Weekend Snow Storm May Cancel Global Warming Events

red states rule

May 30, 2006
This is to funny

This weekend a huge snowstorm is moving thru the middle of the country and will slam into the East this weekend

Many global warming events are set for this weekend and may be CANCELED due to the snow

You can't make this stuff up!!!!!!!!!

Kansans Hoping Record Snowstorm Won’t Cancel Global Warming Rally
Posted by Noel Sheppard on April 14, 2007 - 11:39.
Don’t remove combustibles, potables, and sharp objects from safe stowage just yet, sports fans, for the news this morning continues to provide chuckles that could prove dangerous to computer equipment and other consumer electronics.

And I'm loving it!

There is supposed to be a global warming rally in Salina, Kansas, on Saturday. However -- as if totally on cue! -- a record snowstorm for this late in the season is threatening to turn this green celebration white!

You really can't make this stuff up!

As comically reported by the Salina Journal (emphasis added throughout):

Depending on weather during the day, some outdoor events might be moved indoors or canceled, she said.

An outdoor rally and march urging action against global warming also will go on as planned.

Don’t go for the remote quite yet, folks, for this is about to get good...I promise:

"The show will go on," said organizer Laura Krinock. "They say the snow is going to stop by morning, and the sidewalks will be cleaned off. If it's really bad, we'll just move it to Caper's."

Besides, Krinock said, "I'd hate to cancel a rally on global warming because of snow."

I told you so. Leave that remote alone:

Lawson chortled at the idea of a rally against global warming occurring in the snow, but he was quick to point out that a "minor undulation of the weather" doesn't debunk the idea of global warming.

Salina averages about 0.3 inches of snow in April, Lawson said, so "snow's not unusual, but this much snow this late is."

Don’t go anywhere yet:

The latest in the spring Salina has had measurable snow was in 1953, when the city got 1.2 inches on April 11.

That record will be broken today, Lawson said.

"You're always going to have minor fluctuations like this," Lawson said, explaining that global warming is about long-term trends, not an unusual cold snap. "This doesn't mean anything in the long term ... this doesn't mean we won't have a warm spring."

I’m verklempt. Talk amongst yourselves!

http://newsbusters.org/node/12040

The last time it snowed in DC caused this.....................

HOUSE HEARING ON 'WARMING OF THE PLANET' CANCELED AFTER SNOW/ICE STORM
HEARING NOTICE
Tue Feb 13 2007 19:31:25 ET

The Subcommittee on Energy and Air Quality hearing scheduled for Wednesday, February 14, 2007, at 10:00 a.m. in room 2123 Rayburn House Office Building has been postponed due to inclement weather. The hearing is entitled “Climate Change: Are Greenhouse Gas Emissions from Human Activities Contributing to a Warming of the Planet?”

The hearing will be rescheduled to a date and time to be announced later.

DC WEATHER REPORT:

Wednesday: Freezing rain in the morning...then a chance of snow in the afternoon. Ice accumulation of less than one quarter of an inch. Highs in the mid 30s. Northwest winds around 20 mph. Chance of precipitation 80 percent.

Wednesday Night: Partly cloudy. Lows around 18. Northwest winds around 20 mph.

The Dems must have loved this news article!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am rather unhappy that the massive downpour we are having today has caused me to move my Mom's birthday party indoors.

I had a nice BBQ planned.

:(

I am rather unhappy that the massive downpour we are having today has caused me to move my Mom's birthday party indoors.

If you were a lib you could blame Bush's enviromental policies

Perhaps it will be a Spring shower and the sun will come out so you can still have the BBQ

Happy Birthday to your Mom BTW

Thanks! The forecast is for rain throughout today and clearing tomorrow - so I am just going to accept it and move the event inside. We'll still have fun.

Thanks! The forecast is for rain throughout today and clearing tomorrow - so I am just going to accept it and move the event inside. We'll still have fun.

Damn Bush!!!

He wanted to ruin your Mom's birthday and look like he did!!!!

He's a Baaaad Man!

Or is it: Bush is Stupid and Rove is Evul?

