CDZ Well, I have to give the "devil" his due...

320 Years of History

Gold Member
Nov 1, 2015
Washington, D.C.
Trump is in the midst of hollerin' at one of his campaign events. I'm not much paying attention to him, but my ears keep catching "lyin' Ted." LOL

Now the thing that really struck me was that after having uttered that epithet several times, Trump finally said, "Lyin' Ted. Now you have to be sure to spell it right. It's el, wye, i, en apostrophe Ted, with a Bible held high in your hand." LOL

(It's in the speech somewhere, I think closer to the end than to the front, but I can't be sure -- sorry -- as it was only on in the background when I heard him do it.)

So, I have to give Trump credit for one thing. He does know his supporters, and I genuinely think that's important. However, I have to wonder whether any other Presidential candidate would feel obligated to spell "lyin'" for their supporters' benefit? If I didn't think Trumpeteers are largely a healthy mix of ignoramuses and idiots -- and no, they are not the same things -- I would think his doing that be condescending, but I do think that of most Trumpeteers, so accordingly I do not think it condescending at all. On the contrary, I suspect it was informative for many Trumpeteers.

So kudos to Trump for exhibiting a keen awareness of his audience. It is a demonstrative tool that I can use to illustrate to my younger mentorees how what they are taught in English class about how one's audience affects the means and modes of one's communication. Things like that are hard to come by, so, thanks Donald Trump for giving me a great illustration of a principle that's not easy or frequently so clearly manifest in speech and writing.

What amazes me most about his dig on Cruz is how well it sticks when it is being uttered by the candidate that utters the largest and most outrageous lies of any campaign.

Trump is in the midst of hollerin' at one of his campaign events. I'm not much paying attention to him, but my ears keep catching "lyin' Ted." LOL

Now the thing that really struck me was that after having uttered that epithet several times, Trump finally said, "Lyin' Ted. Now you have to be sure to spell it right. It's el, wye, i, en apostrophe Ted, with a Bible held high in your hand." LOL

(It's in the speech somewhere, I think closer to the end than to the front, but I can't be sure -- sorry -- as it was only on in the background when I heard him do it.)

So, I have to give Trump credit for one thing. He does know his supporters, and I genuinely think that's important. However, I have to wonder whether any other Presidential candidate would feel obligated to spell "lyin'" for their supporters' benefit? If I didn't think Trumpeteers are largely a healthy mix of ignoramuses and idiots -- and no, they are not the same things -- I would think his doing that be condescending, but I do think that of most Trumpeteers, so accordingly I do not think it condescending at all. On the contrary, I suspect it was informative for many Trumpeteers.

So kudos to Trump for exhibiting a keen awareness of his audience. It is a demonstrative tool that I can use to illustrate to my younger mentorees how what they are taught in English class about how one's audience affects the means and modes of one's communication. Things like that are hard to come by, so, thanks Donald Trump for giving me a great illustration of a principle that's not easy or frequently so clearly manifest in speech and writing.

I've watched a few of these things now - and I generally don't bother with political events - and I remain absolutely amazed at his popularity.

Donald Trump is essentially a walking Rorschach test. He doesn't really say much outside of brags and fluff and hyperbole, so his followers can pretty much just paint stuff in as it fits their fancy.

The nearest comparison I'd make is Palin, whose "speeches" have never evolved beyond a list of shallow political zingers laid end to end.

Oy. Saw this today: If Donald Trump published an academic article:

BYn8rVv.jpg

Last edited:

Although I share a disdain for Trump's name calling, this post belong in a different forum.

Forum List

Back