Weep for Alexandria

I googled------the HYPATIA story is not from the bible------she was teacher of greek philosopy
in Alexandria CENTURIES after the inception of Christianity----------and after the council of
Nicea wrote the NT. She was lynched----so they say----by Christians ???? for something
that they seemed to find awful like sedition and witchcraft

"In 391 CE, as part of his attempt to wipe out paganism, Emperor Theodosius I officially sanctioned the destruction of the Serapeum, or Temple of Serapis at Alexandria. The destruction of the Temple was carried out under Theophilus, Bishop of Alexandria, and afterwards a Christian church was built on the site. It has been hypothesised that the daughter library of the Museum, located close to the Temple, and the Royal Library were also razed to the ground at this time. However, whilst it is plausible that manuscripts from the Serapeum library may have been destroyed during this purge, there is no evidence that the Royal Library still existed at the end the 4th century. No ancient sources mention the destruction of any library at this time, though 18th century English historian Edward Gibbon mistakenly attributes it to bishop Theophilus."

Worst cat for history is Gibbon. Smite him.

Hypatia

That said, IF you are looking for a major league player for the destruction it absolutely would have been under Theodosius the Great. He got rolled by Ambrose multiple time and he had zero control over what was going down in Alexandria. He doesn't hear about events until long after the fact due to travel times and Russia no cell phones. Also, there absolutely are early Christians involved in all kinds of mayhem and Theodosius "sanctioned" under pressure by not rebuilding or compensation in any way, shape or form.Theodosius the Great appears to be (to me) very ineffective in controlling the Empire. Much of that is due to the inability to communicate quickly and, in part, his personality. His father was murdered over soothsaying crap and rumors. The fact he was able to stay in power as long as he did was miraculous.

That is such an interesting time period.

There is no contemporary mention of the libraries destruction after the time of Caesar. None. That means it was already destroyed by the time your candidate showed up. That's the problem with militant atheists. When presented with evidence that refutes your preconceived notions you ignore it in favor of your meme.

Yep. I'm militant alright.

And.............do. not. forget. it. :spinner:

I have few pleasures in life. That just happens to be one of my favorite periods. So, I'm going to go check on what I got.

Please do. The evidence is very compelling that the library was long gone by the time of the christians. Don't get me wrong they are certainly guilty of some truly horrible things, but the destruction of the library is one crime that IMO they are innocent of.

Yet, Hypatia was still murdered by a Christian mob in 415.

"In 391 CE, as part of his attempt to wipe out paganism, Emperor Theodosius I officially sanctioned the destruction of the Serapeum, or Temple of Serapis at Alexandria. The destruction of the Temple was carried out under Theophilus, Bishop of Alexandria, and afterwards a Christian church was built on the site. It has been hypothesised that the daughter library of the Museum, located close to the Temple, and the Royal Library were also razed to the ground at this time. However, whilst it is plausible that manuscripts from the Serapeum library may have been destroyed during this purge, there is no evidence that the Royal Library still existed at the end the 4th century. No ancient sources mention the destruction of any library at this time, though 18th century English historian Edward Gibbon mistakenly attributes it to bishop Theophilus."

Hypatia

That said, IF you are looking for a major league player for the destruction it absolutely would have been under Theodosius the Great. He got rolled by Ambrose multiple time and he had zero control over what was going down in Alexandria. He doesn't hear about events until long after the fact due to travel times and Russia no cell phones. Also, there absolutely are early Christians involved in all kinds of mayhem and Theodosius "sanctioned" under pressure by not rebuilding or compensation in any way, shape or form.Theodosius the Great appears to be (to me) very ineffective in controlling the Empire. Much of that is due to the inability to communicate quickly and, in part, his personality. His father was murdered over soothsaying crap and rumors. The fact he was able to stay in power as long as he did was miraculous.

There is no contemporary mention of the libraries destruction after the time of Caesar. None. That means it was already destroyed by the time your candidate showed up. That's the problem with militant atheists. When presented with evidence that refutes your preconceived notions you ignore it in favor of your meme.