He's a Baaaad Man!

Or is it: Bush is Stupid and Rove is Evul?

Not to get of topic, oh what the hell, this is MY thread...............

George Bush Broke the Fan Belt on My Mother's '95 Jeep Cherokee
At 10 o'clock this morning, received a desperate call from my dear mother.

"Damn that Bush!" she cried. "Damn him to HELL!"

"Take it easy, Ma. What's the problem?"

"My car broke down!" she told me. "I have an appointment at the unemployment office to extend my benefits another two years, and I have no way to get there! DAMN THAT BUSH! He sent my job overseas, and now he's trying to take my unemployment insurance away! What am I going to do?"

Ma has been out of work since Boeing laid her off in 2002, thanks to Bush and his tax cuts for the rich. The union hasn't called her back, and no one is hiring 65 year old Airplane Restroom Toilet Paper Dispenser Installers anymore. So she's had to subsist on her pension, social security, her 401k, alimony checks, welfare, and unemployment insurance benefits for the past two years.

"Don't worry, Ma. Tell me where you are and I'll come help."

"At the White Horse Tavern in Marysville. That's as far as I made it before the damn thing quit!"

"Mom, that's totally the opposite direction of the unemployment office."

"Oh that Bush has got me so riled up, I've lost all sense of direction!" Ma cried.

"No biggie, Ma, I'll be there as soon as I can."

"Thank you, dear. I'll go inside and have a beer while I wait."

I arrived at the White Horse a couple hours later. Sure enough, Ma was inside nursing a pounder at the bar when I walked in.

"Oh Larry, thank God you're here!" she greeted me. "I don't know what I'm going to do...I'm out of work, my unemployment benefits have expired, and now my car won't run! I'm going to wind up eating dog food right out of the can, thanks to Bush and his tax cuts for the rich!"

"Would you like some more pull tabs, Mrs. Chomstein?" the bartended interrupted.

"Yeah, gimme fifty bucks on number 10," my Mom told him. "Lotta good it'll do me...I haven't won shit since Bush put on a flight suit and announced 'mission accomplished' from the deck of that aircraft carrier."

"Well, Ma, I'll go out and have a look at the car. Maybe I can fix it."

"Bless your heart, dear," she said, handing me her keys. "I'll have another beer while I wait."

When I popped the hood open on the Jeep, I could immediately tell what the problem was - the fan belt was broken. But upon closer inspection, it became obviuous that it had been cleanly and intentionally cut. I took the broken belt back inside the tavern and showed it to Ma.

"Damn that Bush!" she screeched with anger, her face turning a deep red. "That BASTARD cut my fan belt! Oooh he really knows how to PISS ME OFF! I haven't been this mad since Nixon stole my panties at Woodstock! DAMN HIM! DAMN HIM! DAMN HIM!"

"Calm down, Ma!" I told her. She was lapsing into one of her Sam Kinison screaming fits, and was already drawing a small crowd of slack-jawed gawkers. "Just relax, it's an easy fix. I'll just drive up to the auto parts store and get a new fan belt."

"Oh thank you so much, sweetheart," Ma replied, relaxing a little. "I'll have another beer while I wait."

An hour later, I had the new belt installed and the Jeep was ready to go - just as Ma came stumbling out of the bar, blood gushing from her mouth.

"Holy crap, what happened to you?"

"Oh I fell down in the baffroom and broke my toof on the edge of the terlet," Ma explained.

"DAMN THAT BUSH!" we both shouted in unison.

http://blamebush.typepad.com/blamebush/2004/02/at_10_oclock_th.html

Skiers Protest Global Warming Moments Before Record Snowstorm Arrives
Posted by Noel Sheppard on April 14, 2007 - 21:11.
Are those combustibles, potables, and sharp objects still in a safe place? Good, because the Silly Saturday Snowstorm Stories continue.

As reported Saturday morning by the Associated Press (emphasis added):

WILMINGTON, N.Y. -- Skiers unfurled a protest banner in April snow on Whiteface Mountain on Saturday to kick off a nationwide day of demonstrations aimed at drawing attention to global warming.

