Wealth gap widens

The wealth gap between whites and minorities has risen to a historic high, according to new census data analyzed by the Pew Research Center, as the collapse of housing prices more severely affected the net worth of African American and Hispanic households.

The report, which was to be released Tuesday, shows that the recession wreaked havoc on the wealth of all Americans but that whites lost the least amount as a percentage of their holdings.

Between 2005 and 2009, the median net worth of Hispanic households dropped by 66 percent and that of black households fell by 53 percent, according to the report. In contrast, the median net worth of white households dropped by only 16 percent.

The median net worth of a white family now stands at 20 times that of a black family and 18 times that of a Hispanic family — roughly twice the gap that existed before the recession and the biggest gap since data began being collected in 1984.

Wealth gap widens between whites, minorities, report says - The Washington Post

It's because most minority wealth is tied up in home ownership, and the libs first inflated and then crashed the housing market with the Community Reinvestment Act. Futher, obama's anti-business attitude has scared off employers from new hiring, which disproportionately affects minorities.

umm, Im discussing the problems of today not pre civil rights issues.

One can not discuss the issues of today without understanding the context of those issues - for instance, the fact that whites in America had a 160 year history of building and inheriting wealth in the United States before the first black Americans were legally allowed to do so. The impact of that can not be understated. The policies of the time created the segregation that forced blacks into blighted urban cores with declining schools while whites were able to accumulate wealth via a low-interest 30 yr mortgage in a suburban town free from said blight.

Context is important.

I agree it is important in that aspect. But those born of my generation dont bear those burdens. Like my last sentence that you omitted in the quote, they had all the same opportunities I had.

No, they didn't. They didn't live in the suburbs where most Whites had moved. They didn't have access to the superior suburban schools. They didn't have a generation or more of culture that looked at wealth building as an achievable goal thanks to government programs such as the low interest, 30 year mortgage.

No one forced them to not do as I did.

of course someone did! The government did by forcing them into blighted neighborhoods that could not create strong schools because they had almost no property tax revenue.

YOU CANT MOVE FORWARD IF YOUR CONSTANTLY LOOKING BACK

You also can't understand the current if you don't put it in the context of the past.

One can not discuss the issues of today without understanding the context of those issues - for instance, the fact that whites in America had a 160 year history of building and inheriting wealth in the United States before the first black Americans were legally allowed to do so. The impact of that can not be understated. The policies of the time created the segregation that forced blacks into blighted urban cores with declining schools while whites were able to accumulate wealth via a low-interest 30 yr mortgage in a suburban town free from said blight.

Context is important.

I agree it is important in that aspect. But those born of my generation dont bear those burdens. Like my last sentence that you omitted in the quote, they had all the same opportunities I had.

No, they didn't. They didn't live in the suburbs where most Whites had moved. They didn't have access to the superior suburban schools. They didn't have a generation or more of culture that looked at wealth building as an achievable goal thanks to government programs such as the low interest, 30 year mortgage.

No one forced them to not do as I did.

of course someone did! The government did by forcing them into blighted neighborhoods that could not create strong schools because they had almost no property tax revenue.

You also can't understand the current if you don't put it in the context of the past.

YES THEY DID HAVE THE SAME OPPORTUNITY i DID!!!!!!!

I grew up in the same neighborhoods were speaking about. I even went to jail at a young age. I went to a school that was 80% black. I had all the same obsticles plus a few extra that were self imposed through my own stupidity! You just dont get it, cause you clearly havnt lived it. I had some friends from school that are now better off than me!

Stop making excuses... you only enable further problems with this attitude.

People may need a helping hand once and awhile now but a hand out offers them no help.

I grew up in the same neighborhoods were speaking about. I even went to jail at a young age. I went to a school that was 80% black. I had all the same obsticles plus a few extra that were self imposed through my own stupidity! You just dont get it, cause you clearly havnt lived it. I had some friends from school that are now better off than me!

People may need a helping hand once and awhile now but a hand out offers them no help.
So, let me see if I got this right: Because you, a white guy, made it out of there and some blacks made it of there - all blacks should have overcome the institutional and generational racism of urban areas?

As for having "never lived it", I'd remind you that you know nothing of me or the circumstances in which i was raised. I understand it just fine, thanks.

Take a look at the wealth gap between the slimy ultra wealthy and the middle class....I dont care what race. A sad statement on a country that was ONCE great.

Take a look at the wealth gap between the slimy ultra wealthy and the middle class....I dont care what race. A sad statement on a country that was ONCE great.

