Wear Red Day

Joz said:
February 4th is the second annual "Wear Red Day" kicked off by Laura Bush last year. It is a day to call attention to heart disease, the number one killer of women, more than all the cancers combined, even under 40 yrs of age. Eighty percent of the cases are preventable. Pass the word.

We can't do that! Haven't you read the story about the NOW ladies all upset that women's health is in jeopardy while Bush is in office?! This would go directly against their assertion that women's health issues are being ignored! How could we possibly be doing this when you know the Republican party ignores women on a regular basis. :rolleyes:

Joz said:
Thank you, Jeff.
The Army's National Guard's 1,457th Engineer Battalion in Baghdad pinned red ribbons to their uniforms last year. So, whether you wear a suit, a Versace, or sweats, make some part of it red.

I will wear red too. Don't take my sarcasm too seriously. I just get irritated when they assume that something will go one way when all the evidence points and entirely different direction.

:)

gop_jeff said:
I think I will... especially since my wife, at age 31, suffered a heart attack. Hits close to home.
a tad bit too young for that type of thing to happen!

ill be waering red too

Joz said:
February 4th is the second annual "Wear Red Day" kicked off by Laura Bush last year. It is a day to call attention to heart disease, the number one killer of women, more than all the cancers combined, even under 40 yrs of age. Eighty percent of the cases are preventable. Pass the word.

That's fine.

But after we do that, can we have another "wear red" day to rub john kerry's nose in the fact that we kicked his sorry ass???

Huh - can we, huh? Pleeeeeeze?????

Joz said:
Not to take anything away from the effort, but cancer and unintentional injuries overwhelmingly dominate heart disease as causes of death in women under 40. Many heart disease deaths in that age group furthermore are NOT from "heart attacks," but other causes such as cardiomyopathy or congenital heart disease, many of which are unfortunately not preventable.

It is not common for women under 40 to have a "heart attack," and when they do, there are usually clearly identified risk factors involved. Most so-called "heart attacks" in these younger women are not really myocardial infarctions. I find that many of these women do not understand their discharge diagnoses. They say they were admitted last year for a "heart attack" but when I review the chart, they were admitted for chest pain and RULED OUT for a heart attack. Not to say it can't happen, because it does, but not as often as you are leading people to believe. Definitely younger women's heart attacks are underdiagnosed (because they are so rare), and so their mortality is higher, so we need to be suspicious to a degree.

In fact, today the American Public Health Association released a report saying that cancer is now the leading cause of death in Americans under age 85, finally eclipsing heart disease for the first time.

Joz said:
I suggest you contact Glamour Magazine & inform them. They are the one's helping to promote this. I just passed on what, I tho't was important information.
So that's why I've been seeing all the 29 year old hotties come in concerned about their hearts. :bow3:

They should also explain the importance of monthly breast self-exams, since they are more likely to get breast cancer. If you look at the obituaries like I do, and you see a picture of a young woman who died, chances are it was from breast cancer. :(

Joz said:
Yes, they have interviewed young women who have had heart attacks. They've published heart-wise diet/exercise plans. Ought to pick up this months issue.
Well that does it, I don't know about anyone else but I'm making Glamour Magazine my number one source for health information now! :laugh:

Mr. P said:
Well that does it, I don't know about anyone else but I'm making Glamour Magazine my number one source for health information now! :laugh:
:rotflmao:
I was going to say that, but was too polite.

Forum List

Back