The skiers fear long-term temperature increases promise trouble for native plants, wildlife and people in the Adirondack Mountains of northern New York state.

Why is this funny? Well, because a massive snowstorm is heading directly to this area threatening to drop more of the white stuff ever seen in this part of the country in April. As reported by AccuWeather (emphasis added):

The Northeast looks good for snow later Saturday night into Sunday and Sunday night. Snow will develop along and ahead of a storm that will be coined as a classic nor'easter. An April snowstorm is not an unheard of event, but usually to get a foot of snow it takes a very special situation to dump that amount. This storm certainly has all of the classic markers. There is cold enough air near the focus of the storm, it is deepening and moving in during the night Saturday and strengthening later Saturday night into Sunday and moisture will continue to wrap westward as the storm really bombs out at the East Coast and moves northeastward. Right now, the storm looks to be most potent over northern Pennsylvania into interior New York and northward to New England. Some places are likely to get 2 feet of snow by the time Monday morning rolls in. Even snowfall up to a foot could fall across northern Pennsylvania and southern New York. This storm, of course, will probably break several snowfall records for the date in a few places.

Of course, Laurie David, the producer of Al Gore’s schlockumentary “An Inconvenient Truth,” will be telling college students she meets on her “Stop Global Warming” tour that this snowstorm is just another example of global warming.

The truly sad part is that she believes it, as do most of the alarmists in the media and around the country. After all, for them, if you say, "Snowstorm," they say, "Global warming."

Let's call the whole thing off. </Gershwin melody
http://newsbusters.org/node/12042

This is to funny

This weekend a huge snowstorm is moving thru the middle of the country and will slam into the East this weekend

Many global warming events are set for this weekend and may be CANCELED due to the snow

You can't make this stuff up!!!!!!!!!
Did you fail Earth Science in high school? Global warming is about climate, not weather.

Did you fail Earth Science in high school? Global warming is about climate, not weather.

While people are shoveling out Al's global warming...one wonders...

Has Global Cooling Started?
The weather forecast for most of the nation is continued cold with periods of freezing rain, snow, and ice. Where's global warming when we need it?

In the past two weeks, there have been fishing boats stranded in sea ice in the Arctic, fire hydrants have popped out of the ground in unseasonably cold Anchorage, Alaska, frost and cold temperatures have devastated peach and apple orchards in the midwest and south, and parts of the upper midwest are under a late-season winter storm warning with major accumulations of snow expected in the next 24 hours.

What's going on? Isn't the world literally on fire, according to the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC)?

Well, Mother Nature has doused the flames. According to Agweb.com, last week's temperatures over much of the nation were the coldest in 15 years and this week is shaping up as more of the same. According to the Agweb weather summary, "It will very likely be the coldest in 10 years and the wettest in three." And next week looks like more of the same. As a result of all of the cold, Agweb notes: "April is currently tracking as the coldest April in 113 years."

We'd make the case that this was evidence of the onset of dangerous global cooling, except that, unlike the global warming crowd, we know that it is not possible to extrapolate accurately long-term forecasts from short-term trends. All the cold weather proves is that climate, being impacted by a wide variety of factors, exhibits a wide range of natural variability.

In fact, there hasn't been a hint of global warming anywhere on the globe for years, a fact pointed out by Australian climate scientist Bob Carter in London's Sunday Telegraph a few days ago. According to Carter, who is a research professor at Australia's James Cook University, satellite "measurements indicate an absence of significant global warming since 1979 &#8212; that is, over the very period that human carbon dioxide emissions have been increasing rapidly. The satellite data signal not only the absence of substantial human-induced warming, by recording similar temperatures in 1980 and 2006, but also provide an empirical test of the greenhouse hypothesis as understood by the public &#8212; a test that the hypothesis fails."

As I sit here typing this in my Appleton, Wisconsin office, we had some two inches of snow fall on Monday April 9, and another snowstorm is currently swirling fiercely just outside my window. There is a winter storm watch that has been extended through 10:00 a.m. tomorrow, and we could end up getting eight inches when this is all done. And we are well into spring.