Pure class envy. People are supposed to be penalized for having succeeded. A great country is one which tears such people down to the level of the losers.

I grew up in the same neighborhoods were speaking about. I even went to jail at a young age. I went to a school that was 80% black. I had all the same obstacles plus a few extra that were self imposed through my own stupidity! You just dont get it, cause you clearly havnt lived it. I had some friends from school that are now better off than me!

So, let me see if I got this right: Because you, a white guy, made it out of there and some blacks made it of there - all blacks should have overcome the institutional and generational racism of urban areas?

As for having "never lived it", I'd remind you that you know nothing of me or the circumstances in which i was raised. I understand it just fine, thanks.

I can tell plenty from your posts to know your bloviating about an issue that you have not yourself lived through and are just following straight party lines and politics. Thing is party politics dont define this issue properly, all they do is throw platitudes and money at it.
Instead of trying to "earn their votes" through sympathy and useless programs you should try to help them "earn a future" through empathy and actions. And yes, every one of my class mates had the same opportunities we did.

Im out because you simple wont budge at all from your "victim" phallus. :eusa_whistle: Times have changed but clearly you got left behind... shame:(

I will say one other thing

There are some that fall through the cracks, I nearly did. Having said that you dont nor should you make policy for this nation based on the plight of a few but instead make policy that benefits everyone. No more political preferences

It really helps if you actually read the article at the link....

By contrast, Americans overall reported less than 10% of their adjusted gross income as coming from capital gains. The richest 400 reported 1.3% of all adjusted gross income but booked 8.5% of all net capital gains.

Richest 400 Earn More, Pay Lower Tax Rate - Forbes.com

Capital gains should not be taxed at all Chris.
The higher the capital gains tax the less profit a business MAY MAKE. Keep in mind Chris that there is NO GUARANTEE someone will make a profit when they RISK their capital.
So guess what happens when the tax rate goes up? LESS CAPITAL FOR INVESTING.
And less investing means fewer jobs Chris.
Easy enough to understand I am sure.
So now you know how that works and now you are also for low or no capital gains taxes.
Because Chris is all for capital investing to create jobs. Right?

Wrong.

Capital gains should not be taxed unless they are taken out as income.

But thanks for playing.

And thanks for the apology.

You are ignorant and have no clue what capital gains are. Capital gains are not "taken out".
Capital gains are from WHEN YOU SELL AN ASSET.
Do you even know what capital is?
And people DO NOT SELL ASSETS when capital gains taxes are high thus stagnating the economy.
How do people get the capital they invest in assets? Pick it from trees? Find it on the side of the road? Save it from hard work?
Everytime someone sells something they INVESTED IN and receive a profit that is a capital gain. The lower the chances of making a profit then the less capital goes into investing in assets. And that means less jobs.
If there were no capital gains taxes then how many people would sell their assets and how would that affect the economy? And why would folks sell assets if there were notaxes on them? And if there were no future capital gains taxes then guess where those folks would put ALL of their capital to invest? And what does capital in the economy do when invested?
Economics 101 is available at your local community college. You need it bad.

What should us white dudes do other than acknowledge that what happened 150 years ago was bad and all discrimination is bad?
OK, since that is over and we said we know then what else should happen?

Why? Federal and state-level enforced institutional racism. Blacks were legally denied access to the programs and instead had to get loans in the private market - with much higher interest rates, much shorter terms and many banks legally refusing to loan to them.

Blacks were also denied the right to live in many suburban communities, send their kids to suburban schools or participate in the wealth-accumulating effects of low-interest home ownership

I call bs on your last sentence.

EDIT: you gotta stop changing you posts so fast. When I respond to the original and then you change it, it makes it look like I off in left field.

Ok, which portion do you think is BS?

All of it... you make this BS claim of racism without any substance whatsoever... back it up with absolute proof, indictments, etc....

And no, libtard, coincidence does not equate to causation..

Capital gains should not be taxed at all Chris.
The higher the capital gains tax the less profit a business MAY MAKE. Keep in mind Chris that there is NO GUARANTEE someone will make a profit when they RISK their capital.
So guess what happens when the tax rate goes up? LESS CAPITAL FOR INVESTING.
And less investing means fewer jobs Chris.
Easy enough to understand I am sure.
So now you know how that works and now you are also for low or no capital gains taxes.
Because Chris is all for capital investing to create jobs. Right?

Wrong.

But thanks for playing.

