Weight Lifting: Amazing Lifestyle Change

Cain

Air Force DEP
Nov 14, 2010
Tennessee
So, when I was 16 years old, I looked at weight lifting cause I seen some of my older friends growing into beasts before my very eyes. A friend of mine was about 165, but his arms where the same size as some people's waists. He was a natural body builder at the high school level. He had a huge diet (he ate like a beast, but it was all healthy food) because he was bulking to 180.

Anyways, I became inspired, and have been lifting, and started lifting 6x a week about 2 months ago, and I am now at 5"5 170 with about 17% Bodyfat, and I'll have that down to 10% before I go to BMT this summer. That is a big change from 205 with like 30% bodyfat I had over a year and half ago.

I wonder does anyone else here weight lift competitively, or regularly? I have seperated mine as such:

Mon-Chest/Tri +Jogging
Tue-Back/Bi
Wed-Legs/Abs +Jogging
Thurs-Tri/Chest
Fri- Bi/Back +Jogging
Sat-Legs/Abs +General Fitness [Push-Ups, Pull-Ups, Flutter Kicks, Sit-Ups, Ab Wheel, etc]
Sun-Rest

General Fitness is to help get my scores up for the PT test mostly, but it is probably the roughest day on me, it gets insanely tiring. Especially if you consider I am going to be re-starting my boxing training which is 2 hours Mon-Thursday.

Anyways, what do you guys do?

Cain, I'm proud to hear you're doing something physically responsible, and rewarding.

I didn't seriously begin lifting until I was 21, and then really never stopped (although I have slowed, considerably. Since I started late, and had other things to distract me (family, job) I never did it professionally, however your schedule looks great.

The one thing I'd suggest is not trying to bulk up as much as increase your CV (CardioVascular) stamina.

How far are you jogging, and what are your times?

I am training for my second marathon.

and where's Abel?

Haha never heard that one before. I remember my parents honestly thought about naming my brother Abel haha.

Cain, I'm proud to hear you're doing something physically responsible, and rewarding.

I didn't seriously begin lifting until I was 21, and then really never stopped (although I have slowed, considerably. Since I started late, and had other things to distract me (family, job) I never did it professionally, however your schedule looks great.

The one thing I'd suggest is not trying to bulk up as much as increase your CV (CardioVascular) stamina.

Oh no no no, I am not bulking, god no. I have to get to 150, and stop there and build as much Cardio & Lifting Stats as I can. I am anti-bulking cause the USAF will not allow me to go over 165. They said to be below 160 would be a miracle for me to do for them.

I do 2 miles, but it's slow jogging, my main goal is to just get my body use to normal cardio, before the Air Force DEP I never ran/jogged. I am keeping it at a slow 2 miles, then I am going to increase it to maybe a mild 2 miles, etc.

and where's Abel?

Haha never heard that one before. I remember my parents honestly thought about naming my brother Abel haha.

Oh no no no, I am not bulking, god no. I have to get to 150, and stop there and build as much Cardio & Lifting Stats as I can. I am anti-bulking cause the USAF will not allow me to go over 165. They said to be below 160 would be a miracle for me to do for them.

I do 2 miles, but it's slow jogging, my main goal is to just get my body use to normal cardio, before the Air Force DEP I never ran/jogged. I am keeping it at a slow 2 miles, then I am going to increase it to maybe a mild 2 miles, etc.

Excellent: I would suggest a good track or treadmill. Avoid Injury.

and where's Abel?

Yea, I hate treadmill, but I use the park, they have a rough track, but it is really a good track. It works my ankles a lot, and that is something I need a lot. It is pretty rough in the cold weather, but I wear warm clothing and am fine.

Thanks for the advice Samson.

Yea, I hate treadmill, but I use the park, they have a rough track, but it is really a good track. It works my ankles a lot, and that is something I need a lot. It is pretty rough in the cold weather, but I wear warm clothing and am fine.

I too hated the treadmill...until I put a cable TV in front of it.

With digital readouts, you can get good pulse rates and calorie burn. This allows an accurate record of progress, however incremental: Ideally, you'd like to see progress (time shaved, and or increased pulse each time you run, even if it's only a second or two)

With the manual treadmill setting, you can adjust speed and incline: Doing this every 5 minutes or so also keeps me from getting bored.

I too hated the treadmill...until I put a cable TV in front of it.

With digital readouts, you can get good pulse rates and calorie burn. This allows an accurate record of progress, however incremental: Ideally, you'd like to see progress (time shaved, and or increased pulse each time you run, even if it's only a second or two)

With the manual treadmill setting, you can adjust speed and incline: Doing this every 5 minutes or so also keeps me from getting bored.