So much for global warming. Now, where did I pack away that snow shovel?

http://www.jbs.org/node/3410

Libs are shoveling it - but it is not global warming

It usually fall behind the jackasses as they parade down the street

Call it what you will - it is still a bunch of BS
Please don’t ruin everyone’s day by being extra dense; especially in print. Glaciers are melting all over the world and ecosystems are shifting up mountainsides. How much proof do you need? Mosquitoes in January? Even the Bush Administration admits to the existence of global warming. Are you friendly with the Chinese government? They don’t care about global warming either. The real questions are how much of the average temperature increase is due to human activity and if we can do anything about it. Instead of being a knee-jerk ideologue, take out a loan and go buy a clue.

Please don’t ruin everyone’s day by being extra dense; especially in print. Glaciers are melting all over the world and ecosystems are shifting up mountainsides. How much proof do you need? Mosquitoes in January? Even the Bush Administration admits to the existence of global warming. Are you friendly with the Chinese government? They don’t care about global warming either. The real questions are how much of the average temperature increase is due to human activity and if we can do anything about it. Instead of being a knee-jerk ideologue, take out a loan and go buy a clue.

Many scientists refute the "glaciers are melting" hysteria. Pres Bush is wrong on this issue. The weather people can not give a accurate forcast 24 hours out yet we are to believe them when they tell us what will happen 50 years from now?

Indian Scientists Refute Global Warming Alarmists' Claims of Glacial Retreat
Posted by Noel Sheppard on February 13, 2007 - 10:52.
A common alarmism by global warming activists like Al Gore is that glaciers around the world are melting. This represents the real threat to the planet in their view, as this will cause a rise in oceans that will eventually drown us all.

Well, leading scientists in India claim that this is bunk, and that glaciers in the Himalayas aren’t retreating at all. As reported by the Hindustan Times (emphasis mine throughout, h/t Drudge):

Some experts have questioned the alarmists theory on global warming leading to shrinkage of Himalayan glaciers. VK Raina, a leading glaciologist and former ADG of GSI is one among them.

He feels that the research on Indian glaciers is negligible. Nothing but the remote sensing data forms the basis of these alarmists observations and not on the spot research.

Hmmm. Not on the spot research, huh? Why isn’t this surprising? The article continued:

Raina told the Hindustan Times that out of 9,575 glaciers in India, till date, research has been conducted only on about 50. Nearly 200 years data has shown that nothing abnormal has occurred in any of these glaciers.

It is simple. The issue of glacial retreat is being sensationalised by a few individuals, the septuagenarian Raina claimed. Throwing a gauntlet to the alarmist, he said the issue should be debated threadbare before drawing a conclusion.

Hmmm. So, there isn’t a consensus on this issue? But Al Gore and Ellen Goodman say there is one. How could they be wrong? The article continued:

Surprisingly, Raina, who has been associated with the research and data collection in over 25 glaciers in India and abroad, debunked the theory that Gangotri glacier is retreating alarmingly.

Maintaining that the glaciers are undergoing natural changes, witnessed periodically, he said recent studies in the Gangotri and Zanskar areas (Drung- Drung, Kagriz glaciers) have not shown any evidence of major retreat.

"Claims of global warming causing glacial melt in the Himalayas are based on wrong assumptions," Raina, a trained mountaineer and skiing expert said. He rued that not much is being done by the Government to create a bank of trained geologists for an in-depth study of glaciers.

Wrong assumptions? You mean these people that are causing all of this hysteria don’t actually have any facts to support their conclusions? How shocking. The article continued:

In fact, it is difficult to ascertain the exact state of Himalayan glaciers as these are very dusty as compared to the ones in Alaska and the Alps. The present presumptions are based on the cosmatic study of the glacier surfaces.

Nobody knows what is happening beneath the glaciers. What ever is being flaunted about the under surface activity of the glaciers, is merely presumptions, he claimed.

