Websites blocking content if you are using Ad Blocker...

...anyone know a get around to this yet?
Many sites now placing up large red banner wanting you to allow adblock on their site. If I really want to read something I just put the page on "Read Mode" and it goes away, but don't really want to do that all the time.

These addons work about 60% of the time (depends on the website). Mostly I just go to a different site!

BehindTheOverlay
NicolaeNMV/BehindTheOverlay
JavaScript Toggle On and Off (WebExtension) – Get this Extension for Firefox (en-US)
JavaScript Toggle On and Off

There is also some sort of addon for uBlock:
reek/anti-adblock-killer
Never tried it as I don't use uBlock.

I'm not clicking any links for software I've never heard of from a 15-post n00b. :eusa_naughty:

Adblock Plus and noscript, okay. I can vouch for those and they work. Not sure what you got going on there.

I've been on the internet since 1996.

I could not possibly care less what you do or do not click on, that's "15-post n00b here" (not everywhere), and at least I provided options to OP...whether or not said options work remains to be seen.

Many sites now placing up large red banner wanting you to allow adblock on their site. If I really want to read something I just put the page on "Read Mode" and it goes away, but don't really want to do that all the time.

These addons work about 60% of the time (depends on the website). Mostly I just go to a different site!

BehindTheOverlay
JavaScript Toggle On and Off (WebExtension) – Get this Extension for Firefox (en-US)

reek/anti-adblock-killer

I'm not clicking any links for software I've never heard of from a 15-post n00b. :eusa_naughty:

Adblock Plus and noscript, okay. I can vouch for those and they work. Not sure what you got going on there.

I could not possibly care less what you do or do not click on, that's "15-post n00b here" (not everywhere), and at least I provided options to OP...whether or not said options work remains to be seen.

Adblock plus and noscript work, idk wtf those links go to. Oh, that one looks promising. The "Behind the overlay" one. Perhaps I jumped on ya too soon, sorry.

Adblock Plus | The world's # 1 free ad blocker

NoScript - JavaScript/Java/Flash blocker for a safer Firefox experience! - what is it? - InformAction

Last edited:

BehindTheOverlay

reek/anti-adblock-killer

Adblock plus and noscript work, idk wtf those links go to. Oh, that one looks promising. The "Behind the overlay" one. Perhaps I jumped on ya too soon, sorry.

NoScript - JavaScript/Java/Flash blocker for a safer Firefox experience! - what is it? - InformAction
Adblock plus is the best thing you can do to improve your internet browsing experience. If a site doesn't like it just choose incognito mode, if the site is worth it you can disable adblock as a one time thing or permanent for each website.

Last edited:

BehindTheOverlay

reek/anti-adblock-killer

Adblock plus is the best thing you can do to improve your internet browsing experience. If a site doesn't like it just choose incognito mode, if the site is worth it you can disable adblock as a one time thing or permanent for each website.
Why can't I have an Adblock Plus that the site can't detect I'm using?

BehindTheOverlay

reek/anti-adblock-killer

It's not the site, it is your browser.
When you go to an internet site, your computer and their server "exchange hands" and introduce themselves.
It goes something like this

YOU: "Hi I would like you see your website, I am using Firefox version 10.a with the following extensions a, b, c.
WEBSITE: "Approved, I am running Apache version 12x, on this page is HTML 5, the site is written in WordPress version 8." I see you are using Adblock, I am going to place a popup and disable viewing

And that is how it works. In a nutshell

When you go to an internet site, your computer and their server "exchange hands" and introduce themselves.

YOU: "Hi I would like you see your website, I am using Firefox version 10.a with the following extensions a, b, c.
WEBSITE: "Approved, I am running Apache version 12x, on this page is HTML 5, the site is written in WordPress version 8." I see you are using Adblock, I am going to place a popup and disable viewing

So the Browser betrayed me. I want an Adblock the site can't detect.

As soon as one comes out someone will counter it and the cycle starts all over again. The problem is there's too much money in advertising for this to go away any time soon, if ever. So basically you pay a subscription, deal with the ads or don't use the site.

As soon as one comes out someone will counter it and the cycle starts all over again. The problem is there's too much money in advertising for this to go away any time soon, if ever. So basically you pay a subscription, deal with the ads or don't use the site.
On the flipside if your site becomes plagued with adds be prepared to lose users. Gotta make money but I can take my views elsewhere as well. Internet is fun!

Forum List

Back