welcome to the 1990s

dmp

May 12, 2004
Enterprise, Alabama
Broke down. Yes...Broke down today...

My spouse is starting to work as a loan officer, thus we decided it's best she get a 'cellular phone'. I'm unsure if you, the reader, are familiar with this gagetry, but it seems one can carry a phone with them, cordless and everything, and people can call one at any time - provided the phone is within a 'communication cell' - an area in which the phone can reach a 'cellular phone tower/antenna'.

I think it's witchcraft myself...but we've decided to bite the bullet on this one and go for it.

Soon, we'll receive two phones via '2nd day air' from some company called 'UPS'.

weird.

:)

I think we're the last people we know who, up until we get the phones, did not have such devices.

dmp said:

My spouse is starting to work as a loan officer, thus we decided it's best she get a 'cellular phone'. I'm unsure if you, the reader, are familiar with this gagetry, but it seems one can carry a phone with them, cordless and everything, and people can call one at any time - provided the phone is within a 'communication cell' - an area in which the phone can reach a 'cellular phone tower/antenna'.

I think it's witchcraft myself...but we've decided to bite the bullet on this one and go for it.

Soon, we'll receive two phones via '2nd day air' from some company called 'UPS'.

weird.

I think we're the last people we know who, up until we get the phones, did not have such devices.

You remember that little square thing you could wear...little bigger size than those "old fashioned" lighters.

If I remember, someone could call a phone number, wait for a tone or noise or something, then actually punch in their own phone number in the phone they are on. Then, a few seconds later, that phone number would show up on that little cigarette lighter sized thing you had. Then you could go to a phone and call the person back.

Simply amazing.

I read somewhere that they have become old hat though - something about drug dealers and all.

dmp said:

weird.

About time! Welcome to technology. :D:D :thewave:

GotZoom said:
You remember that little square thing you could wear...little bigger size than those "old fashioned" lighters.

If I remember, someone could call a phone number, wait for a tone or noise or something, then actually punch in their own phone number in the phone they are on. Then, a few seconds later, that phone number would show up on that little cigarette lighter sized thing you had. Then you could go to a phone and call the person back.

Simply amazing.

I read somewhere that they have become old hat though - something about drug dealers and all.
Oh, the old BALL AN CHAIN I used to have attached to my hip 24/7!! :cheers2:

You should get Cingular's family plan. You get one phone and every other phone you add to the plan is only $9 per month extra. Plus free nights/weekends and free mobile to mobile calling--meaning anyone with Cingular service can talk to you free.

Hagbard Celine said:
You should get Cingular's family plan. You get one phone and every other phone you add to the plan is only $9 per month extra. Plus free nights/weekends and free mobile to mobile calling--meaning anyone with Cingular service can talk to you free.

Will wonders never cease... He actually spits out something I agree with...

Hagbard Celine said:
We have that with Verizon but it's $20 per month per extra phone.
Cingular doesn't do that walky-talky stuff do they I hate that.
Hows the coverage?

Hagbard Celine said:

or you can go with Nextel and direct connect the person you want to talk to (they have to have a nextel as well) to ask/tell them whatever. direct connect is unlimited with the smallest plan which is about $50/m for 300 phone minutes. Its great when I have to quick ask Tim what he wants for dinner or if he needs something from the store, etc. I don't have to dial, wait for a ring, wait for him to pick up, all that could take 2-5 minutes... I just beep him, he answers, I ask what I need to ask, and it's done. No cell minutes used. Tim is really the only person I call most often anyhow, aside from my best friend Michelle, who also has nextel. Our whole conversations are 99% thru the direct connect.

dmp said:

weird.

my 70 year old dad has one...lol

Hagbard Celine said:
Now wonder you're so out of the loop! Hahaha. Just joshing you pal.

It's all good! :D

But seriously, if someone wants to get a hold of me, I'm either 1) at home, 2) at work, 3) at church, or 4) going back and forth between those three places. If it's #4, you're just gonna have to wait until I reach one of my three destinations.

gop_jeff said:
It's all good! :D

But seriously, if someone wants to get a hold of me, I'm either 1) at home, 2) at work, 3) at church, or 4) going back and forth between those three places. If it's #4, you're just gonna have to wait until I reach one of my three destinations.

i had a cell phone all up until last fall. then i felt i didn't need one anymore. i was ike you. home, work, or with Tim, who has a cell for work be cause he is on call 24-7.

then i decided that i needed one when I got pregnant, because then i would be able to call Tim anytime if there was ever a problem. it is also my primary contact number for my business, so i don't have to use my home phone.

It helped last week when i got rear-ended. I beeped him right away with the 2-way and told him to come immediately, that i had been hit. I then was able to call 911, and they were there within 5 minutes. The girl that hit me, did not have a cell. I am so glad I had my phone. I was able to even 2-way Tim in the ambulance on the way to the hospital, to let him know where they were taking me, so he could just meet us there. I live 20 miles from where i was hit, and Tim was still at home when i called him.

Forum List

Back