Web browsers: a brief history

Leprechaun Aquarius

I like Netscape, Safari, and Firefox, but I'm not a big fan of Internet Explorer or Google Chrome.

It would be interesting to study which browsers were/are popular statistically among the various American Ivy League schools. I attended Dartmouth in the 1990s where Netscape and Internet Explorer were obviously popular among students.

I'd like to see a popular browser called Leprechaun. Maybe it would allow you to open your browser page and go to a random website automatically, and not necessarily one that is news-oriented or economically useful --- so maybe it would open on MSN.com or Amazon.com one day and then Flickr or Hotwire.com the next and then maybe just MapQuest or IMDb (Internet Movie Database) the next day.

After all, isn't the Internet there to make us feel more giddy about shopping? We know that leprechauns hide pots of gold at the end of rainbows.

I wonder which browser future archaeologists will record as the penultimate Internet achievement. I'd cast my vote for Safari.

:afro:

Lucky Charms

lucky.jpg

Seeing as how I started on computers back when one had to load programs via a cassette player, CP/M was the o/s, the first "laptop" was the size of a large suitcase, and 8kb of memory was the norm, I've probably used all browsers at one point or another.
I still remember trying to dial (on a rotary phone) into a popular BBS back in the day. No such thing as "redial" on that phone.

I'm using the Firefox developer browser at the moment because it's 64 bit for my Windows 8.1 - and I'm not all that thrilled with it. I would like to be able to use Opera but it seems to have too many glitches with Win8.1.

Forum List

Back