Websites blocking content if you are using Ad Blocker...

Discussion in 'Computers' started by iamwhatiseem, Oct 10, 2017.

1. monkrules

monkrules Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +451
    I think the websites and advertisers who insist on using ads that irritate users are just shooting themselves in the ass. I’ve read articles by website owners who think they can bully users into watching their horrible ads. They think they're right and the visitors using Ad Block are wrong. Period. And other websites think their visitors love their sites so much that they’ll tolerate any crappy ad they want to display. In any case, chasing away visitors doesn't sound like a winning strategy.

In the real world, advertisers work hard and long to find ways to produce ads that are attractive to potential customers. The last thing they want to do is irritate prospects with awful ads.

As another poster said, the same content can often be found at other sites. When I hit a website that whines about my using an Ad Blocker, I just head on down the road to another site. Usually I’ll have a page of search results in another tab, so similar content is just a click away.

Or, you can turn your Ad Blocker off, momentarily, as another poster said.

2. Moonglow

Moonglow Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +40,663
    it's been going on for about a year now...

3. Slyhunter

Slyhunter Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,014
    Then you get bombarded with ads that suck your computers resources up.

4. iamwhatiseem

iamwhatiseem Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,863
    Lately it is a lot more pervasive and aggresive, not just a little red banner...but blocking the whole page until you unblock.
    I believe monkrules is correct, annoying visitors into "do it or go away" is not a winning strategy.

5. Ringel05

Ringel05 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23,028
    Well if you find an easy way let me know. I'm one of those people where the best and fastest way to lose a sale to me is to direct advertise to me particularly via computer, phone or door to door.

6. Windparadox

Windparadox Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +514
  7. iamwhatiseem

iamwhatiseem Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,863
    It is beyond ridiculous.
    Anymore when I am using the internet at home I log out of Google (gmail is what we use at work, and I check email at home) And switch to Brave browser. After doing this I have definitely noticed a drop in "cross advertising"...where you look up something on one device you use, and ads for that very thing pop up on other devices you use...pisses me off to no end.
    But alas, you can blame it all on millennials ;) ... they don't read a newspaper, books, look at magazines, they avoid mail and don't watch regular TV...so advertisers are going through great leaps to reach them...wait...that sounds like me..well I read books...

• Funny Funny x 1