Weatherproofing

Joz

Mar 9, 2004
It doesn't get but about 20 below around here in the winter. But I FREEZE.
I'm currently wearing my son's coat, but it is too big for me, the lining is tearing & the cuffs are frayed. I look like a bum. I was surprised the coat was this warm, tho'. But I need some clothes & outerwear that keeps me warm & doesn't make me look like a farmer. (I apologize to the farmers) I like comfort but I don't want to look like a house frau. Do any of you who are outdoorsmen have any suggestions?

Joz said:
I'm currently wearing my son's coat, but it is too big for me, the lining is tearing & the cuffs are frayed. I look like a bum. I was surprised the coat was this warm, tho'. But I need some clothes & outerwear that keeps me warm & doesn't make me look like a farmer. (I apologize to the farmers) I like comfort but I don't want to look like a house frau. Do any of you who are outdoorsmen have any suggestions?

Are you talking about everyday wear or when you are just out and about?

One trick I use in really cold weather hunting, is to create a vapor barrier. It may sound crazy but it works. For the torso use a garbage can liner cut a hole for your head and arms and wear the liner next to your skin, then layer your clothes over that. For the feet a bread bag works pretty good. The idea is to trap body heat and moisture next to your skin, works only if your not moving alot and building up body heat. I do this when I'm duck or goose hunting.

I've never heard that, but it makes sense.

What I'm needing is everyday wear. Out & about doing errands, loading & unloading music gear & then having to sit inside an establishment without looking like I'm some slob.

I've sat in some pretty cold duck blinds and laying in a snowy potato feild waiting for geese to fly in gets pretty cold.

I have other attire for the kinky stuff. :D

Joz said:
I've never heard that, but it makes sense.

What I'm needing is everyday wear. Out & about doing errands, loading & unloading music gear & then having to sit inside an establishment without looking like I'm some slob.

You know Joz I'm in and out of my vehicle all day also. I bought 3 nice different colored fleece vests with tall collars last year. They are great, they keep your upper body warm, yet can be unzipped to allow cooling off quickly.

MtnBiker said:
I've sat in some pretty cold duck blinds and laying in a snowy potato feild waiting for geese to fly in gets pretty cold.

Damn cold in a tree stand too...I heard that pantie hose would help keep ya warm
in situations like that, little movement etc.
Aaaaaaaaaaaaa......Okay, I'll say it...YES it worked! The guys that have been cold as
ice out there won't laugh or give me a hard time about that, they understand.
The others, the non sporting types, already know it's true.

Do I know how to write insurance or what?

:rotflmao:

Mr. P said:
.....I heard that pantie hose would help keep ya warm.....
Aaaaaaaaaaaaa......Okay, I'll say it...YES it worked! :rotflmao:

Yes, it DOES work. Use to put them on my boys when they went out to play in the snow. And you guys tho't Joe Namath was crazy.

Joz said:

Holy goosebumps, Joz.......Dont know if youre into long underwear but Cabelas has some terrific stuff called Polartec. Sounds like you would need the Polar weight.
Ive never been in weather as cold as 20 below but I got a coat from Eddie Bauer along time ago that was goosedown and suppose to be good to 70 below.....I think I looked like a little brown snowball in it but boy it did do the trick.....I would offer to let someone feel how warm it was by slipping their hand inside......but only if they promised to behave themselves about it....
I still have my coat but now that Im older and wiser I just come in out of the cold and cuddle up next to the wood stove. :cof:

MtnBiker said:
Are you talking about everyday wear or when you are just out and about?

One trick I use in really cold weather hunting, is to create a vapor barrier. It may sound crazy but it works. For the torso use a garbage can liner cut a hole for your head and arms and wear the liner next to your skin, then layer your clothes over that. For the feet a bread bag works pretty good. The idea is to trap body heat and moisture next to your skin, works only if your not moving alot and building up body heat. I do this when I'm duck or goose hunting.

Thats an effective tool for weight loss in wrestling, too. You know, when you're a pound over your class and need to shed some sweat quickly. Usually your buddies will lend you their sweatshirts and/or coats so you dont have to use plastic bags. It does work though!

MtnBiker said:

Hey MB is right, glad trash bag works but if that is too way out for you buy some under armour, its kind of like skintight longjohns. After that you can find some thinsulated outerwear in just about any style you like.

MB the under armour lets you maneuver your gun from left to right and up and down much easier and is alot easier to sit up in those flat geese blinds.

Forum List

Back