Wealth Distribution in the United States

Flaylo

Handsome Devil
Feb 10, 2010
In some grass near you
Wealth Distribution in the United States | Business Pundit

Financially speaking, there is a great inequality in the United States. Over the last 30 years, while the rich have been getting richer, the poor have been getting steadily poorer. One reason for the growing disparity between the rich and the poor is the fact that most new jobs that are created pay low wages and often do not offer retirement plans or health coverage.

You mean we have to develop our own retirement plans? We have to buy our own health insurance? How scandalous! How dare these evil (insert word here) make us take responsibility for our own lives!

I mean it's not like I should be paid for my labor or for providing some benefit to the community. I should just be given everything. Much more fair that way.

Mayby Flaygo should just move to Cuba.

He can bust his ass for the State.

He won't need wages as they will provide him with everything he needs to live on plus a nifty house I'm sure.

They will also provide HC via their primo HC system. After all Michael Moore said its the best in the world.

He won't have to worry about any rich folks because there aren't any. Social Justice and equality.

I'm sure he'll be very happy.

If a company's compensation package doesnt meet your needs, dont take the job. Those low paying jobs are low paying because almost anyone can do them. If there is a large pool of unemployed labor is it logical to assume that entry level wages arent going to increase? If you want more money learn a unique skill set that is in demand.

You mean we have to develop our own retirement plans? We have to buy our own health insurance? How scandalous! How dare these evil (insert word here) make us take responsibility for our own lives!

I mean it's not like I should be paid for my labor or for providing some benefit to the community. I should just be given everything. Much more fair that way.

In other words, to conservatives, the bigger the gap between rich and poor,

the better the system is working.

You don't have either health insurance or a retirement plan?

Or for those whom lack the;

ambition, drive, motivation, talent, smarts, intellect capacity, where with all, sticktoitevness, grit, sheet deterioration, perseverance

the response is always the same; anyone who supports something other than a hand out opposed to a hand up, revert to the same strawman translation.

Financially speaking, there is a great inequality in the United States. Over the last 30 years, while the rich have been getting richer, the poor have been getting steadily poorer. One reason for the growing disparity between the rich and the poor is the fact that most new jobs that are created pay low wages and often do not offer retirement plans or health coverage.

So you are saying that a machinist who used to gat paid to manually turn a lathe and use his skill, creativity and dedication to perfection, 15 an hour should now get paid MORE to hit a button and let the CNC computerized machine do the work?

When are you folks going to open your eyes and stop listening to the likes of Pelosi.

Your anger should not be at the business owners. Your anger should be at the increase in technology.

Something easier.....look at your recpetionist. She used to get paid 15 an hour to handle a switchboard, take messages, deal with front desk responsibililities.

Now she just handles the few overflows thanks to voicemail.

Should she be getting MORE per hour for that?

Last edited:

So you are saying that a machinist who used to gat paid to manually turn a lathe and use his skill, creativity and dedication to perfection, 15 an hour should now get paid MORE to hit a button and let the CNC computerized machine do the work?

When are you folks going to open your eyes and stop listening to the likes of Pelosi.

Your anger should not be at the business owners. Your anger should be at the increase in technology.

Something easier.....look at your recpetionist. She used to get paid 15 an hour to handle a switchboard, take messages, deal with front desk responsibililities.

Progressives want everyone to receive equal outcomes throughout life. So, no matter how hard you work, how much more intelligent you are, no matter what you do, you should not have anything more than the other guy.

The problem with the progressive ideal.... when you remove the 'reward', you remove the 'motivation'..... and America will be a third world country in a decade. Why innovate and create new products when you receive no reward for doing so? Why get out of bed and go to work when you get the same reward as someone who does?

I am at a loss as to how even the most stupid (like Fail&Won'tGo) cannot see the utter and total ludicrousness of this.

Progressives want everyone to receive equal outcomes throughout life. So, no matter how hard you work, how much more intelligent you are, no matter what you do, you should not have anything more than the other guy.

The problem with the progressive ideal.... when you remove the 'reward', you remove the 'motivation'..... and America will be a third world country in a decade. Why innovate and create new products when you receive no reward for doing so? Why get out of bed and go to work when you get the same reward as someone who does?

I am at a loss as to how even the most stupid (like Fail&Won'tGo) cannot see the utter and total ludicrousness of this.

Indeed. And anytime you hear "leveling the playing field" by any of these Statists? What you have said here is precisely what the Statists are speaking of.

Life is unfair, and everyone is different. Statists? Get used to this fact. You cannot change it no matter how hard you try. The only thing you succeed in harvesting with your policies is mass resentment by those working hard just to survive.

An excellent point, Jar.

The fact is that three huge economic forces are driving down the value of labor in this nation --free trade, illegal immigration AND techology.

We can do something about the first two forces, but the third force is undeniably one that cannot be addressed though anything other than a signficant change in the social contract.

And there's no way in hell that that is going to happen.

American industry is actually producing more output than ever.

But the working classes needed to do that are minescule compared to what would have been needed to produce that much output even 20 years ago.

So if techology is helping us so much

WEHERE THE HELL IS OUR TWO DAY WORK WEEK AND FLYING CAR?

Answer?

