We’ll all die one day. Isn’t it time we got used to the idea?

" I’m writing this after hearing an apparently innocuous and encouraging snippet of news – that a new lung cancer treatment is capable of giving sufferers a possible “extra 200 days” of life. Another morning, another “battle against cancer” fought, and in this case won – sort of.

Yet I find myself rather in sympathy with the one in five Dutch doctors who, it was reported this week, would consider helping someone die even if they had no physical problems but were “tired of living”. Because these doctors have the maturity to face the fact that life has a natural end.

The wearying truth is, there are just so many “battles”, and they appear to be multiplying all the time. A new drug to treat strokes. A breakthrough in the “war” against heart disease. A promising initiative on Alzheimer’s. We are fed, daily, the hopeful news: fatal disease is slowly on the retreat. But there’s always one more, and sooner or later we all lose."

We ll all die one day. Isn t it time we got used to the idea Tim Lott Comment is free The Guardian

Feel free to off yourself.

However, doctors dealing death based on their personal opinion of whether or not those 200 days have value...no thanks. Keep it in Holland where the population never really understood the hubbub over death camps anyway...

" I watch the runners on Hampstead Heath every day puffing and panting – suffering – in order to put off the big event, and while I admire them, I wonder if it isn’t all in vain. As a recent study on cancer at Johns Hopkins University revealed, lifestyle is somewhat overrated as a panacea for extending life. Researchers found that more than two-thirds of cancers are driven by random mistakes in cell division that are completely outside our control. And beyond that, there are genetic predispositions, also outside our control."
That is exactly what my oncologist told me about mine. Now eating right sensible exercise are a good thing,but not a for sure thing at all.

Some of the so called healthiest people I know, have got cancer.

If you can strengthen the immune system, it can help, as our bodies are fighting and killing cancer cells non stop. It's a war zone in there.

" I’m writing this after hearing an apparently innocuous and encouraging snippet of news – that a new lung cancer treatment is capable of giving sufferers a possible “extra 200 days” of life. Another morning, another “battle against cancer” fought, and in this case won – sort of.

Yet I find myself rather in sympathy with the one in five Dutch doctors who, it was reported this week, would consider helping someone die even if they had no physical problems but were “tired of living”. Because these doctors have the maturity to face the fact that life has a natural end.

The wearying truth is, there are just so many “battles”, and they appear to be multiplying all the time. A new drug to treat strokes. A breakthrough in the “war” against heart disease. A promising initiative on Alzheimer’s. We are fed, daily, the hopeful news: fatal disease is slowly on the retreat. But there’s always one more, and sooner or later we all lose."

We ll all die one day. Isn t it time we got used to the idea Tim Lott Comment is free The Guardian

However, doctors dealing death based on their personal opinion of whether or not those 200 days have value...no thanks. Keep it in Holland where the population never really understood the hubbub over death camps anyway...

Feel free to off myself?

The article was written from an English perspective. Some posters "got" it.

Feel free to off myself?

I get it.

You're okay with doctors arbitrarily dealing death to people who are sick and vulnerable.

Based on your opinion that if YOU were sick and vulnerable, you wouldn't care about those last 200 days.

Feel free to off myself?

I get it.

You're okay with doctors arbitrarily dealing death to people who are sick and vulnerable.

Based on your opinion that if YOU were sick and vulnerable, you wouldn't care about those last 200 days.

The piece wasn't about that.

Forum List

Back