weird signs to start Fri. the 13th

DKSuddeth

Oct 20, 2003
North Texas
There I was, last nite about 9:30, and my on call work pager goes off. Some big emergency that an in production application is having and the development team needs help.

Some guy named Stephen King answers the phone, tells me we need to implement an emergency rule for production on Friday the 13th with no testing in a non-production environment and a hurricane is hitting the data center where the rules need to be implemented.

Anyone wanna take a stab at how my weekend might be?

-=d=- said:
I'm not sure what most of that means...but I hope you get overtime :)

:D

I'm a salaried employee, no OT for me.

Maybe I should have added a touch of horror music to the post and then the post might have been funnier.

DKSuddeth said:
Maybe I should have added a touch of horror music to the post and then the post might have been funnier.
LMAO!!! That did it, LOL!!
Sorry about your unlucky Friday the 13th, and I hope this wave doesn't continue through your weekend! Good Luck, DK!!

DKSuddeth said:
I'm a salaried employee, no OT for me.

No OT, but does your boss let you have free time when things are slow?

My secretary (and I could NOT survive without her) doesn't get OT (she rarely works it anyway as she gets more done between 8 and 5 than most), but we let her take off from work all the time for stuff with her kids, etc. It all balances out in the end (well, here anyway. I know SOME bosses are real jerks with their salaried employees).

freeandfun1 said:
No OT, but does your boss let you have free time when things are slow?

My secretary (and I could NOT survive without her) doesn't get OT (she rarely works it anyway as she gets more done between 8 and 5 than most), but we let her take off from work all the time for stuff with her kids, etc. It all balances out in the end (well, here anyway. I know SOME bosses are real jerks with their salaried employees).

My boss is great with stuff like that. If I need to leave early or come in late because of a family issue or something, she has no problem at all. My partner and I come in earlier or stay later than required most days anyway, if there are things to complete before the day is done. Not having OT doesn't put me out much at all because of the boss's flexibility.

-=d=- said:
yes.

36 hrs one week, (9 hrs, tues-friday) 44 hrs the following (9hrs Mon-Thurs, 8hrs Friday).

Well hate to tell ya..but I don't think you're really salaried...

Check an see if you are considered an exempt or non-exempt employee..
That will tell the tale.. Looks to me like they just pay you
every 2 weeks for 40 hrs. x2. Not the same as a real salaried employee..
Check it out..

Mr. P said:
Well hate to tell ya..but I don't think you're really salaried...

Check an see if you are considered an exempt or non-exempt employee..
That will tell the tale.. Looks to me like they just pay you
every 2 weeks for 40 hrs. x2. Not the same as a real salaried employee..
Check it out..

True. Salaried is not the "correct" term. As you said, it is "exempt" or "non-exempt".

freeandfun1 said:
Very true. As are some employees.

Yeah, but the bossees can fire those jerks.

I know, I know, the employee can quit. (I recently did. Anyone need a bartender?) Maybe the solution is for people to stop being jerks.

Joz said:
Yeah, but the bossees can fire those jerks.

[/I]
SOOOOOOOOO untrue! I've been trying to fire someone for a year....with all the evidence and remediation procedures you have to go through it's all but impossible. Meanwhile, the other members of my department are starting to show strains from having to do his work and be demoralized in the process watching him do nothing while they work.

Forum List

Back