The ones at my new gym have tv's but I am usually too busy focusing on staying alive lol. I really just prefer the outside woods, and working hard on up-hills and idk, it just feels like I get more of a burn in it, and I feel better when I am able to stop and look back and know I did 2 miles.

I began lifting when I was also sixteen years old. I was a venture scout and was already looking to join the Canadian military so I thought it couldn't hurt.

I have learned quite a few things in the interim. You are lucky in that your body was already used to containing size, bulk and weight. Far easier than the skinny ectomorph who wants to put on ten or twenty pounds but can't accomplish it.

Less is more. By the time I reached two hundred pounds with a 34" waist I found that the bulk muscle needed to be defined.

I learned to use two thirds of the lift in eccentric lowering and one third in concentric raising. I gained far more strength from this training and I bypassed barriers that I had for years. Before push/pull I was not able to reach greater than 300 lbs for bench reps.

With push/pull (and some creatine monohydrate) I hit 375 for reps and did so in seven months. So, I gained ~75lbs on my bench (strict bench) with the push/pull and creatine. When I gained this strength, my size increased and I stopped the creatine. My size decreased, but the strength maintained and it took time to bring the size back up again. Since the creatine adds another water molecule to the muscle cells, it stretches them and now all one has to do is fill that cellular membrane with muscle to gain the size back.

You seem to be doing well, but it's hard to say without photos. I still lift, but just to stay in shape now.

Have you looked at push pull? Chest and biceps. Back and triceps, etc? I agree that if you have always had a problem with weight gain (of grease that is) then your high degree cardio is necessary to keep the bodyfat in check.

Do you follow a change up? How often? How drastic?

So, when I was 16 years old, I looked at weight lifting cause I seen some of my older friends growing into beasts before my very eyes. A friend of mine was about 165, but his arms where the same size as some people's waists. He was a natural body builder at the high school level. He had a huge diet (he ate like a beast, but it was all healthy food) because he was bulking to 180.

Anyways, I became inspired, and have been lifting, and started lifting 6x a week about 2 months ago, and I am now at 5"5 170 with about 17% Bodyfat, and I'll have that down to 10% before I go to BMT this summer. That is a big change from 205 with like 30% bodyfat I had over a year and half ago.

I wonder does anyone else here weight lift competitively, or regularly? I have seperated mine as such:

Mon-Chest/Tri +Jogging
Tue-Back/Bi
Wed-Legs/Abs +Jogging
Thurs-Tri/Chest
Fri- Bi/Back +Jogging
Sat-Legs/Abs +General Fitness [Push-Ups, Pull-Ups, Flutter Kicks, Sit-Ups, Ab Wheel, etc]
Sun-Rest

General Fitness is to help get my scores up for the PT test mostly, but it is probably the roughest day on me, it gets insanely tiring. Especially if you consider I am going to be re-starting my boxing training which is 2 hours Mon-Thursday.

Anyways, what do you guys do?

By the way, how many weightlifters does it take to screw in a light bulb?

Four.

One to screw in the light bulb, and three to stand around telling him how cut and pumped he looks while doing it.

:lol:

Mon-Chest/Tri +Jogging
Tue-Back/Bi
Wed-Legs/Abs +Jogging
Thurs-Tri/Chest
Fri- Bi/Back +Jogging
Sun-Rest

Don't neglect the cardio. And nothing prepares you for running like running.

What's you time for a mile and a half?

I began lifting when I was also sixteen years old. I was a venture scout and was already looking to join the Canadian military so I thought it couldn't hurt.

I have learned quite a few things in the interim. You are lucky in that your body was already used to containing size, bulk and weight. Far easier than the skinny ectomorph who wants to put on ten or twenty pounds but can't accomplish it.

Less is more. By the time I reached two hundred pounds with a 34" waist I found that the bulk muscle needed to be defined.

I learned to use two thirds of the lift in eccentric lowering and one third in concentric raising. I gained far more strength from this training and I bypassed barriers that I had for years. Before push/pull I was not able to reach greater than 300 lbs for bench reps.

With push/pull (and some creatine monohydrate) I hit 375 for reps and did so in seven months. So, I gained ~75lbs on my bench (strict bench) with the push/pull and creatine. When I gained this strength, my size increased and I stopped the creatine. My size decreased, but the strength maintained and it took time to bring the size back up again. Since the creatine adds another water molecule to the muscle cells, it stretches them and now all one has to do is fill that cellular membrane with muscle to gain the size back.