You are ignorant and have no clue what capital gains are. Capital gains are not "taken out".
And people DO NOT SELL ASSETS when capital gains taxes are high thus stagnating the economy.
How do people get the capital they invest in assets? Pick it from trees? Find it on the side of the road? Save it from hard work?
Everytime someone sells something they INVESTED IN and receive a profit that is a capital gain. The lower the chances of making a profit then the less capital goes into investing in assets. And that means less jobs.
If there were no capital gains taxes then how many people would sell their assets and how would that affect the economy? And why would folks sell assets if there were notaxes on them? And if there were no future capital gains taxes then guess where those folks would put ALL of their capital to invest? And what does capital in the economy do when invested?

I made all A's in economics in college.

Capital gains should be taxed as income if they are not re-invested in one year.

Then they are income.

I grew up in the same neighborhoods were speaking about. I even went to jail at a young age. I went to a school that was 80% black. I had all the same obstacles plus a few extra that were self imposed through my own stupidity! You just dont get it, cause you clearly havnt lived it. I had some friends from school that are now better off than me!

I can tell plenty from your posts to know your bloviating about an issue that you have not yourself lived through and are just following straight party lines and politics.

That's fucking hilarious!

Im out because you simple wont budge at all from your "victim" phallus.

I never mentioned victims. I mentioned reasons - contextual explanations of current problems.

You cited the example of, well, you - and claimed to know me well enough from a few posts to know what my youth was like. Fuck off.

I can tell plenty from your posts to know your bloviating about an issue that you have not yourself lived through and are just following straight party lines and politics.

I never mentioned victims. I mentioned reasons - contextual explanations of current problems.

You cited the example of, well, you - and claimed to know me well enough from a few posts to know what my youth was like. Fuck off.

Fuck off? really? I give you context from actual life experience and you give me fuck off?
This is not a junior high debate class my friend. If you want me to believe youve had skin in this fight like I have then give me some of your experiences. You cry about context, I give you modern day life lived context and all I get from you is context from 2 generations ago? get real

Wrong.

But thanks for playing.

Capital gains should be taxed as income if they are not re-invested in one year.

Then they are income.

Just a little note....

Book smarts do not equate to applicable smarts. just sayin

plus I aced trig in school but if you asked me to do it now all I could do is laugh and tip my beer to you

Fuck off? really? I give you context from actual life experience and you give me fuck off?

Yes, fuck off. Anyone who claims to know my background from a post on a message board, and then attempts to use that misapplied false logic to claim I'm bloviating talking points isn't worth the debate.
This is not a junior high debate class my friend.
True, in a Junior High class debate you'd be removed for attempting to make claims about people you don't know and claiming they are bloviating talking points.

If you want me to believe youve had skin in this fight like I have then give me some of your experiences.

I have no interest in sharing any of my experience so that you can make more false claims about me.

You cry about context, I give you modern day life lived context and all I get from you is context from 2 generations ago? get real

a modern day life lived context? no you didn't. You gave me a line of crap on a message board and attempted to claim that what applies to you individually should also apply to all stereotypically.

It doesn't.

Yes, fuck off. Anyone who claims to know my background from a post on a message board, and then attempts to use that misapplied false logic to claim I'm bloviating talking points isn't worth the debate.

True, in a Junior High class debate you'd be removed for attempting to make claims about people you don't know and claiming they are bloviating talking points.

If you want me to believe you've had skin in this fight like I have then give me some of your experiences.

I have no interest in sharing any of my experience so that you can make more false claims about me.

You cry about context, I give you modern day life lived context and all I get from you is context from 2 generations ago? get real

a modern day life lived context? no you didn't. You gave me a line of crap on a message board and attempted to claim that what applies to you individually should also apply to all stereotypically.

It doesn't.

You could have just said " no, I have nothing to offer" lol

ps. no need to be so hostile, its not good for your blood pressure (ya know cause blacks have worse bp than whites) oops i stereotyped you again :eek:

Wrong.

But thanks for playing.

Then they are income.

Clown College has economics classes?? Who knew

Wrong.

But thanks for playing.

Then they are income.

That makes no sense.

1. Part of all capital gains is just inflation - the investor is being taxed real money on something that partly isn't a real gain.

2. All of the money (at least for capital gains on stocks) has already been taxed at the corporate level.

3. Unlike eg wages, capital gains requires in a time deferment in the realization of the gain. Treating it just like wages takes no account of this deferment and is therefore unfair.

Wrong.

But thanks for playing.

Then they are income.

No.
Income is taxed differently than capital gains Chris. They failed to teach you that.

Forum List

Back