Weekly smoker thread

DrDoomNGloom

Gold Member
Mar 14, 2014
Your Imigination
Been a good day, even with almost 100 degree temps.
I fired up the smoker earlier to today and just finished the Boston Butt.
If I could just figure out some way to post the smell and the taste now.

10lb Boston Butt and 4 lbs. of sausage, filled up a gallon zip lock with just cased meat.

WP_20150808_20_52_29_Pro[1].jpg

WP_20150808_20_53_40_Pro[1].jpg

Been a good day, even with almost 100 degree temps.
I fired up the smoker earlier to today and just finished the Boston Butt.
If I could just figure out some way to post the smell and the taste now.

10lb Boston Butt and 4 lbs. of sausage, filled up a gallon zip lock with just cased meat.

View attachment 46849
View attachment 46850
Looking good Doom. How many hours on what temp? Marinade or dry rub only..maybe both?

Home made bad butt rub
Kosher coarse salt
Cajun Spice blend
Smoked paprika
Cracked black pepper
Garlic Powder
Onion Powder

Dual fuel smoker
Propane(hardly ever used)
Charcoal

Everything went on about 11:30 this am.

The sausage is :

1lb Brats
1lb Italian Sweet
1lb Boudan
1lb Chili Cheese

All the links are from a local market that fresh grinds cased meats weekly.

The internal temp is kept around 200 degrees Farenheit

Water pan is kept wet.

The links came off after about 6hrs., 3 hrs. / side and had rendered all the fat out to a liquid visible through the caseing.

That butt came off at 8:30 pm after I got back from jumping my neighbors broke down truck off.

I am a brine fanatic and will start to post some pictures of baby back ribs / chicken and other meats as they get brined and smoked.

I have another load of jerk I need to run off in the next few days, I will post some more pics.

I will get you some before and in process pics to fully document / explain my techniques and forays into cooking.

So the Boston Butt was going for 9 hours on 200 F. Sounds good. Rub sounds good too. I probably wouldn't use smoked paprika since it is cooking on the smoker. What chips? Apple, cherry, pecan, oak? I have a Georgia smoker on wheels, w/running lights everything. Separate fire box. I hardly use it anymore since the kids are gone, only me and my wife. Although I make sausages and boudins> I have never smoked boudin before. I bet it is good. I just "built" a smoke box with a cold smoke generator. Almost done with it. I will smoke cheeses, gravlax and sausages for drying them in a designated fridge.

Classic Hickory smoke chips, this run had small wood chunks of red oak for fuel / smoke.

I will use just enough Hickory to give it a hint and then use some type of oak, red or white to add a different flavor in.

My last smoker was a New Braunsfeld horizontal smoker with an offset fire box.

I spent 10 yrs with a volunteer fire department and once they got a taste of my whole hams smoked for 24 hrs., they kept buying hams and sending them home with me to cook.

The grill had a 70 yr warranty, but Sunbeam bought them out and no longer honors those warranties. I have burnt it slap up, the 1/4 " plate steel box with stainless steel floor insert I managed to burn slap up.

Got to where I couldn't control the heat because of the inability to shut off it's draft.

I use the smokey paprika because it comes from Budapest and seems to have a little more heat than the regular paprika.

Home made bad butt rub
Kosher coarse salt
Cajun Spice blend
Smoked paprika
Cracked black pepper
Garlic Powder
Onion Powder

Dual fuel smoker
Charcoal

The sausage is :

1lb Brats
1lb Italian Sweet
1lb Boudan
1lb Chili Cheese

Water pan is kept wet.

The links came off after about 6hrs., 3 hrs. / side and had rendered all the fat out to a liquid visible through the caseing.

That butt came off at 8:30 pm after I got back from jumping my neighbors broke down truck off.

I am a brine fanatic and will start to post some pictures of baby back ribs / chicken and other meats as they get brined and smoked.

I have another load of jerk I need to run off in the next few days, I will post some more pics.

I will get you some before and in process pics to fully document / explain my techniques and forays into cooking.

Brining really helps out poultry,but i've never really noticed that big a difference with beef or pork.
As far as keeping the meat moist you're better off with a couple of these little gems.
You'll never miss the temp mark again and your meat never dries out.

Home made bad butt rub
Kosher coarse salt
Cajun Spice blend
Smoked paprika
Cracked black pepper
Garlic Powder
Onion Powder

Dual fuel smoker
Charcoal

The sausage is :

1lb Brats
1lb Italian Sweet
1lb Boudan
1lb Chili Cheese

Water pan is kept wet.

Brining really helps out poultry,but i've never really noticed that big a difference with beef or pork.
As far as keeping the meat moist you're better off with a couple of these little gems.
You'll never miss the temp mark again.

Whoops..
Here ya go.
upload_2015-8-10_15-29-26.png

Home made bad butt rub
Kosher coarse salt
Cajun Spice blend
Smoked paprika
Cracked black pepper
Garlic Powder
Onion Powder

Dual fuel smoker
Charcoal

The sausage is :

1lb Brats
1lb Italian Sweet
1lb Boudan
1lb Chili Cheese

Water pan is kept wet.

Whoops..
Here ya go.
View attachment 46972
You know they make IR temperature sensors..All you do is point and click da trigger....I wish we would had had them when I worked in industrial electronics maintenance...

Home made bad butt rub
Kosher coarse salt
Cajun Spice blend
Smoked paprika
Cracked black pepper
Garlic Powder
Onion Powder

Dual fuel smoker
Charcoal

The sausage is :

1lb Brats
1lb Italian Sweet
1lb Boudan
1lb Chili Cheese

Water pan is kept wet.

Whoops..
Here ya go.
View attachment 46972
You know they make IR temperature sensors..All you do is point and click da trigger....I wish we would had had them when I worked in industrial electronics maintenance...
I haven't seen the old glass ones with mercury for a long time, they used to shove that up in the ass to get exact readings..

Home made bad butt rub
Kosher coarse salt
Cajun Spice blend
Smoked paprika
Cracked black pepper
Garlic Powder
Onion Powder

Dual fuel smoker
Charcoal

The sausage is :

1lb Brats
1lb Italian Sweet
1lb Boudan
1lb Chili Cheese

Water pan is kept wet.

Whoops..
Here ya go.
View attachment 46972

You mean like this one?
upload_2015-8-10_18-0-58.png

They work for checking your pan for sear temps and you can get a rough check on oil but they really dont do much for you other than that.

The gauges you saw? Three were meat probes and the white woven one is pit temp.

Home made bad butt rub
Kosher coarse salt
Cajun Spice blend
Smoked paprika
Cracked black pepper
Garlic Powder
Onion Powder

Dual fuel smoker
Charcoal

The sausage is :

1lb Brats
1lb Italian Sweet
1lb Boudan
1lb Chili Cheese

Water pan is kept wet.

Whoops..
Here ya go.
View attachment 46972

You mean like this one?
View attachment 46992

They work for checking your pan for sear temps and you can get a rough check on oil but they really dont do much for you other than that.

The gauges you saw? Three were meat probes and the white woven one is pit temp.
Like this..
705513247_421.jpg

Forum List

Back