You seem to be doing well, but it's hard to say without photos. I still lift, but just to stay in shape now.

Have you looked at push pull? Chest and biceps. Back and triceps, etc? I agree that if you have always had a problem with weight gain (of grease that is) then your high degree cardio is necessary to keep the bodyfat in check.

Well, I do not consider fat being lucky lol.

I reached 225lbs 3 reps on Barbell Bench Press 4 days ago, that is the highest I have ever done, but considering I want to go down 15lbs, I doubt I'll do that again for quite a while. My main goal for benching is to bench 2x my body weight, which is going to be hard, but I do not care, if it was easy, I wouldn't want it. My goal for my body is 150 with 10% body fat, and able to run 3 miles without stopping.

I would not do that, just because I am so used to keeping my routine right now.

I change from barbells to dumbbells every 2nd workout, so like:

Workout Chest Triceps Monday= Barbell Bench Press (Standard), Barbell Military Press (Standing), Bench Press Machine, Tricep Bar Press, Barbell Reverse Curl, Fly Machine, Cable Flies

Workout Chest Triceps Thursday= Dumbbell Bench Press (Standard), Dumbbell Military Press (Seated), Dumbbell Flies, Dumbbell Reverse Curl, and usually 1-2 others thrown in.

I do that every time, but I mix up inclined/declined also, I hate declined, but I do it just because its different.

I need to do MORE cardio, to be quite frank. My diet sucks right now, due to the benge of Thanksgiving/Christmas, but I am changing that this weekend, replacing my sweet tea (don't hate) with my old water regime [2 gallons of water with crystal light mix] and some v8 Fusion if I can find the flavor I used to drink. I am currently on Animal Pak to help my system: AnimalPak

I could decline as much as I could incline but you need good spotters. I didn't say you were lucky to have been chubby. I meant that you can bulk up easier when the body has a memory of heavier weight. Weight memory versus muscle memory, but the body still knows. :lol:

Since you are wanting to lose weight I have found personally that anything which serves to make me sweat helps me to lose weight.

My body remembers the exercises and the body remembers the tricks it uses to make it easier.

So, when you stop or slow down sweating in the exercises, it is then time for a change up. For me that was every three months.

You're doing fine it would seem. I also found that dumbells brought the sweat on far quicker than barbells. More control necessary.

Well, I do not consider fat being lucky lol.

I reached 225lbs 3 reps on Barbell Bench Press 4 days ago, that is the highest I have ever done, but considering I want to go down 15lbs, I doubt I'll do that again for quite a while. My main goal for benching is to bench 2x my body weight, which is going to be hard, but I do not care, if it was easy, I wouldn't want it. My goal for my body is 150 with 10% body fat, and able to run 3 miles without stopping.

I would not do that, just because I am so used to keeping my routine right now.

I change from barbells to dumbbells every 2nd workout, so like:

Workout Chest Triceps Monday= Barbell Bench Press (Standard), Barbell Military Press (Standing), Bench Press Machine, Tricep Bar Press, Barbell Reverse Curl, Fly Machine, Cable Flies

Workout Chest Triceps Thursday= Dumbbell Bench Press (Standard), Dumbbell Military Press (Seated), Dumbbell Flies, Dumbbell Reverse Curl, and usually 1-2 others thrown in.

I do that every time, but I mix up inclined/declined also, I hate declined, but I do it just because its different.

I need to do MORE cardio, to be quite frank. My diet sucks right now, due to the benge of Thanksgiving/Christmas, but I am changing that this weekend, replacing my sweet tea (don't hate) with my old water regime [2 gallons of water with crystal light mix] and some v8 Fusion if I can find the flavor I used to drink. I am currently on Animal Pak to help my system: AnimalPak

Last edited:
I could decline as much as I could incline but you need good spotters. I didn't say you were lucky to have been chubby. I meant that you can bulk up easier when the body has a memory of heavier weight. Weight memory versus muscle memory, but the body still knows. :lol:

Since you are wanting to lose weight I have found personally that anything which serves to make me sweat helps me to lose weight.

My body remembers the exercises and the body remembers the tricks it uses to make it easier.

So, when you stop or slow down sweating in the exercises, it is then time for a change up. For me that was every three months.

You're doing fine it would seem. I also found that dumbells brought the sweat on far quicker than barbells. More control necessary.

Oh, well, I just do jogging, it is a great cardio and is always able to do. Except now since it's snowing a blizzard in Tennessee...

I am pretty sure I am going to get to 150, just have to work a lot harder on my diet.

Forum List

Back