Well, how very inhumane of us

The baby does not 'anchor' her here. She can still be deported. The baby cannot. But she can take the baby with her and when the child is 21 the child can reenter the US and request that the mother be allowed in with her. Legally, of course.

I understand that, but there is the whole.... omg...splitting up families,bullshit. It usually does not happen forcing the parents out. I have no issue deporting the parents... if she wants her baby... take it with her..

In my opinion... any baby of someone other then an American citizen should be given a certificate of a live birth... not a US birth certificate. The nationality of the baby should be that of the illegal mother. That way there is NO issue deporting BOTH of them.
Considering how important keeping the family together is for Mexicans, I can't imagine there would be very many Mexican parents that would choose to abandon their kids.

:thup:

then hopefully OUR country gets over its guilt crap of "splitting up families by deporting the parent"...get on with it and lets them be a nice tight family...in their homeland

I'm in two minds over this.

Firstly, it strikes me as an incredibly archane measure. Also, putting a pregnant mother under physical duress threatens the baby's chances of surviving childbirth, and they're innocent of anything.

However, some states are at their wits end with regards to curbing illegal entry or are on the frontline, so to speak. The issue of anchor babies is a hot topic, and one that a lot of Americans are anxious to be done away with. The measures described by the link may just be one of several disuasive measues being trialed by states who are running out of conventional legal measures to curb the flood of illegal border hoppers from Mexico and Central America.

There is no such thing as an 'anchor baby.' The child him/herself is a US citizen. The parents can be deported. They have a choice about the baby. They can leave the baby with relatives/friends, take the baby with them, or leave the baby in state custody. But the baby dies not 'anchor' the parents to this country.

Just one gentle correction. The term 'ancbor baby' was coined due to the large number of women who came/come across the border illegally to have their child who will then be a U.S. citizen. Very often they wait until labor pains start because we then admit her to a hospital rather than jail her or send her home in that condition. And because we don't have the heart to separate the mother and child, she then is almost always allowed to stay. Or at least the authorities look the other way way instead of deporting her. SHE is who uses our laws and her baby as an "anchor" to keep her here.

Last edited:
I think it sucks, but it happens all the time. Every county makes their own rules, and Maricopa is run by a hard ass.

From our end, from the Foundation, it was always more about getting bodies to settle wilderness, and cheap labor. It was about building Population and work force. In Countries where that work force is aging, they are in for rough times ahead.

Forum List

Back