Welfare Recipients to Start Cleaning the Subways

How are these people indentured servants? They do not have to take the benefits given, and therefore do not have to do the work if they don't want to.

The people being used are actually trained and supervised by union cleaners, under a union agreement.
I know they don't have to, that's why I said indentured servants and not slaves.

Just coming out of one Government pocket than another.

No, it's fundamentally different. Democrats want to protect the distinction between not working for your money and not having a job for your money because they respect diversity.

The cash-strapped MTA may soon put welfare recipients to work scrubbing and cleaning the subways.

The Metropolitan Transportation Authority wants to revive its participation in the city's Work Experience Program - which makes the unemployed toil for their benefit checks.

"This is a program that has a proven track record of doing three things: providing low-cost cleaning help for the subway; providing job training to people who need it, and leading directly to full-time employment for many of the people who participate in the program," MTA spokesman Jeremy Soffin said.

The MTA eliminated 173 cleaner positions last year in a series of budget cuts that slashed a total of about 3,500 jobs.

Read more: Cash-poor MTA may put recipients of unemployment benefits to work again cleaning subways

Sounds like a win/win to me.

Yeah..because cleaning subways will enhance their skill sets and get them ready to get a good paying job.

:lol:

So the idea of just working for the money you get isn't significant to you?

The cash-strapped MTA may soon put welfare recipients to work scrubbing and cleaning the subways.

The Metropolitan Transportation Authority wants to revive its participation in the city's Work Experience Program - which makes the unemployed toil for their benefit checks.

"This is a program that has a proven track record of doing three things: providing low-cost cleaning help for the subway; providing job training to people who need it, and leading directly to full-time employment for many of the people who participate in the program," MTA spokesman Jeremy Soffin said.

The MTA eliminated 173 cleaner positions last year in a series of budget cuts that slashed a total of about 3,500 jobs.

Read more: Cash-poor MTA may put recipients of unemployment benefits to work again cleaning subways

It does. Maybe they can get back their work ethic.

It's a ridiculous idea. And cruel. The MTA got rid of Union positions that came with benefits because it is "cash strapped". But the need for those positions didn't disappear. So now they are going to take people down on their luck..and force them into the same positions for far less compensation?

That sounds like a win-win?

How are these people indentured servants? They do not have to take the benefits given, and therefore do not have to do the work if they don't want to.

The people being used are actually trained and supervised by union cleaners, under a union agreement.
I know they don't have to, that's why I said indentured servants and not slaves.

Indentured servitude (unless as a result of due process, i.e. prisoner) is unconstitutional. This program has been used before, sucessfully, and without constitutional challenge.

Other agencies were still using welfare recipients, notably the DOT, the MTA just stopped for a while.
If you choose to be an indentured servant it isn't unconstitutional.

Ravi - the thread title is accurate. Read the first line of the article.
Just because the New York Daily New's considers people receiving unemployment benefits as welfare recipients doesn't make it so.

So getting a check from the government without working may or may not be "welfare?" It's interesting liberals can make that distinction, but you can't make the distinction between Islamic fanatics blowing up the WTC for Islam and Timothy McVeigh being white which makes him a Christian doing it without any religious objective at all.

Yeah..because cleaning subways will enhance their skill sets and get them ready to get a good paying job.

No.

The idea of replacing people with good jobs..with people who are in dire straights is reprehensible.

People without jobs should be able to train at something that will find them permanent employment.

It does. Maybe they can get back their work ethic.

It's a ridiculous idea. And cruel. The MTA got rid of Union positions that came with benefits because it is "cash strapped". But the need for those positions didn't disappear. So now they are going to take people down on their luck..and force them into the same positions for far less compensation?

That sounds like a win-win?

Government getting the work done for what it costs to hire someone to do it. You're right, that is a very dangerous precedent...

No.

The idea of replacing people with good jobs..with people who are in dire straights is reprehensible.

People without jobs should be able to train at something that will find them permanent employment.

It's just too sad to burst your ivory bubble, so you just go on believing that people who can't get a job and get government checks shouldn't clean subways and earn their money they should go to training classes so they can get computer jobs or manager positions.

No.

Good grief.... cry me a fucking river.

Just because the New York Daily New's considers people receiving unemployment benefits as welfare recipients doesn't make it so.

So getting a check from the government without working may or may not be "welfare?" It's interesting liberals can make that distinction, but you can't make the distinction between Islamic fanatics blowing up the WTC for Islam and Timothy McVeigh being white which makes him a Christian doing it without any religious objective at all.

Judges!

What the scoring on this?

Deflection: 5.9 #Posting something completely unrelated to the topic.

Not a bad score..

No.

It's just too sad to burst your ivory bubble, so you just go on believing that people who can't get a job and get government checks shouldn't clean subways and earn their money they should go to training classes so they can get computer jobs or manager positions.

Swallows is a permanent resident of Victimland.

No.

Worked well during the Clinton Administration..until the Bush Administration kiboshed it.

No.

Gosh..another gay boi wanting a "swallow"? Fuck..didn't think you were in that crew too.

Sorry pissant..no soup for you.:lol:

Being a janitor isn't permanent employment?

It's just sad, isn't it? You have to wonder why they don't have enough money to not suffer from wealth envy and yet they have no idea what most workers in the real world do.

Good morning, retard!

Gosh..another gay boi wanting a "swallow"? Fuck..didn't think you were in that crew too.

Sorry pissant..no soup for you.:lol:

Wow... very telling that you immediately think I am referring to you and follow up with the gay inferences.

Last edited:

Indentured servitude (unless as a result of due process, i.e. prisoner) is unconstitutional. This program has been used before, sucessfully, and without constitutional challenge.

Other agencies were still using welfare recipients, notably the DOT, the MTA just stopped for a while.
If you choose to be an indentured servant it isn't unconstitutional.

Actually, it is. An example is that of Chinese immigrants, who have to work off thier travel fee to those who brought them here. This is illegal, and has been prosecuted.

The only thing close would be an au pair situation, but here, while the travel is paid for, the person also recieves a salary, and while there may be a penalty for leaving early, they are not bound to stay if they do not want to.

Forum List

Back