Well, it's about freakin time

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Said1, Jun 1, 2006.

1. Said1

Said1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +937
    Another example of french policy - being undone thankfully.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20060601.MCGUINTY01/TPStory/TPNational/Ontario/]Link

2. Wolfe

Wolfe Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Its on paper only. I bet no Ontario construction workers ever actually work in Quebec. You have no idea how jealous and vindictive these people can be.

3. Said1

Said1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +937

LOL. Ohhhhhh yes I do. They probably have to pass a language test or something first.

4. Dr Grump

Dr Grump Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,229
    I've had limited contact with Canadians, but the ones I have had contact with have been English speaking. They are keen as mustard to let Quebec go its own way. Your thoughts Said1?

5. Wolfe

Wolfe Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Well I am not Said1 but here are my thoughts...Quebec has been the grumpy spoiled child of Canada for many years. Nothing ever suits them and they continually threaten to sperate unless they have their own way. The rest of Canada are tired and want to get rid of them.

6. Dr Grump

Dr Grump Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,229
    yep that is the impression I've got. In fact, I remember talking to three Canadian dudes who were visiting my country. At the time Quebec was going through the voting process of leaving Canada or staying (late 1990s??). The separatists lost...by a whisker. The three Canadians (from Vancouver) were spitting tacks. They were sooooo keen for the Quebecers to go..........

7. Said1

Said1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +937
    Were you talking to Easterners or Westerners, just out of curiosity?

To be honest, I don't really care one way or another as it would probably have zero effect on me in the long run. The LCBO is open on Sunday's in Ontario now, so no need to cross the bridge and visit a depaneur. :laugh:

But seriously, when I think about what it means economically, Quebec would be foolish to seperate since they will lose all protections afforded to them (primarily cultural ie: number of english language films allowed in theatres) through representation at various international organizations (WTO) through Canada. They won't get a shared customs union and free mobility won't be an option either, vertually bankrupting little towns like Hull where they depend on Ottawa for employment. And, as you know, all concessions granted must be granted to all members - meaning that being subjected to freer markets will be a hard adjustment since they also won't be able to protect Hydro Quebec and other provincial monopolies. If granted entry into NAFTA, this won't be the case any longer. Then there's their debt, which they don't seem to think they'll be taking all of it with them either. I could go on and on.

There's a lot of misconceptions on behalf of the seperatists, who argue stupid things like "Quebec knows what's best for Quebec" etc, etc. All culturually motivated, with out much foresight into the future.

Here's a great source (Federal gov of course :D) I used in writing a term paper. http://www.fin.gc.ca/news95/95-073e.html

Not to biased or anything. :laugh:

8. Dr Grump

Dr Grump Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,229
    Interesting..the guys I spoke to were westerners. Didn't Nova Scotia or Newfoundland separate from Canada a hundred years ago and go bankrupt???

9. Wolfe

Wolfe Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Said1,
    Do you think any of that matters to Quebec seperatists? They conveniently leave out logic when making their arguments. Personally I am for seperation as reality would make these idiots shut their mouths. As it stands now only a few seem to see how a separate quebec would need to pull ip its socks to be a success.

10. Wolfe

Wolfe Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6
    No. Newfoundland was absorbed into Canada in 1949 because Britain could no longer afford to keep them.