Welcome to the Gardening and Landscaping Forum!!

cereal_killer

Platinum Member
Apr 9, 2012
Austin
Have tips on gardening and landscaping? Need suggestions on seeds? Want to build a nice koi pond in your backyard? Share all your secrets and get answers in the Gardening and Landscaping Forum!

Enjoy!!

Hi members,
I need to know, what are the main points that i will follow to start making my first garden.
need some basic points.

Have your soil tested first. It will determine what type of soil you have and this in turn will help you know which plants will do great in your kind of soil.

I'm also interested in any gardening and landscaping project. Actually I start redecorating my backyard and I decided to install a small garden.

I'm also interested in any gardening and landscaping project. Actually I start redecorating my backyard and I decided to install a small garden.

How big of an area are you using?
If it's a small area I would suggest raised beds.
There are a few prefabed raised beds on the market or you can make your on. But I would suggest NOT using rail road ties for any food gardening. beds

How big of an area are you using?
If it's a small area I would suggest raised beds.
There are a few prefabed raised beds on the market or you can make your on. But I would suggest NOT using rail road ties for any food gardening. beds

Bigreb, that is advertising!
The only people who "install" gardens are selling something! The rest of us "build" a garden. Most of us also don't "redecorate" a backyard, we move things around, change it, add more veggie or flower beds.

Not only don't use rail road ties...don't use tires either! Treated woods are ok now as they no longer have arsenic in them.

3 Strategies for a Smart Landscape Design :
Accent your house : Unless your house is an architectural masterpiece, it could benefit from some thoughtful plantings to soften the edges and help it blend with the surroundings. But take care not to end up at the other extreme, a house that is hidden by overgrown shrubbery. Even the smallest starter home usually has some interesting architectural feature. The best design will highlight that feature.

Take nothing for granted: When you live in a place for a while, you tend to accept existing features as obstacles, sometimes without completely noticing them. Rather than designing around the overgrown shrubbery, established trees, or worn-out deck, consider removing them. You may discover new possibilities, such as a sunny spot for a vegetable garden or rose bed.

Right plant, right spot : On the outside chance that someone reading this has not heard the old adage "right plant, right spot," I urge you to adopt it as your personal gardening mantra. The phrase should be repeated constantly during each visit to the nursery. In addition to knowing the full-grown size, Liz Dean cautions us to consider growth rate as well. Since they get large more quickly, fast-growing plants may seem like a bargain. In the end, however, time and money spent on pruning and other maintenance may outweigh the initial savings.

Last edited:
Well i am doing Gardening business and i grew every kind of flowers and seeds in my garden i have a big plant for this which also includes as my asset.
I like gardening and i am doing this business from many years and getting profit from this gardening i deals in all kind of gardening accessories for homes offices and outdoors gardening planting

CK, you're right on time. That is my next project next to the patio I did last year. I'm building a koi pond/ but I'm also doing a water fall above it as it is on a sharp incline. I had my husband dig up the boulders from off our property so it is all our rock. I am going to install solar type flood lights and some underwater lights for the pond. Still working it out. I dug up cobble stone from another area and I'm spray painting it the same three colors as the stone patio so I can extend that look to wrap around the pond. ( they are like paver stones and I can set my own design using them ) I'll take photos throughout process and post here. I've got most of the material already. Waiting for warm weather to begin.

I find that my plants are persnickety. Places they are supposed to love, they don't. So they begin to die if I don't find teh right spot. Therefore...I put them in pots. That way, I can move them around after a week or so of seeing if they are happy where I put them. If not, no digging them back up. I just move the pot until I see them thriving. THEN I put them in the ground.
I also like geraniums because snails don't like them much, and one plant can yield many. Needless to say, I have lots of geraniums. Same with nastutiams (spelling?). Ice plant is abundant and I have it everywhere...as well as Queen's Tears. One pot will yield many other pots and the flowers are beautiful.

Queen's tears:

3d83fe.jpg

QueensTears48095406.jpg

I used to grow cauliflower, tomatoes, corn, scallions, summer squash, radishes...but they don't grow any more in the same spot I used to grow them so I let the lawn take over and now I just have strawberries in an old wheel barrel and scallions in a big round pot.

I garden in pots on my patio, Gracie. I have found it to be alot easier than in ground gardening. The ground is very hard. Georgia clay. The garden is plowed with a tractor so that isn't a problem but around the yard it is.

I like pot plantings, myself. I'm too old to get down on all fours and pull weeds. And I don't use poisons, so them being in pots makes it easier to pick off bugs and whatnot. I think my fav thing, edible wise, is the strawberries..warm from the sun, ready to pluck, then popped in my mouth. :)

Well i am doing Gardening business and i grew every kind of flowers and seeds in my garden i have a big plant for this which also includes as my asset.
I like gardening and i am doing this business from many years and getting profit from this gardening i deals in all kind of gardening accessories for homes offices and outdoors gardening planting

Please Share more information about Landscaping

Forum List

Back