Weather channel hyping Irene?

I guess the weather people live for sensational weather but claiming that "Irene will impact 82 million people" is a dishonest way to promote the storm. They ignore the east coast earthquake which impacted more than 82 million people and resulted in traffic jams and inconvenience. How will Irene impact 62 million people? With much needed rain? You can see the desperation on the faces of the weather channel people when they hope for a big story while it seems that Irene might move offshore.
The Weather Channel ALWAYS hypes hurricanes.

Earthquakes aren't weather.

Not "all" the time.....

The rest of the time they're showing bullshit movies
:eusa_eh:

What's even worse is the nanny-state politicians. Who needs to listen to them. Nothing unifies a disparate people quite like fear. That's why it's the rulers' chief propaganda tool. Fear transforms scattered tribes into nations, and fear keeps them bound together.
The media hypesters are experts at fomenting fear. Fear of imagined enemies. Fear of a foundering economy. Fear of strange diseases. It all adds to the grand illusion that we are one people.

This natural disaster stuff is right up their alley.

If you were from another planet you would assume the weather channel reporters were superior beings simply because ordinary humans are ordered under penalty of law to evacuate while the media stands in the way of the storm. On the other hand the weather channel people are apparently not smart enough to come in out of the rain.

Come on Irene, oh I swear (what he means)
At this moment, you mean everything
With you making a mess, of the east coast I confess
Verge on dirty
Ah come on Irene

Wow -- I was kinda hoping the power would be OFF in NYC by now.. So we'd have a lefty-free night on USMB..

((But maybe we have more righties on USMB from NYC and the Northeast)) I'm confused. Best of luck..

he is a Rand Paul supporter.

Could be... Don't know, but if you're interested I'm sure you could find out...

The guy with the shortened weenie lost his suit. The DR removed cancer and it was covered in the pre surgical agreement the patient signed.

Let this be a lesson to me.

Never jump right into the second page of a thread.

Now I have to go back and find out how a short weenie suit ended up in a hurricane thread in less than 45 posts. :lol:

Since mainland America hasn't been struck by a named hurricane in 2 years I think some degree of hype is a good thing.

Americans tend to get confident and complacent.

We need to be urged to prepare and not to under estimate the power of these storms.

Been through enough. I stay prepared.

Keep up the hype.
:cool:

ooooooooo no no i think that is the wrong path.....now all these people are gonna refuse to move with the next hurricane.....irene was so overhyped its not funny....people it was a cat 3 at her strongest.....cat 3....i could have seen all this if she was a cat 3 and gaining strength......

but now people will poo poo the next one....and it could be like hugo

Weather channel hyping Irene?

I think that goes nearly without saying doesn't it?

The more they hype the weather, the more eyeballs they have glued to the screen.

The profit motive distorts the news we hear, folks, and it is NOT JUST the Weather Channel that is motivated to hype the news.

However, consider the possibility that predicting the path of a hurricane is not all that easy.

Had this hurricane never touched land, but instead had it gone up the coast the outcome of this even could have been much MUCH worse.

Last edited:
I guess the weather people live for sensational weather but claiming that "Irene will impact 82 million people" is a dishonest way to promote the storm. They ignore the east coast earthquake which impacted more than 82 million people and resulted in traffic jams and inconvenience. How will Irene impact 62 million people? With much needed rain? You can see the desperation on the faces of the weather channel people when they hope for a big story while it seems that Irene might move offshore.

This is the latest meme on the right.

Here are a couple facts thus far.

9 death's as a direct result of the hurrican.

Over half-a-million homes without power in VA and NC.

When the report from the insurance companies comes out detailing the monetary damage then we'll see how more "hyped" this hurricane is.

Being a Caribbean person, and experiencing many a hurricane from childhood till now, including being waken up in the middle of the night by a flying beer canister crashing through one of our windows to then see our roof being ripped off in real-time...hurricanes are no joke.

American homes aren't even built for them, they are flimsy as cardboard boxes in comparison...better safe than sorry.

I don't know what the right thinks they are accomplishing with this absolutely ridiculous meme.

This is the latest meme on the right.

Here are a couple facts thus far.

9 death's as a direct result of the hurrican.

Over half-a-million homeswithout power in VA and NC.

When the report from the insurance companies comes out detailing the monetary damage then we'll see how more "hyped" this hurricane is.

Being a Caribbean person, and experiencing many a hurricane from childhood till now, including being waken up in the middle of the night by a flying beer canister crashing through one of our windows to then see our roof being ripped off in real-time...hurricanes are no joke.

American homes aren't even built for them, they are flimsy as cardboard boxes in comparison...better safe than sorry.

I don't know what the right thinks they are accomplishing with this absolutely ridiculous meme.

Irene is nothing more than an inconvenience to 81,998,000 of the 82 million. Blowing up minor issues into catastrophes to justify opening the government money spigots is a liberal specialty.

Making people aware of liberal scams is what the right is accomplishing.

Boy, how they do hate it!

You know it's not even raining very hard here in Maine, right now.

As hurricanes go this one is fairly benign.

Irene's winds so weak it couldn't even blow a yamaka off a New York Jew. Hell, a passing thunderstorm that went through Mt. Rushmore late afternoon yesterday had higher winds.

The beat goes on, a quote from today's hype: "35 mph winds in Vermont, pretty amazing stuff". Say what? Weather people simply cannot say the word "waves" without using the words "crashing" or thundering".

Every news station is hyping it up. I live in Coastal Georgia but have lived all my adult life in hurricane alley. I stayed through Erin when it hit Pensacola and left when Opal came just a month later. We never get this when it hits down in this area , only on the weather channel but because its hitting New york its a big deal. I would never leave for a Cat 1 unless I lived on the ocean which we never have so it was never an issue

Last edited:
Fox news military correspondant Rick Leventhal was stationed in Atlantic City last night and he described the churning surf and the iminent danger of the ocean coming close to the boardwalk while we could see behind him about a half a mile of shoreline. Today he points out to debris and seaweed on the beach and says it wasn't so bad. What happened? Is Bloomie going to apologize to New Yorkers for the panic he promoted?

Well it wasn't nearly as bad here (suburbs of Philly) as we thought it would be. We've had much worse regular storms. The wind wasn't half what I thought it would be.

For all those saying it was over-hyped . . . better safe than sorry and it wasn't over-hyped for those folks who died.

Forum List

Back