I have few pleasures in life. That just happens to be one of my favorite periods. So, I'm going to go check on what I got.

Please do. The evidence is very compelling that the library was long gone by the time of the christians. Don't get me wrong they are certainly guilty of some truly horrible things, but the destruction of the library is one crime that IMO they are innocent of.

Hypatia

I have a strong sense that the FACTS are not in on that murder. ---

Imagine if the ancient archives of Alexandria were preserved. What an insight we would have had to ancient times. It should be noted that human civilization is thought to have begun in the area known as the Mid-East but aside from useless monuments to the dead the Mid-East remains relatively the same today as it was in ancient times while Western civilization created the modern world. What happened?

Witch burning was a pagan practice; they killed a lot of witches, along with sacrificing children and sometimes thousands of people at a time. In any case, Christians had every reason to get rid of as many pagans as they could, because the pagans were busy trying to get rid of the Christians, so it's only self-defense; pagans and Jews were responsible for the many, many massacres of Christians for the previous 400 odd years before and still at it, and would be for another 1,400 years right up to the present day.

And, the Op is full of crap, anyway; it was warring political factions behind it, not 'christianity'. The Christians merely beat the Jews and pagans to the punch, instead of waiting around to be massacred themselves.

Hypatia - Wikipedia

Of the many accounts of Hypatia's death, the most complete is the one written around 415 by Socrates Scholasticus and included in the Historia Ecclesiastica (Ecclesiastical History).

According to this account, in 415 a feud began over Jewish dancing exhibitions in Alexandria, which attracted large crowds and were commonly prone to civil disorder of varying degrees. Orestes, the Roman governor of Alexandria, and Cyril, the Bishop of Alexandria, engaged in a bitter feud in which Hypatia eventually became a main point of contention. Orestes published an edict that outlined new regulations for such gatherings, and crowds gathered to read the edict shortly after it was posted in the city's theater. The edict angered Christians as well as Jews. At one such gathering, Hierax, a devout Christian follower of Cyril, read the edict and applauded the new regulations. Many people felt that Hierax was attempting to incite the crowd into sedition. Orestes reacted swiftly and violently out of what Scholasticus suspected was "jealousy [of] the growing power of the bishops…[which] encroached on the jurisdiction of the authorities". He ordered Hierax to be seized and tortured publicly in the theater.

Hearing of Hierax's severe and public punishment, Cyril threatened to retaliate against the Jews of Alexandria with "the utmost severities" if the harassment of Christians did not cease immediately. In response to Cyril's threat, the Jews of Alexandria grew even more furious, eventually resorting to violence against the Christians.

Socrates of Constantinople's account says that the Jews had plotted to flush out the Christians at night by running through the streets claiming that the Church of Alexander was on fire. Christians had then responded to what they believed was their church burning down, and "the Jews immediately fell upon and slew them," using rings to recognize one another in the dark and killing everyone else in sight. According to the accusation, the Jews of Alexandria could not hide their guilt when the morning came, and Cyril, along with many of his followers, took to the city's synagogues in search of the perpetrators of the massacre.

Cyril rounded up all the Jews in Alexandria, then ordered them to be stripped of all possessions, banished them from Alexandria, and allowed their goods to be pillaged by the remaining citizens of Alexandria. Overlooking the supposed massacre of the night before, "Orestes [...] was filled with great indignation at these transactions, and was excessively grieved that a city of such magnitude should have been suddenly bereft of so large a portion of its population." The feud between Cyril and Orestes intensified because of these things, and both men wrote to the emperor regarding the situation. Eventually, Cyril attempted to reach out to Orestes through several peace overtures, including attempted mediation. When that failed, he made an appeal to Orestes's allegiances as a Christian Roman,[28] showing the Gospels to him. Nevertheless, Orestes remained unmoved by such gestures.

Assorted deviants, gimps, and atheists just get all upset when those Xians engage in self-defense against people out to kill them at any pretext.

