Well Is It Just Me

What did Monique's Best Supporting Actress acceptance speech mean?

"About the performance and not the politics"? Does that mean she's saying she won because she gave the best performance? That if someone else had won it would have been about politics?

The first sounds conceited, the second like a slap in the face. Am I missing something here? I haven't seen the film 'Precious', so maybe it's got something to do with that. Very odd thing to say.

No, you nailed it. It was an ingracious, decidedly un-humble and quite conceited piece of crap.

Her whole speech was a black power fist in the air.....and every black person in the audience held back from pumping their fist, as it would have been inappropriate, indelicate and made them all look like Kanye West, only at the Oscars and not the MVA's.
Prove that she was even referring to race.

I understand that she didn't want to go out and plug the movie for the studio because her stand up act was booked and she was quite busy. How is THAT about race? Oh yeah, because that's what YOU see. :doubt:

Who watches that crap anyway?
People Magazine afficianados?

Not me.
I watched about 5 minutes of red carpet .. "Oh that dress is just horrible for her!" bullshit and had to shut it off.
Personally, I don't give a rat's ass about celebrities. They bore me, as does their lives.

I think the folks that watch the Oscars annually are folks who already live vicariously throught the lives of celebrities anyway.

Dont' get me wrong, I do love the dresses and jewelry and hairstyles ... I'd just have to watch the entire show with the volume turned down.

Please, I meant no offensive to ANY USMB member who tuned in to watch.

I honestly forgot it was this Sunday.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1dhnL2mm4Y]YouTube - Monique Wins!!!! Best Supporting Actress Role For Precious![/ame]

So what did she mean? Why the hostility? dayuuummm!

Who watches that crap anyway?
People Magazine afficianados?

I have no idea. This kind of crap goes over my head..... happily.

Don't care who wins, who dies, who breeds, or any of it. This 'celebrity culture' gives me the creeps.
Me too. I am soooooo out of the loop when others talk about Hollywood folks. I know little to nothing about their work, their lives, or much of anything about whoever they are.

Get with the game folks!

The media tells us these people are wonderful, therefore they are.
Too true. :lol:

I was having a conversation with a gentleman friend just the other week about this. He is a very upbeat guy and says 'hello, how are you today' quite often to strangers. We happened to be talking about being a celebrity when we were waiting for a plane. I told him I would hate every minute of it as I would not get a moment to myself when at an airport, for example. He said he would love it because all he would have to do is to say, "hello, how are you" to a perfect stranger; that stranger would remember it and repeat that Mr. Joe Celebrity is a great guy - he asked me how I was!!!!

He had a point.

Get with the game folks!

I was having a conversation with a gentleman friend just the other week about this. He is a very upbeat guy and says 'hello, how are you today' quite often to strangers. We happened to be talking about being a celebrity when we were waiting for a plane. I told him I would hate every minute of it as I would not get a moment to myself when at an airport, for example. He said he would love it because all he would have to do is to say, "hello, how are you" to a perfect stranger; that stranger would remember it and repeat that Mr. Joe Celebrity is a great guy - he asked me how I was!!!!

He had a point.

I once had dinner with John McEnroe in London. During the meal (about 2 hours), at least 20 people came up to the table and asked for his autograph. Every time he said yes, was polite, and signed a personalized autograph for anyone that wanted one. Very unlike his on court persona. He said it happened all the time. This was in about 1983.

John McEnroe.. ahhhh, those were the days. Yvonne Gologong (sp) Chris Everett. wonder where they are now?

Last edited:
I just heard Chris Everett got a divorce...

For the longest time I thought the Kardashian's mom (Kris) was Chris Everett, lol.

Get with the game folks!

He had a point.

I once had dinner with John McEnroe in London. During the meal (about 2 hours), at least 20 people came up to the table and asked for his autograph. Every time he said yes, was polite, and signed a personalized autograph for anyone that wanted one. Very unlike his on court persona. He said it happened all the time. This was in about 1983.
That's exactly what would drive me batty. I would not be that composed about it at all. That does not appeal to me. Or, I would become hermit-like, as Howard Hughes did.

He had a point.

That's exactly what would drive me batty. I would not be that composed about it at all. That does not appeal to me. Or, I would become hermit-like, as Howard Hughes did.

I made that point to him. I said "How can you stand it?" He said words to the effect of "If I want to keep playing [tennis], what choice do I have?"

I made that point to him. I said "How can you stand it?" He said words to the effect of "If I want to keep playing [tennis], what choice do I have?"
True. I think that is sort of the point my friend was making, too. All 20 of those folks probably said that McEnroe is a great guy simply because he did not go off on them. Word of mouth is the most powerful ad/PR, IMO.

Forum List

Back