Wealth inequality-how it affects the economy

Those who are so eager to return to the old ways of doing business, keep it small and simple, need to understand how impossible that has become when large corporations now set the stage for pricing, wage and benefit structure, and the myriad other management tools they employ in order to run an economy that is no longer affordable for small businesses to compete.

"Government" isn't the only villain in allegedly suppressing small businesses. How often does the army of U.S. Chamber of Commerce lobbyists descend upon Washington to advocate for keeping a small business competitive with big business?

Why do you think Big Business has so much power and control? Big Government enables it via regulations which Rig The Game.

For once try seeing it the other way around. By their massive lobbying efforts under the umbrella of the USCC, many industries have won the right to self-police which results in contamination in meat packing plants, lax oversight of the distribution of prescription drugs, minimal OSHA inspections, and even more currently of interest, ignoring the very simple check for valid Social Security Numbers to avoid hiring illegal aliens.

Those who are so eager to return to the old ways of doing business, keep it small and simple, need to understand how impossible that has become when large corporations now set the stage for pricing, wage and benefit structure, and the myriad other management tools they employ in order to run an economy that is no longer affordable for small businesses to compete.

"Government" isn't the only villain in allegedly suppressing small businesses. How often does the army of U.S. Chamber of Commerce lobbyists descend upon Washington to advocate for keeping a small business competitive with big business?

Why do you think Big Business has so much power and control? Big Government enables it via regulations which Rig The Game.

For once try seeing it the other way around. By their massive lobbying efforts under the umbrella of the USCC, many industries have won the right to self-police which results in contamination in meat packing plants, lax oversight of the distribution of prescription drugs, minimal OSHA inspections, and even more currently of interest, ignoring the very simple check for valid Social Security Numbers to avoid hiring illegal aliens.

If we didn't have a Big Government to provide Cronyism Benefits, there would be no point in such lobbying.

Regulations are designed to protect the big, incumbent companies - oft written by the companies themselves. If you think that provides Consumer Protection, think again.

Just sayin'.

Every "big" business started out as a "small" business.
Small businesses still provide the majority of the jobs.
If the number and wealth of big businesses has grown, logic tells me that small businesses have done well for themselves by growing in to a "big" business.

Well that's not exactly how it happened on a larger scale, although I'm sure it's true in some cases. Big business, mega corporations like General Electric, Monsanto, General Mills, Bank of America, Hilton Hotels, even News Corps, all grew via the art of consolidation--buying up smaller like industries and then making their own rules. Kinda like totalitarianism in the private sector.

Nothing! I say make it harder to buy goods outside of this country, stop letting every corporation move our jobs to third world countries, and stop letting corporations run this country.

so tax foreign goods so they cost the same as us goods....forcing us folks to pay more or buy america right.....
Sounds all warm and fuzzy, on the surface, but these are still small American businesses trying to maximize their profits.
It would wind up punishing Mom and Pop more than helping them.

Big businesses are exempt from all sorts of things. There's no reason why small businesses shouldn't be exempt from rules and/or regulations that would specifically hurt them. Maybe small businesses (more narrowly defined?) need their own tax bracket.

Ya lets seize everyone's money over say 2 million and let the Government redistribute it. You guys are such idiots. Envy is ugly.

that's not the point. it's not about envy at all. can you draw the trend line between 1973 and 3005? what does that trend line suggest will be the wealth distribution between the top 10% and the bottom 90% in another 30 years? Don't you find that disturbing in the least?

Every "big" business started out as a "small" business.
Small businesses still provide the majority of the jobs.
If the number and wealth of big businesses has grown, logic tells me that small businesses have done well for themselves by growing in to a "big" business.

Well that's not exactly how it happened on a larger scale, although I'm sure it's true in some cases. Big business, mega corporations like General Electric, Monsanto, General Mills, Bank of America, Hilton Hotels, even News Corps, all grew via the art of consolidation--buying up smaller like industries and then making their own rules. Kinda like totalitarianism in the private sector.

If you don't like it, then you should be very critical of the federal laws and regulations which make it very difficult to grow a small company into a larger one.

so tax foreign goods so they cost the same as us goods....forcing us folks to pay more or buy america right.....
Sounds all warm and fuzzy, on the surface, but these are still small American businesses trying to maximize their profits.
It would wind up punishing Mom and Pop more than helping them.

It worked back in the '50s, what's changed since then?

The rise of corporate imperialism, as my OP says.

Ya lets seize everyone's money over say 2 million and let the Government redistribute it. You guys are such idiots. Envy is ugly.

that's not the point. it's not about envy at all. can you draw the trend line between 1973 and 3005? what does that trend line suggest will be the wealth distribution between the top 10% and the bottom 90% in another 30 years? Don't you find that disturbing in the least?

Not if they're looking for a fast track to Third-World shithole status.

If I was buying property in Mexico, I'd be pretty concerned.

:tongue:

You know............I like the way the Japanese do it. A CEO cannot make more that 100 times the salary of their lowest employee.

Wanna stimulate the economy? Tell the greedy fucks at the top to stop shipping jobs overseas, and actually bring the factories over here.

Oh wait......can't happen.......the CEO's mistress needs a new Bentley to keep her quiet.

if there was tons of money to make by having a factory in the us the ceo would have one.....why don't they.....labour and business costs.....it is cheaper else where.....

so the choices are.....ban buying goods or services made outside the usa...or tarriff them to make them equal to goods made here or subsidize goods made here to make them equal.....

We can argue trade imbalance forever. My original point was that the New Right's hue and cry is allowing the free market to regulate itself, and I maintain that it already does...to the detriment of the buying power of the American consumer but not its own pocketbook.

LOL

buying property in Mexico is my way of hedging that trend!

LOL

buying property in Mexico is my way of hedging that trend!

I assume that's because the wealth distribution in Mexico hasn't changed much since 1800.:cool:

All you assholes who think that American workers make too much should go into your boss' office tommorrow first thing and tell him that as a Great Patriotic American you want a cut in pay so you can be more on par with your Chinese worker counterpart.

If you don't do that, you're nothing more than a hypocritcal pussy and a petty cheap labor conservative corporatist suck up.

Last edited:
You know............I like the way the Japanese do it. A CEO cannot make more that 100 times the salary of their lowest employee.

Wanna stimulate the economy? Tell the greedy fucks at the top to stop shipping jobs overseas, and actually bring the factories over here.

Oh wait......can't happen.......the CEO's mistress needs a new Bentley to keep her quiet.
Oh wait.....that can't happen, either......the bottom wage-earners are so filled with envy against corporations that they vote for jugheads that think it's ok to tax the shit out of companies so as to run them off to where it's cheaper to operate.
:clap2:
Corporate tax hikes is what's changed since 1950, btw, MrClean ;)

That would be wrong, too.

Study says most corporations pay no U.S. income taxes | Reuters

Most corporations and millionaires don't pay their fair share of taxes.

They either evade taxes via lobbies, simply don't pay them, or move their operations overseas.

the point of a corporation is to disburse profits to owners employees and shareholders.....they in turn pay the taxes on the profits.....

since when is 33% on a million not a fair share .... how much would you like them to pay ....

Well then last year was a joyful one for GE and Exxon's shareholders, and I sure hope they gave their employees GIANT bonuses, because they figured out how to pay no taxes at all.

GE, Exxon Paid No U.S. Income Taxes in 2009 - ABC News

Forum List

Back