Weaponization Of Space

Discussion in 'Asia' started by Zhukov, Aug 29, 2004.

1. Zhukov

Zhukov VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +301
    http://www.spacedaily.com/news/china-04zzb.html

Looks like China would like to prevent us from assembling a space-based ballisitic missile defense capability. Why am I not surprised?

2. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Unless there is a change on their part or outs, China will be the USSR with the US in less than 15 years. It is a scary scenario with their population.

3. Zhukov

Zhukov VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +301
    The obvious solution to that scenario is a geosynchronus network of space platforms armed with nuclear gravity bombs. Launchers on the platform supply a small nudge and gravity does the rest. Provide an invulnerable control center, like a lunar outpost, and you have the ultimate deterent.

Even given a surprise and large-scale attack on the United States our nuclear response would be unstoppable and complete.

It isn't surprising the Chinese would rather we didn't move in that direction.

The worst thing we could do is allow the Chinese to reach parity.

4. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    I agree with your ending, though I think there will be strong arguments made that it's in 'our' best interests to not be the only 'superpower/hyperpower'. It would be a mistake, but one I can see coming.

5. wade

wade Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Come on people, China is not concerned about offensive nuclear weapons platforms. We really have little need for such anyway, when our ground and submarine based missiles can reach anywhere in 15 minutes or less.

This is about stopping defensive systems which use small nukes to ensure destruction of enemy ballistic missiles. They will proably also want to ban nuclear powered laser systems, which use a nuke to generate the energy for the beam (these are 1 shot units).

I think the whole idea however is silly, the USA will want to have nuclear powered space stations and spacecraft in the not to distant future, and we will not agree not to deploy such items. Once the fissionable material and reactors are up there, making nukes up there is too easy.

Wade.

6. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770

Grow up: http://www.cia.gov/nic/confreports_chinawmd.html

7. Merlin1047

Merlin1047 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +450
    Let's see - which other nation has the capability to field space-based weapons? I'm no expert, and perhaps there are secrets we don't know about, but my guess would be that the answer to that question is "none".

So the Chinese are not asking for a treaty per se, they are demanding that we simply roll over and give up our advantage. And we should do that for no other reason than the Chinese want us to do so. Sounds like they really need to get kerry elected.

My first question to them would be - "whatcha got to trade, Bubba?" Excuse me, make that "Bubba-san".

If the Chinese want us to give up a system that would give the USA an overwhelming advantage for about the next 30 to 50 years, then they had better be prepared to pony up something in exchange. And I'm not talking more cultural exchange groups either. More like they should shut the hell up about Taiwan - and that's just for starters.

8. wade

wade Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I suspect China could put up space based nuke platforms. If they cannot today, they will be able to do so very soon. Several other nations are capable as well. Any country which can put up a satalite can put up such a platform.

Personally, I think we should agree not to place offensive nuclear weapons in space. But we should definitely retain the right to use nukes for defensive purposes, such as putting a tac in the nose of an anti-ballistic missile.

Wade.

9. wade

wade Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Nothing new there Kathianne. How does this conflict with what I posted?

What's your problem Kathianne? I think you do not understand what you read more than half the time. You go off on a wild hare.

Wade.

10. rtwngAvngr

rtwngAvngr Guest

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +511
    Why? Please give one good reason.