Welfare Recipients to Start Cleaning the Subways

chanel

Silver Member
Jun 8, 2009
People's Republic of NJ
The cash-strapped MTA may soon put welfare recipients to work scrubbing and cleaning the subways.

The Metropolitan Transportation Authority wants to revive its participation in the city's Work Experience Program - which makes the unemployed toil for their benefit checks.

"This is a program that has a proven track record of doing three things: providing low-cost cleaning help for the subway; providing job training to people who need it, and leading directly to full-time employment for many of the people who participate in the program," MTA spokesman Jeremy Soffin said.

The MTA eliminated 173 cleaner positions last year in a series of budget cuts that slashed a total of about 3,500 jobs.

Read more: Cash-poor MTA may put recipients of unemployment benefits to work again cleaning subways

Sounds like a win/win to me.

Surely this will trample on the rights of the un inspired, surely this will somehow invade someone's delecate privacy,, and if that don't work just say "it's extreme":tongue:

Seems like Clinton's welfare to work programs that fell by the wayside when Rs took over.

WOW. That should be a novel experience for some welfare receipients. They will actually have to earn that free ride. They will have to get up in the morning and go to WORK.

Unemployment isn't welfare...you should change your thread title.
Correct. Like Social"ist" security, it's a form of insurance..........just don't say that around them thar flag waving murkins. You might wind up stoned.........( I don't mean the fun kinda stoned either)

The cash-strapped MTA may soon put welfare recipients to work scrubbing and cleaning the subways.

The Metropolitan Transportation Authority wants to revive its participation in the city's Work Experience Program - which makes the unemployed toil for their benefit checks.

"This is a program that has a proven track record of doing three things: providing low-cost cleaning help for the subway; providing job training to people who need it, and leading directly to full-time employment for many of the people who participate in the program," MTA spokesman Jeremy Soffin said.

The MTA eliminated 173 cleaner positions last year in a series of budget cuts that slashed a total of about 3,500 jobs.

Read more: Cash-poor MTA may put recipients of unemployment benefits to work again cleaning subways

indeed.......but before you know it, the k00k left will be screaming, "Human rights violation!!"!!!

I have mixed feelings about this. MTA laid off a bunch of people and now they are getting what amounts to indentured servants to replace people that were laid off...for free.

I have mixed feelings about this. MTA laid off a bunch of people and now they are getting what amounts to indentured servants to replace people that were laid off...for free.

How are these people indentured servants? They do not have to take the benefits given, and therefore do not have to do the work if they don't want to.

The people being used are actually trained and supervised by union cleaners, under a union agreement.

How are these people indentured servants? They do not have to take the benefits given, and therefore do not have to do the work if they don't want to.

The people being used are actually trained and supervised by union cleaners, under a union agreement.
I know they don't have to, that's why I said indentured servants and not slaves.

I know they don't have to, that's why I said indentured servants and not slaves.

Indentured servitude (unless as a result of due process, i.e. prisoner) is unconstitutional. This program has been used before, sucessfully, and without constitutional challenge.

Other agencies were still using welfare recipients, notably the DOT, the MTA just stopped for a while.

If a job is worth doing its must ALSO be worth MORE than welfare provides people.

And if it isn't worth more than that then why do it?

Seems like Clinton's welfare to work programs that fell by the wayside when Rs took over.

Yes, Democrats have always firmly believed people should work for their government checks and those evil Republicans block it saying they need to sit at home in front of their TV's. Liberalism, the mind of a child except with none of the good connotations that one would hope go with that.

Just coming out of one Government pocket than another.

Surely this will trample on the rights of the un inspired, surely this will somehow invade someone's delecate privacy,, and if that don't work just say "it's extreme":tongue:

Yes, liberalism is the right to other people's money, but not the right to your own...

It does. Maybe they can get back their work ethic.

Yeah..because cleaning subways will enhance their skill sets and get them ready to get a good paying job.

:lol:

Forum List

Back