Weirdest Civil war Evah

Sep 12, 2008
Civil war broke out in the Ivory Coast back in 2002. (Never heard about it before, but lots of things happen that way)

Instead of breaking down into absolute chaos, the country sort of made a cease fire while they dithered and talked. Instead of the chaos that is neighboring Liberia, things have become a new kind of really odd normal.

The Northern section has become sort of an Ayn Randian paradise of very low taxes and extremely limited government. Schools are on a volunteer basis, but they do very well.
Here is a BBC report on Africa delivering what Libertarians want. It works, sort of. Far better than most of Africa.

A new kind of paradise.

That's sort of like this country...we have some tax free zones.

For example: New Hampshire.

From your link
"Here no-one can say to you: 'No, that's pirated' or 'You can't sell that here,'" he tells me when I ask if he ever has any trouble from the authorities.

So no intellectual property rights exist? You can steal another man's work and they have no recourse?

Bill Gates would love that place!

start_quote_rb.gif
Things are a lot cheaper than in the south - we see that people from the south often come here to stock up for less
end_quote_rb.gif

Businessman Hussein Doumbia

Probably has something to do with the first quote

The New Forces do collect taxes in some areas - like from cocoa and cotton producers

Who decides what goods should be taxed? I suspect the answer is 'whoever has the most money'.

Forum List

Back