I googled------the HYPATIA story is not from the bible------she was teacher of greek philosopy
in Alexandria CENTURIES after the inception of Christianity----------and after the council of
Nicea wrote the NT. She was lynched----so they say----by Christians ???? for something
that they seemed to find awful like sedition and witchcraft

Rubbish. The Council of Nicea did not 'write the New Testament', and she was murdered by a political faction; she had many Christian students and admirers to boot.

Witch burning was a pagan practice; they killed a lot of witches, along with sacrificing children and sometimes thousands of people at a time. In any case, Christians had every reason to get rid of as many pagans as they could, because the pagans were busy trying to get rid of the Christians, so it's only self-defense; pagans and Jews were responsible for the many, many massacres of Christians for the previous 400 odd years before and still at it, and would be for another 1,400 years right up to the present day.

And, the Op is full of crap, anyway; it was warring political factions behind it, not 'christianity'. The Christians merely beat the Jews and pagans to the punch, instead of waiting around to be massacred themselves.

Hypatia - Wikipedia

Of the many accounts of Hypatia's death, the most complete is the one written around 415 by Socrates Scholasticus and included in the Historia Ecclesiastica (Ecclesiastical History).

According to this account, in 415 a feud began over Jewish dancing exhibitions in Alexandria, which attracted large crowds and were commonly prone to civil disorder of varying degrees. Orestes, the Roman governor of Alexandria, and Cyril, the Bishop of Alexandria, engaged in a bitter feud in which Hypatia eventually became a main point of contention. Orestes published an edict that outlined new regulations for such gatherings, and crowds gathered to read the edict shortly after it was posted in the city's theater. The edict angered Christians as well as Jews. At one such gathering, Hierax, a devout Christian follower of Cyril, read the edict and applauded the new regulations. Many people felt that Hierax was attempting to incite the crowd into sedition. Orestes reacted swiftly and violently out of what Scholasticus suspected was "jealousy [of] the growing power of the bishops…[which] encroached on the jurisdiction of the authorities". He ordered Hierax to be seized and tortured publicly in the theater.

Hearing of Hierax's severe and public punishment, Cyril threatened to retaliate against the Jews of Alexandria with "the utmost severities" if the harassment of Christians did not cease immediately. In response to Cyril's threat, the Jews of Alexandria grew even more furious, eventually resorting to violence against the Christians.

Socrates of Constantinople's account says that the Jews had plotted to flush out the Christians at night by running through the streets claiming that the Church of Alexander was on fire. Christians had then responded to what they believed was their church burning down, and "the Jews immediately fell upon and slew them," using rings to recognize one another in the dark and killing everyone else in sight. According to the accusation, the Jews of Alexandria could not hide their guilt when the morning came, and Cyril, along with many of his followers, took to the city's synagogues in search of the perpetrators of the massacre.

Cyril rounded up all the Jews in Alexandria, then ordered them to be stripped of all possessions, banished them from Alexandria, and allowed their goods to be pillaged by the remaining citizens of Alexandria. Overlooking the supposed massacre of the night before, "Orestes [...] was filled with great indignation at these transactions, and was excessively grieved that a city of such magnitude should have been suddenly bereft of so large a portion of its population." The feud between Cyril and Orestes intensified because of these things, and both men wrote to the emperor regarding the situation. Eventually, Cyril attempted to reach out to Orestes through several peace overtures, including attempted mediation. When that failed, he made an appeal to Orestes's allegiances as a Christian Roman,[28] showing the Gospels to him. Nevertheless, Orestes remained unmoved by such gestures.

Assorted deviants, gimps, and atheists just get all upset when those Xians engage in self-defense against people out to kill them at any pretext.

Who Burned the Witches?

The burning times: The Christian extermination of Witches and other heretics

Pagan Holidays: Walpurgis Night and how a British lady went from Catholic saint, to Germanic goddess, to witch and gave us a second Halloween

>>Witches made of rags and straw are burned<<

Hypatia - Wikipedia

Who Burned the Witches?

