Week 16 NFL Picks

Jumping ahead to week 17 and the Steelers, I'll just say that the Browns LOSE to Baltimore, the Colts and Tennessee DON'T tie and the Bengals beat the Steelers in a demoralized game of trips, guffaws, boos and missed opportunities. In other words, the powerhouse Steelers fail to live up to their talent again and go out the way they entered---- way off balance, over-confident and very under-prepared. The team with six Pro Bowl picks doesn't even make it to the Playoffs in the most failed season yet by mike Tomlin, who coaches only well enough most of the time not to be called bad.

I think the Steelers will easily beat the Bengals, but it won't be enough, because Baltimore will beat Cleveland and Indy and Tennessee won't tie.

You're probably right, but keep in mind, the Steelers couldn't beat Cleveland. This is a team that lost to the Raiders. And they just barely beat Cinci the first time. Now Pittsburgh beat some good teams, buy now they are without their Running Back Connor, they have defense that only shows up every other week and a team that seldom plays for all 60 minutes. They have the most intercept-throwing QB of all, terrible special teams, terrible punt return and tackling, a kicker with serious accuracy problems, a head coach with often questionable judgement, and worst of all, flagrant INCONSISTENCY week to week.

The Steelers, a Super Bowl-caliber team that perennially shoots itself in its own foot. Seldom prepared, often over-confident, with six pro bowl players, who won't even make it as a Wild Card now in 8th seed. They always play down to the level of bad teams. They never come out of a Bye week looking good. It takes Ben the first quarter of the season to learn to throw the ball again. They fall behind then race to catch up and save their asses in the last minute. THAT'S AN ATTITUDE problem, and a preparation problem. IE: poor coaching (and a lot of poor drafting).

Jumping ahead to week 17 and the Steelers, I'll just say that the Browns LOSE to Baltimore, the Colts and Tennessee DON'T tie and the Bengals beat the Steelers in a demoralized game of trips, guffaws, boos and missed opportunities. In other words, the powerhouse Steelers fail to live up to their talent again and go out the way they entered---- way off balance, over-confident and very under-prepared. The team with six Pro Bowl picks doesn't even make it to the Playoffs in the most failed season yet by mike Tomlin, who coaches only well enough most of the time not to be called bad.

I think the Steelers will easily beat the Bengals, but it won't be enough, because Baltimore will beat Cleveland and Indy and Tennessee won't tie.

You're probably right, but keep in mind, the Steelers couldn't beat Cleveland. This is a team that lost to the Raiders. And they just barely beat Cinci the first time. Now Pittsburgh beat some good teams, buy now they are without their Running Back Connor, they have defense that only shows up every other week and a team that seldom plays for all 60 minutes. They have the most intercept-throwing QB of all, terrible special teams, terrible punt return and tackling, a kicker with serious accuracy problems, a head coach with often questionable judgement, and worst of all, flagrant INCONSISTENCY week to week.

The Steelers, a Super Bowl-caliber team that perennially shoots itself in its own foot. Seldom prepared, often over-confident, with six pro bowl players, who won't even make it as a Wild Card now in 8th seed. They always play down to the level of bad teams. They never come out of a Bye week looking good. It takes Ben the first quarter of the season to learn to throw the ball again. They fall behind then race to catch up and save their asses in the last minute. THAT'S AN ATTITUDE problem, and a preparation problem. IE: poor coaching (and a lot of poor drafting).

Cleveland has been much better than Cinci IMO. Losing to the Browns isn't cause for shame the way it has been in the past. The Bengals, on the other hand, have been pretty terrible this year, particularly in the second half of the season. It's still a divisional game, so you never know, but I think the Steelers will take care of business this week. It just won't matter after they couldn't quite beat the Saints last week.

The kicking problems for the Steelers might hurt them.

Big Ben has thrown a number of picks this year, but honestly, a 33-15 TD-INT ratio isn't bad. Mahomes is one of the top choices for MVP this year and he's thrown 11 picks. Turnovers are always a concern, but Ben is 20th out of 33 QBs with at least 240 pass attempts in INT %; not good, but not horrible, either. Add in the fact that he's got the most yards, the most completions and attempts, is 12th in completion %, and 14th in QB rating, and he's having a decent year.

Yes, this is an off year for the Steelers. Yes, that may be Tomlin's fault. As I've mentioned before, however, the Steelers' record under Tomlin has been the kind of record just about any team not from New England would be happy to have had. The 4 years prior to this one, the Steelers went 13-3, 11-5, 10-6, and 11-5. They will have had 12 winning seasons since 2003 when this season ends. By comparison, the 49ers, my favorite team, have had 3 winning seasons in the same time period, during Harbaugh's coaching tenure. I can only wish the 49ers had the sort of attitude, preparation, coaching, and drafting problems the Steelers have had. :p

That's why the term "any given Sunday" was coined; no team is immune to a horrible loss! Cowboys beat the Saints one day, then gets shutout by Indy a week later! Ya just never know; that's why they play the game! :19: :21: :9-21: :abgg2q.jpg:

Cleveland has been much better than Cinci IMO. Losing to the Browns isn't cause for shame the way it has been in the past. The Bengals, on the other hand, have been pretty terrible this year, particularly in the second half of the season. It's still a divisional game, so you never know, but I think the Steelers will take care of business this week. It just won't matter after they couldn't quite beat the Saints last week.

The kicking problems for the Steelers might hurt them.

Big Ben has thrown a number of picks this year, but honestly, a 33-15 TD-INT ratio isn't bad. Mahomes is one of the top choices for MVP this year and he's thrown 11 picks. Turnovers are always a concern, but Ben is 20th out of 33 QBs with at least 240 pass attempts in INT %; not good, but not horrible, either. Add in the fact that he's got the most yards, the most completions and attempts, is 12th in completion %, and 14th in QB rating, and he's having a decent year.