Contrary to the consensus nonsense being espoused by alarmists, Raina isn’t alone in his opinions:

His views were echoed by Dr RK Ganjoo, Director, Regional Centre for Field Operations and Research on Himalayan Glaciology, who is supervising study of glaciers in Ladakh region including one in the Siachen area. He also maintained that nothing abnormal has been found in any of the Himalyan glaciers studied so far by him.

Still, he wondered on the Himalayan glaciers being compared with those in Alaska or Europe to lend credence to the melt theory. Indian glaciers are at 3,500-4,000 meter above the sea level whereas those in the Alps are at much lower levels. Certainly, the conditions under which the glaciers in Alaska are retreating, are not prevailing in the Indian sub-continent, he explained.

Another leading geologist MN Koul of Jammu University, who is actively engaged in studying glacier dynamics in J&K and Himachal holds similar views. Referring to his research on Kol glacier ( Paddar, J&K) and Naradu (HP), he said both the glaciers have not changed much in the past two decades.

More and more it becomes quite clear: anthropogenic global warming is a figment of the imagination without any science to support it.

http://newsbusters.org/node/10796

Leo DiCaprio's New Global Warming Doc 'Won't Be Drowned Out' By 'Contrary Viewpoint'
Posted by Lynn Davidson on April 15, 2007 - 23:06.

Apparently, hearing both sides of the global warming debate is too much for Hollywood heartthrob Leonardo DiCaprio. Rush & Malloy of New York’s Daily News reported that Leo doesn’t like "contrary" views in his “documentary” about global warming, “The 11th Hour.” After being part of an ABC special about “threats to the Earth,” Leo decided that dissent ist verboten! So now he’s making a real documentary—minus all of that pesky questioning (emphasis mine throughout):

Leonardo DiCaprio has heard enough bilge from oil-company apologists. At last week's Natural Resources Defense Council gala here, the three-time Oscar nominee recalled taking part in an ABC film a few years ago that focused on threats to the Earth. "Unfortunately, the message was drowned out by the inclusion of the contrary viewpoint," said DiCaprio, who narrated and co-wrote the forthcoming environmental doc "The 11th Hour." DiCaprio said this film focuses only on those who acknowledge global warming, such as Stephen Hawking, Mikhail Gorbachev and Andrew Weil. "The message won't be diluted by our having to yell over oil-company-funded 'scientists,' " he said.

This is exactly why there are “global warming deniers.” Instead of a panel of climatologists, DiCaprio presents as global warming "experts," a Communist opportunist who still resents America and an alternative-medicine hoaxster who claims people can bend spoons with their minds. At least Stephen Hawking is actually a legitimate scientist, but he’s a theoretical physicist not a climatologist.

Be suspicious when the true believers elevate modern day snake oil salesmen to the level of expert. Give people a legitimate documentary that presents more than the one side. What are they so afraid of?

http://newsbusters.org/node/12054

This thread has so many unintelligent statements I don't know where to begin.

(1) The current storms reinforce what environmentalists have been saying about global climate change.

(2) No one disputes the global climate change is happening. At least no one with a brain. The debate over climate change is over. It is happening. Rush Limbaugh has fully acknowledged the existence of the climate change. That fact is not up for debate. The debate is over whether or not the climate change is caused by humans. Any statements that global climate change is not occurring is uneducated and should be disregarded. The argument is over whether the global climate change that is occurring is man made or the result of a natural climate cycle.

This thread has so many unintelligent statements I don't know where to begin.

(1) The current storms reinforce what environmentalists have been saying about global climate change.

(2) No one disputes the global climate change is happening. At least no one with a brain. The debate over climate change is over. It is happening. Rush Limbaugh has fully acknowledged the existence of the climate change. That fact is not up for debate. The debate is over whether or not the climate change is caused by humans. Any statements that global climate change is not occurring is uneducated and should be disregarded. The argument is over whether the global climate change that is occurring is man made or the result of a natural climate cycle.

The hysteria over global warming (or is it global cooling - or is it climate change?) is being questioned - and the enviro wackos are seething

NY Mag: Global Warming Cure Depends on ‘Fat, Spoiled 21st-Century Americans’
Posted by Noel Sheppard on April 18, 2007 - 11:35.
A few weeks ago as the world awaited the release of the most recent report from the United Nations' Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, some well-known scientists were quoted as saying that the media’s sensationalistic coverage of the issue was interfering with a reasoned discussion on the topic.