Pagan Holidays: Walpurgis Night and how a British lady went from Catholic saint, to Germanic goddess, to witch and gave us a second Halloween

I've posted those links here in this forum myself. I also posted the history of pagans doing the same thing, and burning human sacrifices to boot, all long before there was a such a thing as Christianity. Here is one link that still works; others can be found. the fact is, the witch burnings follow a largely geographical pattern, the Christian churches had little to do with it, it was merely superstitious hysterical peasant mobs, most Catholic church scholars stated that witches were merely peasant superstition and witchcraft didn't exist at all, among other facts. Most peasants, particularly in Germany, held on to their pre-Christian beliefs.

Common Misconceptions: Chronology

there are other pagan commentaries on it as well. And of course the numbers claimed to have been executed were extremely exaggerated, the same for the so-called 'Inquisition'. there were three of those, which most people don't know, and the Roman Inquisition itself killed almost no one. The Spanish and Portuguese Inquisitions killed maybe 3,000 to 5,000, and again they were highly distrustful of tthe 'conversos' who had been supporters of the Muslim regimes they had just driven out of Spain, hence their paranoia.

Last edited:
As for the constant idiotic babbling about 'the Canon', there wasn't one until the 1550's, when one was declared, only by the Catholic Church, not the Protestant churches, at the Council Of Trent. Even at that, the Catholic New Testament was largely the same as everybody else's New Testament, the orthodox one that had been in existence since the beginning; there was no 'canon' for most of Christian history, except they all agreed about the Four Gospels and their central place. Most of the disputes were over the old testament and what books belonged and which didn't, not over 'canon'.

Vulgate - Wikipedia

Council of Trent - Wikipedia

Last edited:

Hypatia - Wikipedia

Who Burned the Witches?

I've posted those links here in this forum myself. I also posted the history of pagans doing the same thing, and burning human sacrifices to boot, all long before there was a such a thing as Christianity. Here is one link that still works; others can be found. the fact is, the witch burnings follow a largely geographical pattern, the Christian churches had little to do with it, it was merely superstitious hysterical peasant mobs, most Catholic church scholars stated that witches were merely peasant superstition and witchcraft didn't exist at all, among other facts. Most peasants, particularly in Germany, held on to their pre-Christian beliefs.

there are other pagan commentaries on it as well. And of course the numbers claimed to have been executed were extremely exaggerated, the same for the so-called 'Inquisition'. there were three of those, which most people don't know, and the Roman Inquisition itself killed almost no one. The Spanish and Portuguese Inquisitions killed maybe 3,000 to 5,000, and again they were highly distrustful of tthe 'conversos' who had been supporters of the Muslim regimes they had just driven out of Spain, hence their paranoia.

Pic dear-----you are an inquisition denier. The inquisition and the principles upon which
it was based are responsible for the genocides of millions----both in Europe and in the Americas.
The current Inquisition denial sophistry being promulgated is OBSCENE (and really silly)

Hypatia - Wikipedia

Who Burned the Witches?

Pic dear-----you are an inquisition denier. The inquisition and the principles upon which
it was based are responsible for the genocides of millions----both in Europe and in the Americas.
The current Inquisition denial sophistry being promulgated is OBSCENE (and really silly)

More rubbish. Fling some more poo on the walls, then admit you don't know what you're talking about and just sniveling.

Hypatia - Wikipedia

Who Burned the Witches?

More rubbish. Fling some more poo on the walls, then admit you don't know what you're talking about and just sniveling.

when you say "people" as in the total number of "people" killed by the Spanish and Portugese
inquisition------how do you define "people"? Are you referring to "people" who had TRIALS?
like Gallileo? Or---to demonstrate your KNOWLEGE -----can you say just who underwent actual
INQUISITION TRIALS. Were all executions enacted by the "INQUISITION"

Hypatia - Wikipedia

Who Burned the Witches?