Yes, this is an off year for the Steelers. Yes, that may be Tomlin's fault. As I've mentioned before, however, the Steelers' record under Tomlin has been the kind of record just about any team not from New England would be happy to have had. The 4 years prior to this one, the Steelers went 13-3, 11-5, 10-6, and 11-5. They will have had 12 winning seasons since 2003 when this season ends. By comparison, the 49ers, my favorite team, have had 3 winning seasons in the same time period, during Harbaugh's coaching tenure. I can only wish the 49ers had the sort of attitude, preparation, coaching, and drafting problems the Steelers have had. :p

Of course that's all true. I've just come to expect disappointment from them. Then I'm never disappointed. The Steelers are simply ending up playing like they started out, and they are proving the run they had in the middle of the season was the fluke, they simply can't maintain it under Tomlin. It's a lack of discipline that Cowher and Noll had in spades. I doubt the Steelers will make it as a wild card. I can't help but think that the Bengals will play their A game next week just to be sure to take the Steelers out (and that game could also end with serious injuries ala Burfect), and the Browns--- --- they may be torn between beating Baltimore just to buoy their season record or to throw it just to stick a dagger in Pittsburgh. Either way, I'd be SHOCKED if the Steelers made it into the playoffs!

Look at it this way, last year they had a much better season, went into the Playoffs with a Bye week as a divisional champ to play Jacksonville at Home. They had all the breaks going their way. And got their heads handed to them. Jacksonville humiliated them. This season has just been a continuation from that point on.

That's why the term "any given Sunday" was coined; no team is immune to a horrible loss! Cowboys beat the Saints one day, then gets shutout by Indy a week later! Ya just never know; that's why they play the game! :19: :21: :9-21: :abgg2q.jpg:

Remember how the bears sucked so bad In prime time

I think we have the best coach since ditka and buddy put together..

Well, the schematics have changed for Pittsburgh a little bit. James Connor will be back to run for Pittsburgh after a sprained ankle and the Bengals have a new QB I hear for the past 6 weeks or so I'm told. For the first time in a long while, the Bengals may be the worst in the AFC North. And yet, Marvin Lewis keeps his job. And they have to come to Heinz Field. If the Steelers don't come out with a baseball bat and absolutely clobber these guys on their last RS game, they should be ashamed. Then it depends on Cleveland beating Baltimore (I think chances are pretty good). The Steelers are on a wing and a prayer. I wouldn't hang my hopes on a Indy/Tenn tie, but right now I'd give the Steelers about a 50/50 chance of making it in as a Wild Card.

But you watch. They will beat Cinci, then watch as the Ravens clobber the Browns. Oh well, these are the things that happen when you piss away clear opportunities to win against very bad teams during the season.

Hope everyone had a blessed Christmas. I had company over on Christmas Eve and missed the Monday night game, but since it was the Raiders and Broncos, not a great loss.

Saturday games
Skins at Titans --- Both teams still have faint playoff hopes. Titans at home. --- Check.

Ravens at Chargers --- Must win game for the Ravens. Colts and Titans right there in the standings if the Ravens lose. I don't think the Ravens have the juice to beat the Chargers, who are probably the best team in the league at this point. --- Nope. Ravens pull out a needed win, and coupled with the Steelers loss, are now in the driver's seat for the AFC-N division title.

Sunday Games
Bengals at Browns --- Pretty evenly matched teams. Browns at home. --- Check.

Succaneers at Cowpies --- Think Cowpies rebound this week at home. --- Check.

Vikings at Kitties --- Vikes sacked Stafford 10 times the last time they met. Expect that to continue. --- Check.

Bills at Patriots --- Pats hard to beat at home although they don't appear to be as good as in years past. --- Check. Pats win 10th consecutive AFC-E Division Title.

Pukers at Jets --- The Pukers aren't very good, but the Jets are even worse. --- Check.

Texassans at Iggles --- I'm going with the Texans here, but if the Iggles show up like they did against the Rams, it could be a long day for the Texans. --- Nope. Eagles win a close game on last minute possession. Great game.

Failcons at Pussies --- Panthers appear to have quit. They have screwed up 6 straight games. I'm going with the Failcons, not that I think they are any better. Just trusting that the Panthers fuck it up again. --- Check. Panthers completely wasted a great season by Christian McCaffrey.

Jints at Colts --- Colts have been playing very good defense lately. Not too shabby on offense either. --- Check. Colts come back to win a 1 point game.

Jagoffs at Fish --- Dolphins pretty much out of the playoff picture now, but think they beat the Jags at home. --- Nope. Guess the Fish have quit now that their playoff chances are nil. Jags win for only the second time in last 11 games.

Rams at Cards --- Rams should come back after 2 embarrassing losses to beat lowly Cards. --- Check.

Bears at Whiners --- Bears with good opportunistic defense should win this game. --- Check.

Steelers at Saints --- Must win for Steelers to stay ahead of the Ravens, although Ravens also facing a tough test. Going for the Steelers with an upset win. --- Nope. Steelers lose a close game and are now on the outside looking in wrt playoffs.

Chefs at Seachix --- Every game remaining for the Seachix is a playoff game. They are tough to beat at home, and their defense is good enough to make a few stops. I'm going with the Seachix and an upset win at home. --- Check. Great game. Seachix clinched a wild card playoff spot.

Monday Night game
Broncos at Raiders --- Going with Broncos. --- Nope. Raiders win and knock themselves out of the first draft pick.

11-5 this week.

Forum List

Back