Votes: 4 8.9%
  • Necessary to Civilization

Votes: 12 26.7%

• Total voters

hortysir

In Memorial of 47
Apr 30, 2010
Port Charlotte, FL
Is government-run welfare really necessary?

Can private charities do a better job of taking care of the less fortunate?

Is it better to give a man a fish to hold him over until he can afford steak, or to teach him how to fish?

Last edited:
Welfare is the practice of paying a living wage to those who have chosen to do nothing as a career choice.

Welfare is the practice of paying a living wage to those who have chosen to do nothing as a career choice.
You can't, unequivocally, say that all or even most welfare recipients are there by choice.
I do, however, agree that there are SOME that choose that path.

I'm just not jaded enough, towards the human race, to think that humans do not want to do for them selves.....to think that there is this large percentage out there that are out to get what's mine.

Like I said, I know that there are "some".
But that begs the question "Why?".

What makes a person think that it's okay not to work and be productive, but rely on their roommate or their parents or, more relevant to this thread, their government for support?

I understand that bad things happen to good people and sometimes they need a helping hand.

But when do you finally give up trying to teach that guy to fish and leave his sorry ass on the bank by himself?

Is it better to give a man a fish to hold him over until he can afford steak, or to teach him how to fish?
Gubmint welfare isn't about the sainted pooooooooor...It's about the bureaucrats.

After all, you abolish welfare and you put the parasites who feed the parasites out of a job, which causes higher unemployment. :rolleyes:

Gubmint welfare isn't about the sainted pooooooooor...It's about the bureaucrats.

After all, you abolish welfare and you put the parasites who feed the parasites out of a job, which causes higher unemployment. :rolleyes:

That's why I think private charities can do it better.

When we create a bureaucracy who's sole function is to provide for the poor, it's in that bureaucracy's best interest (if they want to continue to be funded) to keep the flow of poor increasing.

There is no private charity in this country with the reach and financial backing to help as many people as the U.S. Government can and does.

Is welfare necessary? Depends. Would you like a weaker economy and higher crime?

There is no private charity in this country with the reach and financial backing to help as many people as the U.S. Government can and does.
Bullshit.

The federal gubmint has no backing without expropriating from we the people first.

Is welfare necessary? Depends. Would you like a weaker economy and higher crime?
Straw man sophistry.

Bullshit.

The federal gubmint has no backing without expropriating from we the people first.

Straw man sophistry.

Name a charity that could do it better.

Explain to us what happens when a man loses his job, can't provide for his family and gets no help. What would he do?

There will always be a precent of people who will be unproductive leeches on society. There is no where in the world you can go where you won't see that. The question of welfare is two fold, those( and it is a majority) who need it for hard times, and those that use it to leech off of.

I do think, some states have better welfare laws than others, that reform is important and we should learn what works and what doesn't and implement accordingly.

As to the second, you can't force people to work or be productive. The options are very limited with these people. We either house them and keep them out of the way, or let them fend for themselves and accept the inevitable spike in crime they create.

The most efficient way to halt a crime epidemic in its tracks is extending the death penalty to all crimes against persons. If that doesn't work well enough, extend it to crimes against persona and/or property.

BUT no appeals - gallows right outside each courtroom.

Bullshit.

Straw man sophistry.

Name a charity that could do it better.
No one charity can do it all...That's your first hallucination.

Explain to us what happens when a man loses his job, can't provide for his family and gets no help. What would he do?
Pleas to emotion are irrelevant...The presupposition that if gubmint didn't do something then nobody would is your next hallucination.

Care to go for the trifecta?

The most efficient way to halt a crime epidemic in its tracks is extending the death penalty to all crimes against persons. If that doesn't work well enough, extend it to crimes against persona and/or property.

BUT no appeals - gallows right outside each courtroom.

I dont believe in the death penalty, it's the epitome of big goverment, plus it's not cost effective.

Generational welfare is what breeds the worst entitlement attitude...there must be incentives not to become dependent on any sort of charity, and it mostly comes from parents and society setting a standard for having a strong work ethic. I do believe in a limited safety net provided by the government.

Is government-run welfare really necessary? Probably.

Can private charities do a better job of taking care of the less fortunate? Doubtful

Is it better to give a man a fish to hold him over until he can afford steak, or to teach him how to fish? Why not do both?
As to your poll question, it depends on the individual, as everything does.

Forum List

Back