Well.. Old DD is biting the bullet, taking the plunge....

Well fast isn't always advisable unless you already know each other very very well. But fast can work too. Hombre and I met in June when I was a summer intern reporter and he was working at the same newspaper. Our first date was in July. We became engaged in September and were married the next Valentine's Day and that was decades ago. I would do it all over again.

This has been 6 months of dating and being together most every day... knowing each other closely for years when we first me eliminated the whole "getting to know you" phase... and our engagement will be a little long, considering we both have to save up for honeymoon time with both of us being at new jobs and vacation plans already for this summer to visit family across the country...

Plus... I am 42... don't think I am gonna have some 2 year dating followed by another year engagement or whatever... We know what we want, who we are, where we stand, what we feel, and that this is right.... so arbitrary timelines be dammed...

I think you are brave, I was married for 5 years and the last year of my marriage was so miserable I volunteered to go to Iraq. I don't think I can go through with that again, so you got guts my friend.:clap2:

Well thank you for your service whatever prompted you to give it. :)

And you probably didn't wait for your soul mate to get married. All marriages were simply not meant to be. But if you marry your soul mate you get through the inevitable bad patches, it's all worth it. So all the best wishes in the world to Dave and his lady for every happiness and good humor to get through the bad patches. And we'll do the same when you meet your soul mate HG. :)

This has been 6 months of dating and being together most every day... knowing each other closely for years when we first me eliminated the whole "getting to know you" phase... and our engagement will be a little long, considering we both have to save up for honeymoon time with both of us being at new jobs and vacation plans already for this summer to visit family across the country...

Plus... I am 42... don't think I am gonna have some 2 year dating followed by another year engagement or whatever... We know what we want, who we are, where we stand, what we feel, and that this is right.... so arbitrary timelines be dammed...

I think you are brave, I was married for 5 years and the last year of my marriage was so miserable I volunteered to go to Iraq. I don't think I can go through with that again, so you got guts my friend.:clap2:

Well thank you for your service whatever prompted you to give it. :)

And you probably didn't wait for your soul mate to get married. All marriages were simply not meant to be. But if you marry your soul mate you get through the inevitable bad patches, it's all worth it. So all the best wishes in the world to Dave and his lady for every happiness and good humor to get through the bad patches. And we'll do the same when you meet your soul mate HG. :)

I got married when I was 19, I was in love and at the time I did think it would last forever. We got married when I got back from a deployment to Saudi Arabia, my supervisor warned me to be careful because you won't be the same person at 25 that you are now at 19 and he was 100% correct, wish I listened to him. After 5 years we didn't even know each other anymore.

I can honestly say I did not wait for my soul mate (or whatever you want to call it) my first time... We were both Army... away from home.... young... naive.. and oh so many other things....

Now granted, I had 12 years of marriage (10 of which were pretty good) and I got 2 incredible kids from it... so regret is a term I do not use in terms of talking about that part of my life...

But I am older and wiser now... and this is what is right... and I am a happy man, happy to do this, and happy to give myself again

I hear you. Being in love is important but it isn't enough to sustain a marriage. There also has to be shared values, at least some shared interests, and ability to grow together or it is very likely to be a miserable experience after the initial 'in love' passion wears off. Not knocking the passion though. It apparently lasts a long, long time. :)

I hear you. Being in love is important but it isn't enough to sustain a marriage. There also has to be shared values, at least some shared interests, and ability to grow together or it is very likely to be a miserable experience after the initial 'in love' passion wears off. Not knocking the passion though. It apparently lasts a long, long time. :)

Yeah... that was my naivety the first time....

And while my fiancee and I have some differences... the main goals, ideals, and outlooks are in tune... what we think of a relationship is in tune... and the passion and love is definitely there as well

Forum List

Back