Weed Legalization Could Set Off A Radical Chain Of Events In Latin America

As far as Portugal is concerned, are we still talking just about the legalization of weed or something else?

I am posting from a phone so I am giving sound bites.

Basically Portugal was battling a major heroine problem. Not so much consumption but that its youth was partaking earlier and earlier in life.

The assumption is that weed smokers become drug users. Portugal revetsed the question to ask sure most heroine users started with weed. But the reverse is not true. The majority of. Weed smokers do not graduate to heroine.

Basically we have been asking the wrong question.

Thud portugal legalizef all drugs and the results are impressive.

As far as Portugal is concerned, are we still talking just about the legalization of weed or something else?

I am posting from a phone so I am giving sound bites.

Basically Portugal was battling a major heroine problem. Not so much consumption but that its youth was partaking earlier and earlier in life.

The assumption is that weed smokers become drug users. Portugal revetsed the question to ask sure most heroine users started with weed. But the reverse is not true. The majority of. Weed smokers do not graduate to heroine.

Basically we have been asking the wrong question.

Thud portugal legalizef all drugs and the results are impressive.

No problem.

I knew about Portugal and the heroin issue but I am not of the belief weed is a gateway drug anymore than alcohol and based on the mention of Portugal I am not sure I get the connection to this thread.

I understand about typing from a phone so reply when you can.

Thank you Dreamy for your patience.

The correlation is that the OP is implying that a couple of US states legaliizing maryjane is somehow a problem for incoming Mexican prez...cuz the incoming prez made a statement.
U
My position is that the war on drugs is a fucked failure franchise which should be extinguished. But aligned politicians need a platform.If these so called working for us reps cared they'd look Portugal model. But they can not because then they'd need to find a new cash funnel platform.

Marijuana is still a "controlled substance" under federal law, not sure what effect the CO law will have

Legal Pot was one of the main reasons Liberaltarins hate the republican party...They Ignorantly think Democrats will do it LOL When has democrats ever wanted freedom of any kind?

A drugged society is far more complicit than one that has their wits about them. Drug users are remarkably easy to control. Control the drug, control of the person goes right along with it.

Read Brave New World.

Yes, and 1984; Waldon and Waldon II; The Red Badge of Courage; [/ArrowsmithU]; Gideon Planish; The Octopus; The Jungle; Animal Farm; To Kill a Mockingbird; A Time to Kill; Anthem; in fact a reading of social commentary fiction puts a human perspective in this new age of ideology

The difference between 1984 and Brave New World is that in 1984 no one was permitted to read a book, in Brave New World, no one wanted to read a book. Take your soma and listen to the leader. The soothing voice intensifies the effects of the soma until you don't care anymore.

In schools where the students are drug users, they simply can't be bothered with doing anything but taking drugs. We might lower the standards so they can pass, but they don't know anything. Not only do they not know anything but they don't care either. If they have a moment when they rise above their drugs into a snip of lucidity, they take more drugs. It's no different with adults.

One of the most forgotten books of social commentary is The Time Machine that saw a civilization sharply divided between the Morlocks who did all the work, provided all the food, and saw to every need of the Eloi who were indolent creatures who could do nothing whatsoever to sustain themselves. They were totally dependent on the Morlocks who in turn made the Eloi their food source. Farm animals, for what else would you do with the otherwise useless.

1 word: Portugal

Absolutely. I have cited Portugal as an example here several times...only to fall on deaf ears.

Because Portugal is a failed country. It's hard to believe that any thinking person not under the influence would hold up Portugal as an example of how to do anything.

Madame, I strongly suggest that you know not of what you speak. Portugal as a failed country is an opinion and based on what standard, I am unclear.

Isolating the drug related topic of this thread, Portugal is an interesting study in drug decriminalization and worthy of perusal. Dealers are still held accountable under pre-existing laws. Possession and use were decriminalized.

In 2001, Portugal made the decision to concentrate on rehab and prevention rather than incarceration. Since doing so its practice has become a working model for may a nation.

Data collection methodology varies and interviewees are thought to be more forthcoming today than when first cross section interviews. However, moreover the experiment is academically considered to have exceeded previously thought outcomes.

LISBON — Health experts in Portugal said Friday that Portugal's decision 10 years ago to decriminalise drug use and treat addicts rather than punishing them is an experiment that has worked.

The number of addicts considered "problematic" -- those who repeatedly use "hard" drugs and intravenous users -- had fallen by half since the early 1990s, when the figure was estimated at around 100,000 people, Goulao said.

Drug use statistics in Portugal are generally "below the European average and much lower than its only European neighbour, Spain," the report also said.
AFP July 2011

WHAT CAN WE LEARN FROM THE PORTUGUESE
DECRIMINALIZATION OF ILLICIT DRUGS?

The issue of decriminalizing illicit drugs is hotly debated, but is rarely subject to evidence-basedanalysis. This paper examines the case of Portugal, a nation that decriminalized the use and possession of all illicit drugs on 1 July 2001. Drawing upon independent evaluations and interviewsconducted with 13 key stakeholders in 2007 and 2009, it critically analyses the criminal justice and health impacts against trends from neighbouring Spain and Italy. It concludes that contrary to predictions, the Portuguese decriminalization did not lead to major increases in drug use. Indeed, evidence indicates reductions in problematic use, drug-related harms and criminal justiceovercrowding. The article discusses these developments in the context of drug law debates and criminological discussions on late modern governance.

Additional Positives

Portuguese youth use/abuse statistics are average to below as compared to other European countries. ESPAD

HIV cases decrease from 1400 in 2000 to 400 in 2006. The Cato Institute White Paper.

Downside/Inconclusive Negatives

Homocide rates up however in relation to neighboring countries, trend is down. The Effect of Drug Decriminalization in Portugal on Homicide and Drug Mortality Rates

I choose to not address your obnoxious remarks regarding my intelligence and state of mind.

Who the fuck are you again?

I was just adding some actual research to this little pot-head party. Boy, those increased drug-related deaths and homocides sure are a model for the world... :rolleyes:

Forum List

Back