Weeds are edible

bigrebnc1775

][][][% NC Sheepdog
Gold Supporting Member
Jun 12, 2010
Kannapolis, N.C.
I hope you will find this very informative

Crabgrass Was King

Stone Age dwellers in Switzerland cultivated crabgrass and it was important food crop in China in 2700 B.C. It's a traditional food in India and Africa. It was first introduced into the U.S. in 1849 by the United States Patent Office as forage for cattle, sheep, hogs and horses. Then the Department of Agriculture was formed and it took over. Within 10 years crabgrass farming was abandoned. But then came immigrants from eastern Europe. Poles, Czechs, Slovaks, and Hungarians relied on the grain. They called it kasha/kasza and spread it around more but soon they learned corn and wheat could be grown just as easily and was worth more money than crabgrass grain if they wanted to sell it. The beginning of crabgrass’ transition from valued food to hated weed was born.
Crabgrass: Digitaria sanguinalis

Other weeds are in this link
Eat The Weeds

Last edited by a moderator:
How to Make an Edible Weed Salad

Harvesting and growing weeds is easy. Many people do so without any effort at all. Instead of getting frustrated in the never-ending battle against weeds in your garden, take advantage of them. Many weeds are tasty and full of age-fighting antioxidants as well as essential vitamins and minerals. Some fresh weeds are delicious in a garden salad.

How to Make an Edible Weed Salad | eHow.com

Every spring we go out and collect what we call,"miners lettuce", heck, I like it..

One of the things that I remember about my dad...he loved Dandelion Greens. :)

Sauteed Dandelion Greens

Ingredients:

3 pound dandelion greens, tough lower stems discarded and leaves cut crosswise into 2-inch pieces
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
5 large garlic cloves, smashed
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon dried hot red-pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt

Directions:

Cook greens in a 10-to 12-quart pot of boiling salted water (3 tablespoons salt for 8 quarts water), uncovered, until ribs are tender, about 10 minutes. Drain in a colander, then rinse under cold water to stop cooking and drain well, gently pressing out excess water.

Heat oil in a 12-inch heavy skillet over medium heat until it shimmers, then cook garlic and red-pepper flakes, stirring, until pale golden, about 45 seconds. Increase heat to medium-high, then add greens and sea salt and sauté until coated with oil and heated through, about 4 minutes.

Forum List

Back