Well I'll be! I'm a pioneer of environmentalism!

manifold

Diamond Member
Feb 19, 2008
your dreams
The Associated Press: Brazil forest group: Go green _ go in the shower

RIO DE JANEIRO — New TV ads are encouraging Brazilians to save water — by urinating in the shower. Brazilian environmental group SOS Mata Atlantica says the campaign, running on several television stations, uses humor to persuade people to reduce flushes. The group says if a household avoids one flush a day, it can save up to 4,380 liters (1,157 gallons) of water annually.

The Associated Press: Brazil forest group: Go green _ go in the shower

RIO DE JANEIRO — New TV ads are encouraging Brazilians to save water — by urinating in the shower. Brazilian environmental group SOS Mata Atlantica says the campaign, running on several television stations, uses humor to persuade people to reduce flushes. The group says if a household avoids one flush a day, it can save up to 4,380 liters (1,157 gallons) of water annually.

:lol:

You are indeed at the cutting edge of the green, or yellow, movement. Actually, movement is not a good word in this context. :eusa_hand:

And don't worry about that athletes foot you suddenly get, that's totally unrelated.

More tips: Don't flush until you accumulate numerous "floaters". Yeah, the stench and flies with be almost unbearable but at least you'll be "saving" the Brazilian rain forest right?

I'm doing my part as well. Mrs Scientist and I have installed a water saving toilet in the downstairs bathroom. Even though I have to flush before wiping to ensure the "Baby Ruths" go down then flush two or three more times to get the "environmentally approved" single ply paper to vacate the bowl, I know I'm doing my part to save water because it's a one gallon flush toilet. Those old style toilets used 1.5 gallons.

Green Hugs for me please!

It doesn't make sense unless you turn the water off...the running shower water would still be "wasted" water.

Make more sense to pee in the yard.

How exactly is water wasted anyway? It's not like it leaves the earth.

One little odd fact, urinating on your feet can keep athlete's foot at bay as well as cure jellyfish stings. ;) Stranger but true.

One little odd fact, urinating on your feet can keep athlete's foot at bay as well as cure jellyfish stings. ;) Stranger but true.
And I even know WHY that is!

You have one up on me, I just know it works, not why it does.
It's elementary chemistry my dear. Urine is acidic, athlete's foot and most all fungi are alkaline. (Base) So is the venom of jellyfish! Acids neutralize bases!

Water, in pure form is also acidic, but it's the dissolved solids in tap water which make it neutral, therefore unable by itself to cancel out alkalies.

Little known fact about water: It is an insulator, not a conductor of electricity. It's the dissolved solids IN the water which do the conducting!

SCIENCE!!!!

It's elementary chemistry my dear. Urine is acidic, athlete's foot and most all fungi are alkaline. (Base) So is the venom of jellyfish! Acids neutralize bases!

Water, in pure form is also acidic, but it's the dissolved solids in tap water which make it neutral, therefore unable by itself to cancel out alkalies.

Little known fact about water: It is an insulator, not a conductor of electricity. It's the dissolved solids IN the water which do the conducting!

SCIENCE!!!!

Meh ... I didn't know that molds and the poison were bases. :razz: I know a lot of strange facts about urine that I just picked up from people who have dealt with it. I don't look into it all, another strange one is that many doctors say urine is safe to drink (never tried it, hope I never have to) as long as it's clear and fresh. *shudder*

SCIENCE!!!!

Meh ... I didn't know that molds and the poison were bases. :razz: I know a lot of strange facts about urine that I just picked up from people who have dealt with it. I don't look into it all, another strange one is that many doctors say urine is safe to drink (never tried it, hope I never have to) as long as it's clear and fresh. *shudder*
It's pretty simple to filter in the wild, strictly as a stopgap, temporary survival technique. Never had to do it, but I imagine you're not going to discover the newest, greatest taste sensation that way.

Only reason I know so much about water and chemistry (and electrical control, computer control, electronics, hydraulics, pneumatics, you name it I know it) is because that's how I made my millions and retired at age 43!

I USED to be really bad about droning on about science, technology, chemistry, etc. to the point where if someone asked me what time it was I'd tell them how to build a watch!

(not really.)

SCIENCE!!!!

It's pretty simple to filter in the wild, strictly as a stopgap, temporary survival technique. Never had to do it, but I imagine you're not going to discover the newest, greatest taste sensation that way.

Only reason I know so much about water and chemistry (and electrical control, computer control, electronics, hydraulics, pneumatics, you name it I know it) is because that's how I made my millions and retired at age 43!

I USED to be really bad about droning on about science, technology, chemistry, etc. to the point where if someone asked me what time it was I'd tell them how to build a watch!

(not really.)

I am a lowly network software engineer ... I just happen to remember obscure points of interest and anything to do with math. Chemistry was a strong subject of mine, it just wasn't enough fun nor useful to me in life to study more than what I did in school. I aced the classes, just stopped there.

SCIENCE!!!!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fI8834iCgo]YouTube - Thomas Dolby - She Blinded Me With Science[/ame]

SCIENCE!!!!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fI8834iCgo"]YouTube - Thomas Dolby - She Blinded Me With Science[/ame]
We have a parody of that coming soon, been pending for months... "He lied to me with science" about Al Gore and the Goebbels Warming nonsense!

SCIENCE!!!!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fI8834iCgo"]YouTube - Thomas Dolby - She Blinded Me With Science[/ame]
We have a parody of that coming soon, been pending for months... "He lied to me with science" about Al Gore and the Goebbels Warming nonsense!

I am looking forward to that one to ... :lol: Ideas are already forming, soon they will gel into solid images.

Forum List

Back