In the campaign, she criticized Stein for what she called wasteful spending and high taxes,[6] and highlighted issues such as abortion, religion and gun control.[20] Though the position of mayor is non-partisan, the state Republican Party ran advertisements on her behalf.[21]

Wasilla City Hall In October 1996, she asked the Wasilla police chief, librarian, public works director, and finance director to resign, and she instituted a policy requiring department heads to get her approval before talking to reporters.[22] In January 1997, Palin notified the police chief, Irl Stambaugh, and the town librarian, Mary Ellen Emmons that they were being fired.[23] Palin said in a letter that she wanted a change because she believed the two did not fully support her administration. She rescinded the firing of the librarian, but not the police chief.[24] The chief filed a lawsuit; but a court dismissed it, finding that the mayor had the right to fire city employees for nearly any reason.[25] According to Ann Kilkenny, a Democrat who observed City Council, Palin also brought up the idea of banning some books at one meeting, but did not follow through with the idea.[20]

As mayor of Wasilla, Palin was in charge of the city Police Department, consisting of 25 officers, and Public Works.[26] She was praised for cutting property taxes by 40%[27] while improving roads and sewers and strengthening the Police Department.[20] She also reduced the mayoral salary, reduced spending on the town museum, and opposed a bigger library.[27] She increased the city sales tax to pay for the new Wasilla Multi-Use Sports Complex,[26] which eventually went over budget due to an eminent domain lawsuit.[28]

Palin ran for re-election against Stein in 1999[6][29] and was returned to office by a margin of 909 to 292 votes.[30] Palin was also elected president of the Alaska Conference of Mayors.[31]

During her second term as mayor, Palin hired the Anchorage-based lobbying firm of Robertson, Monagle & Eastaugh to lobby for earmarks for Wasilla. The effort was led by Steven Silver, a former chief of staff for Senator Ted Stevens,[32] and it secured nearly $27 million in earmarked funds. The earmarks included $500,000 for a youth shelter, $1.9 million for a transportation hub, $900,000 for sewer repairs, and $15 million for a rail project linking Wasilla and the ski resort community of Girdwood.[33] Some of the earmarks were criticized by Senator McCain.[34]

In 2002, term limits prevented Palin from running for a third term as mayor.[35] Her stepmother-in-law, Faye Palin, ran for the office but lost the election to Dianne Keller[36] after Sarah Palin endorsed Keller,[20] her cousin.[citation needed]

- Wikipedia

Sarah Palin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And of course..

Political Irony Palin - ceremonial head of Wasilla AK

So to fix her statement:

"Having a ceremonial job as mayor is kinda like being a community organizer, except you don't make a difference." (Least a positive one anyway)

I think there's a danger for the Democrats in underestimating this woman.

You don't become governor of a state and over-turn a corrupt good ole boys network without being tough.

Thank you. It's clear McCain made a very calculated choice in this woman. She's exactly what his campaign needed. Romney showed tonight that he was the WRONG choice for VP, he was not very well received. It seems Giuliani would have been a great choice, the crowd loved him, and he gave a great speech directed at Obama.

It's getting Michelle Obama close enough.

Speaking of Michelle, I LOVED how all the major speakers said, "I've ALWAYS been proud to be an American."

I thought going after Michelle was actually one of the low points.

I dunno.. puss biden is already saying she is well qualified... wtf..

She read a teleprompter well... got nervous once or twice but she did better than I had expected... Her speech really wasnt based in reality either. I will like to see her in an unscripted forum.. chances are however that this will never take place... The pubs are already building a little caccoon around her...

She wasn't reading that teleprompter. Trust me, I've had to use a teleprompter before. If you're reading from it, your eyes don't move much. Her eyes were all over the place. She used it to stay on track, but she clearly was not reading it.

She gave a good speech.

I'm sure she's a smart and articulate women. She has to be. A woman has to be better than a man to get to the level of Governor, VP, or Prez. Men can get a pass for being an appalling dummy. George Bush is evidence of that. A woman who acts like a dummy cannot get anywhere close to a governor's mansion or the white house.

Bush got a pass- ??? oh please tell me you're kidding. He's been crucified for 7 years !

Good for you, but Michelle asked for it. She put herself on trial when she made such vile remarks as that. Plus, she's a snotty stuck-up bitch who sat with her smug expression through Hillary's entire speech. She obviously has no respect for anyone but her husband.

Thank you. It's clear McCain made a very calculated choice in this woman. She's exactly what his campaign needed. Romney showed tonight that he was the WRONG choice for VP, he was not very well received. It seems Giuliani would have been a great choice, the crowd loved him, and he gave a great speech directed at Obama.

Your a hyper partisan, so your opinion will be balanced against your hyper partisanship. You weren't even willing to say obama gave a good speech. You look at the world through partisan glasses.

A lot of liberals on here are being honest, and calling a good speech when they see one, regardless of party.

So, I'm going to weight people's opinons accordingly. You're so hyper partisan, your opinion really doesn't mean much, except that you worship at the alter of the GOP.

She wasn't reading that teleprompter. Trust me, I've had to use a teleprompter before. If you're reading from it, your eyes don't move much. Her eyes were all over the place. She used it to stay on track, but she clearly was not reading it.

Dude.. the rear shots keep showing the teleprompter, I was reading along with her.... she had screens everywhere..

I agree. I think Romney would have been a terrible choice as a running mate.

She did very well delivering the prepared speech in a controlled environment ...

The will get a bounce from tonight ...

And now they will sequester in a hotel until the VP debate just like they did the past 3 days ...

Considering she's not actually running it is pretty low.

Though of course it's not okay to talk about Cindy McCain's drug problem or Bristol's pregnancy supposedly. The Republicans will scream bloody murder.

(And yes I know she spoke for her Husband when saying this but Cindy McCain spoke for her husband too.)

:booze:

The term doublethink keeps coming to mind for me.

She did amazing. She showed knowledge of foreign policy in many aspects, she showed her knowledge of energy independence, she showed her understanding of working-class America, and she took great jabs at Barack Obama. Home run!

:rolleyes:

Puhhhhleeeezzeee

Good for you, but Michelle asked for it. She put herself on trial when she made such vile remarks as that. Plus, she's a snotty stuck-up bitch who sat with her smug expression through Hillary's entire speech. She obviously has no respect for anyone but her husband.

Michelle rocks...

Bush got a pass- ??? oh please tell me you're kidding. He's been crucified for 7 years !

Bush was elected to the presidency twice by people like you.

I guaran-damn-tee you a woman who acted as stupid as bush, and was as inarticulate as him would never have a shot at the white house let alone a governor's mansion.

Women have to be better. They don't get the slack men do. A woman as stupid as Bush wouldn't have a prayer to rise to the top of the heap.

I didn't see much in terms of issues that are relevant to the country's problems.

and can I say how adorable Piper is!

Forum List

Back