Their thinking was that the more the press and Hollywoodans suggest that the problem is so dire that the world is coming to an end, the more likely the public will develop a sense of futility about the issue, and just begin to ignore it.

A fine example of exactly what these scientists were talking about was published in the most recent issue of New York magazine (h/t radio host Mike Church). In fact, Kurt Andersen’s article sounded such hyperbolic alarm that he had the gall to suggest that “fat, spoiled, 21st-century Americans” only have a 50-50 chance of possessing the “requisite gumption and discipline” to solve the problem (emphasis added throughout, apologies in advance for Andersen’s vulgarity):

The science has gotten more unambiguous and empirical. And in this Infotainment Age, Al Gore successfully distilled (and, um … dramatized) the relevant science in last year’s An Inconvenient Truth. The anecdotal folk science—New Orleans flooded, January days in the seventies—has been freakishly on-message. (Katrina was the liberal equivalent of neoconservatives’ blaming Saddam for 9/11, a connect-the-dots opportunity too good to resist, even if it wasn’t true.) Giant, super-American, ultra-Republican corporations—Wal-Mart!—have started greening themselves. There’s an acutely appealing feel-good aspect right now, as we contemplate our present geopolitical debacle—having fucked up Iraq, maybe we can manage to do better on global warming. And Americans have also come to take climate change seriously, I think, partly as a result of George Bush’s strenuous discounting of the problem. Since his administration’s main claims about Iraq have proved spectacularly false—the 9/11 connection, WMDs, Mission Accomplished, the insurgency’s “last throes”—an intuitive syllogism has naturally taken hold among Americans: If Bush asserts something, no matter how sincerely, then probably the opposite is true.

Anderson conveniently ignored that the Administration has changed its position on this issue and, therefore, as Bush is now asserting that climate change is real, maybe the opposite is true.

Regardless of the delicious irony that eluded the author, he continued with this line of “consensus” thinking, whilst crescendoing to the following insulting conclusion:

Americans have an intensely ambivalent relationship with sin and redemption. Heedlessly ruining the global climate is plainly sinful, and we are a people desperate to feel good about our shining city on a hill. But we also hated Jimmy Carter’s guilt-inducing sermons. (As I do some of the current green epiphenomena: The other day a Whole Foods clerk refused to give me Splenda with my cup of coffee—artificial sweeteners, their Website explains, lack “ideological compatibility.”) Americans have shown themselves willing to undertake epic battles against evil only when there’s somebody else to hold accountable—Nazis, communists, radical Islamists. But blaming and changing our own Homer Simpson–ish ways of life? We couldn’t even make Prohibition work.

This upsurge of alarm and pledges of commitment will grow, but it won’t last forever. As a political matter, we probably have a decade to lock into place new regimes of regulation and market incentives. Which happens to be the same do-or-die time frame that a lot of scientists believe we have to start getting gassy modern life back in balance with the Earth’s natural systems. Not to put too fine a point on it, but this looks to be the ultimate test of our national character: Do we fat, spoiled 21st-century Americans have the requisite gumption and discipline to be born again, and then do what’s necessary to try to keep the planet from going off the rails? I’d say the odds are 50-50.

And you wonder why so many scientists around the world are worried about how the media are covering this issue?

http://newsbusters.org/node/12121

For the mentally challenged here are some ideas provided courtesy of the Australian government (reactionary right wing) -

http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/change/

Australia and the globe are experiencing rapid climate change. Since the middle of the 20th century, Australian temperatures have, on average, risen by about 1°C with an increase in the frequency of heatwaves and a decrease in the numbers of frosts and cold days. Rainfall patterns have also changed - the northwest has seen an increase in rainfall over the last 50 years while much of eastern Australia and the far southwest have experienced a decline.

Climate - changes over years
Weather - is it snowing/raining/fine/sunny etc. ?

Forum List

Back