wrong again PIC-----you should learn something about the program commonly called THE INQUISITION and DEFINE YOUR TERMS You have said that the Spanish and Portuguese inquisition was responsible
for only three to five thousand "killed" What do you mean by "killed"? Executed after a trial? ----FOUND GUILTY by the INQUISITIONAL COURT-----tried like Galileo was tried? What are you calling
"people" ? Who was eligible to be TRIED by the Inquisition. Were any people executed without trial?---
something like a short form of summary judgement or no trial at all. If you are referring to ONLY THOSE
people actually TRIED BY THE INQUISITION-----represented by lawyers -----etc etc. -----you are probably right-----ONLY 3 to five thousand. I have relatives who speak Spanish-----neither they nor their
families have lived in spain for the past 500 years. They survived the inquisition in spain because
they left------those of their number who did not leave-----would not have been "tried"-----they would just
end up dead. For those who do not know-----TECHNICALLY the "INQUISITION" refers to a formal
procedure -----a trial to determined that if a person who is known to be and declares himself a good
baptized catholic-----REALLY DOES COMPLTELY ADHERE TO CATHOLIC DOCTRINE. People who
have clear heretical views-----can be found guilty and executed. The rest of the people executed in
the great bonfires of the AUTO DE FE------were simply people who were not catholics. No trial
was necessary. Homosexuals kinda fell into the "not catholic" category. It was the policies of the
INQUISITION that also made legal massive genocides in the Americas. Montezuma did not answer
to the INQUISITION-----he just got garroted as a pagan for being a pagan.

415 AD, a woman in Alexandria was pulled from her carriage, had her clothes pulled off her, and then skinned alive. Her body was dismembered, and parts cast into the desert. Her crime? She was a witch, and invented or improved on instruments of divination. That woman was Hypaptia, and the instrument of divination was an astrolabe. The mob were early Christians.

They then sacked and destroyed the greatest single accumulation of knowledge in the world at that time, the Library of Alexandria. They did this in the name of God. Very few of them could read, and regarded those that could, and that accumulated knowledge with distrust and fear. A Bishop that understood their psyche used that to destroy those who he felt threatened his power. A Bishop with no morals or ethics, only a thirst for power and willing to do whatever it took to get power. Even if it destroyed the wealth of that great city.

Today in this nation, we are seeing a very similar situation, a man that has risen to power, and has contempt of knowledge, and those that work to acquire that knowledge. And he has a cadre of followers that are proud of their ignorance, and despise those that work harder and smarter. They are willing to use violence and to pervert the law to destroy those that are wise.

Will our descendants one day weep for the United States?
Old Crock lying again...new day but same old Old Crock.

415 AD, a woman in Alexandria was pulled from her carriage, had her clothes pulled off her, and then skinned alive. Her body was dismembered, and parts cast into the desert. Her crime? She was a witch, and invented or improved on instruments of divination. That woman was Hypaptia, and the instrument of divination was an astrolabe. The mob were early Christians.

They then sacked and destroyed the greatest single accumulation of knowledge in the world at that time, the Library of Alexandria. They did this in the name of God. Very few of them could read, and regarded those that could, and that accumulated knowledge with distrust and fear. A Bishop that understood their psyche used that to destroy those who he felt threatened his power. A Bishop with no morals or ethics, only a thirst for power and willing to do whatever it took to get power. Even if it destroyed the wealth of that great city.

Today in this nation, we are seeing a very similar situation, a man that has risen to power, and has contempt of knowledge, and those that work to acquire that knowledge. And he has a cadre of followers that are proud of their ignorance, and despise those that work harder and smarter. They are willing to use violence and to pervert the law to destroy those that are wise.

Will our descendants one day weep for the United States?
Old Crock lying again...new day but same old Old Crock.

I do not see the analogy------I am no scholar of history----but it seems to me
that there were fires in the various buildings of the Libraries of Alexandria-----
over something like more than 1000 years ----repeatedly-------maybe someone
threw a lighted cigarette into a waste paper basket

Pic----you got anymore figures on just how many people were actually affected
by the policies of the Vatican directed Inquisition program. How many actual
trials and how many <very> summary judgements. ???? Did pious
saint Isabella demand a trial for Montezuma?

Forum List

Back