Well, oops

BDBoop

Platinum Member
Jul 20, 2011
Don't harsh my zen, Jen!
Sarah Palin still awaiting convention invite - Political Hotsheet - CBS News

(CBS News) Sarah Palin says she's still waiting on an invitation from Mitt Romney to speak at the Republican National Convention next month. If it never comes, it would mark only the third time the prior cycle's GOP vice presidential nominee was not offered podium time at the party's most high-profile political event.

"What can I say?" Palin told Newsweek in an email. She went on to suggest the reason she had yet to be invited was her willingness to criticize her own party as well as the opposition. "I'm sure I'm not the only one accepting consequences for calling out both sides of the aisle for spending too much money, putting us on the road to bankruptcy, and engaging in crony capitalism," she said.

"In accepting those consequences," Palin continued, "one must remember this isn't Sadie Hawkins and you don't invite yourself and a date to the Big Dance."

Since 1976 - the last year nominees for both parties were not determined prior to the conventions - only two of the previous cycle's GOP vice presidential nominees did not receive speaking slots: Jack Kemp in 2000 and Bob Dole in 1980. (Dole attended the 1980 convention as a candidate still actively seeking the nomination, though Ronald Reagan had already effectively wrapped it up.)

Many months ago, she alluded to the possibility that there were going to be some major happenings at this convention. Gonna be hard to make that happen if they won't invite her.

Somebody call Mitt, let him know he dropped yon ball.

• Banned
Sarah Palin Still Waiting for Romney Invite to Tampa - Newsweek and The Daily Beast

Some were resentful about the way the Romney forces had moved like “the Dark Star,” as one participant put it, against Romney’s opponents during the primaries. The deeper feeling was that Romney was just the wrong man for the moment. Romney had spent much of the campaign seeming to ignore the Tea Party, standing back while his rivals adopted the activists’ rhetoric and solicited the favor of their leaders, each rising and falling in turn. Romney’s campaign had, in fact, maintained an open channel to Kremer and the Tea Party Express, just in case. The Tea Party had scheduled its first-ever presidential debate, on CNN, for September, and Kremer knew that if frontrunner Romney didn’t show up, the event would be a bust. As it happened, by the time of the debate, Romney was getting hammered in the polls by Texas Gov. Rick Perry, and was in urgent need of some street cred. He agreed to the debate, and the Tea Party Express hosted a New Hampshire rally for him the week before—to mixed results. Among the activists in the crowd were two dozen or so who were there to protest against Romney (including one anti-Romneyite who dressed as Flipper the dolphin and wore a pair of yellow flip-flops).

The crowd was notably more enthusiastic the following day when Sarah Palin appeared. (In an obvious reference to Romney-come-lately, Palin said, “We’re seeing more and more folks realize the strength of this grassroots movement, and now they’re wanting to be involved ... I say, right on, better late than never.”)

But Romney never seemed quite comfortable with politicking in the Tea Party era. Even in the heat of the primary race, Romney seemed put off by the idea of courting the activists, complaining in February that he wasn’t about to “light my hair on fire to try to get support”—a remark that only underscored doubts about him within the base.

At that meeting at the Embassy in May, Cain urged the activists to put all that behind them. It was time to unify, he said, and to defeat Barack Obama. Cain said he planned to meet with Romney soon and offered to convey the Tea Party concerns to the candidate directly. The activists gave him a list: they wanted Romney to fashion a sharper defense of free enterprise, to come up with a clearer vision for shrinking the size and scope of government, and a clear plan for tax reform. They also wanted to meet with Romney personally, perhaps over dinner.

The following week, Cain and his aide, Mark Block, met in Boston with Romney and his campaign manager, Matt Rhoades, and Cain presented the Tea Party case, prefaced by Cain’s own pitch for some version of his “9-9-9” tax plan. Romney was receptive, Cain says, although he notes that Romney made no commitments. The hoped-for dinner with Tea Party leaders has not been scheduled.

Romney's camp will have to be a special kind of stupid to pass on Sarah. Seriously, and truly. He NEEDS her. Not as VP, but she can mobilize the troops like no one else.

Sarah Palin is personally popular, but I don't think she will induce anyone to vote for Mitt who wasn't already going to. If he appears to snub her it could piss some people off, but only a few.

• Banned
He needs his base to be enthusiastic about HIM, not "anybody but Obama, so I guess I'll vote for Romney, since he's the candidate." /yawn

(CBS News) Sarah Palin says she's still waiting on an invitation from Mitt Romney to speak at the Republican National Convention next month. If it never comes, it would mark only the third time the prior cycle's GOP vice presidential nominee was not offered podium time at the party's most high-profile political event.

"What can I say?" Palin told Newsweek in an email. She went on to suggest the reason she had yet to be invited was her willingness to criticize her own party as well as the opposition. "I'm sure I'm not the only one accepting consequences for calling out both sides of the aisle for spending too much money, putting us on the road to bankruptcy, and engaging in crony capitalism," she said.

"In accepting those consequences," Palin continued, "one must remember this isn't Sadie Hawkins and you don't invite yourself and a date to the Big Dance."

Since 1976 - the last year nominees for both parties were not determined prior to the conventions - only two of the previous cycle's GOP vice presidential nominees did not receive speaking slots: Jack Kemp in 2000 and Bob Dole in 1980. (Dole attended the 1980 convention as a candidate still actively seeking the nomination, though Ronald Reagan had already effectively wrapped it up.)

Many months ago, she alluded to the possibility that there were going to be some major happenings at this convention. Gonna be hard to make that happen if they won't invite her.

I hope Romney has the balls to tell her to go away.

I doubht he does.

Of course, now that he has the nomination locked up, he has no need for the conservative base that alienates moderates.

Say, cheese, jackasses!

so the other threads werent enough?

she doesnt need an invite to come to the convention

the absolute HATE you people have for a former WOMAN Governor, Vice Presidential candidate

show us your class

I hope Romney has the balls to tell her to go away.

I doubht he does.

Of course, now that he has the nomination locked up, he has no need for the conservative base that alienates moderates.

Say, cheese, jackasses!

Doesn't he need every vote he can get? Or are you saying that even TP'ers will vote for him simply by virtue of not being Obama.

so the other threads werent enough?

she doesnt need an invite to come to the convention

What other threads.

I think the point went "wooosh" over your head. She expects to be asked to speak, as VP candidates from the prior election most often are.

Comprende?

you don't know what the fuck she expects..It says she's waiting
you people are the pettiest low class
AND there is ALREADY a thread on this, go dump on her in that one

Forum List

Back