Those are in the income disparity that so many of us imagine is inevitable and unavoaidable.

Actually income distribution inequity is neither inevitable nor does it have to be unavoidable.

The same kind of techology breakthroughts were happening at the turn of the 20th century only in that case UNIONS changed the social contract.

Not much chance of that happening now, huh?

Last edited:

An excellent point, Jar.

The fact is that three huge economic forces are driving down the value of labor in this nation --free trade, illegal immigration AND techology.

We can do something about the first two forces, but the third force is undeniably one that cannot be addressed though anything other than a signficant change in the social contract.

And there's no way in hell that that is going to happen.

American industry is actually producing more output than ever.

But the working classes needed to do that are minescule compared to what would have been needed to produce that much output even 20 years ago.

So if techology is helping us so much

WEHERE THE HELL IS OUR TWO DAY WORK WEEK AND FLYING CAR?

Answer?

Those are in the income disparity that so many of us imagine is inevitable and unavoaidable.

Actually income distribution inequity is neither inevitable nor does it have to be unavoidable.

The same kind of techology breakthroughts were happening at the turn of the 20th century only in that case UNIONS changed the social contract.

Not much chance of that happening now, huh?

Unions took their role and drastically increased it over time...and to a fault.

For example....look at the sanitation union of my area...

The workers were furnished with better trucks (compactors) that actually allowed for 50% less stops at the dump shortening their day...it insisted all residents to be forced to leave all garbage at the left of their driveway or it wont be picked up....cans without lids will not be picked up for fear there may be vermin in cans.....men do not have to ensure cans are upright after dumping and lids are not required to be put back on top of can by pick up men......even if very windy out (resulting in rolling cans and flying lids)
Furthermore, they are paid for an 8 hour day 5 days a week...and when they are done with thyeir route, if it is earlier than the 8 hours...and it always is...they must report to the lounge at the depot and saty there until 5

.....yet, despite the recession, they threatened a strike if they did not get an increase in salary.

Wow, they say potato, you say onomatopoeia.

What a stretch.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

If a company's compensation package doesnt meet your needs, dont take the job. Those low paying jobs are low paying because almost anyone can do them. If there is a large pool of unemployed labor is it logical to assume that entry level wages arent going to increase? If you want more money learn a unique skill set that is in demand.
Meh...That takes all the fun out of sniveling about those awful villainous rich people.

Im somewher right in the middle of rich and poor... I did it all on my own too.

Imagine that :eusa_whistle:

You don't have either health insurance or a retirement plan?

No, I think Avatat is saying that no one is going to do it for you... you have to earn these things on your own.
If you choose to do other things with your life, then dont blame me or anyone other than yourself for it.

We are guaranteed equal rights, not equal results :eek:

The middle class is shrinking becuase those with drive are becoming wealthier and those without drive are being replaced by technology.

Seems not having drive is the issue.

This is what you get when you warn people about choking hazards .
A lot of stupid poor people whining about stuff.

The middle class is shrinking becuase those with drive are becoming wealthier and those without drive are being replaced by technology.

But it is more than just drive.....It is the result of that drive

In the past, the harder you worked the more you benefited. Now, an increasing portion of your hard work goes to management rather than to the labor producing it. This has been manifested in ever increasing management and CEO salaries while labor salaries have been stagnant

Management has screamed poverty for the last decade. Threatening labor with layoffs if they don't accept fewer benefits. Cutbacks to medical care, pensions, salaries and vacation have been accepted based on the perception that "times are tough"

But those sacrifices haven't been shared by upper management as they have seen their compensation and portfolios skyrocket as labor takes another cut

The lesson here:
You should take the time and expend the effort necessary to get a job that -does- offer retirement plans and health insurance.

The idea that the government should do something about this - because, after all, we're entitled to it - is the problem, not the cure.

Last edited:

But it is more than just drive.....It is the result of that drive

In the past, the harder you worked the more you benefited. Now, an increasing portion of your hard work goes to management rather than to the labor producing it. This has been manifested in ever increasing management and CEO salaries while labor salaries have been stagnant

Management has screamed poverty for the last decade. Threatening labor with layoffs if they don't accept fewer benefits. Cutbacks to medical care, pensions, salaries and vacation have been accepted based on the perception that "times are tough"

But those sacrifices haven't been shared by upper management as they have seen their compensation and portfolios skyrocket as labor takes another cut

You are regurgitrating what the left wants you to believe.

Like I said earlier.....people nowadays without drive take those jobs where "pushing a button" is the primary responsibility. How can one work "harder" when pushing a button?

Sure, it used to be setting up the lathe, inserting the stock, clibrating...and those that worked hard had little to no watse and error.... yes, they were promoted to set up men, mechanics, etc.

Now? They are thirlled to get a job pushing a button and watching the machine run the stock and be there if the alarm goes off due to a jam.

But maybe if they had drive, they would take a class on programming the lathe?

How the hell does anyone work harder doing nothing more than taking overflow calls from the vpoicemail system.

Sure the upper management reaps the rewards. They still need to work hard...and harder to get ahead...Technology has yet to replace ones creativity, intellignece, reasoning and presentatioin skills.

Maybe if the lower ranks drive to apply THOSE skills, they would be able to get ahead?

Last edited:

Forum List

Back