"We were told if we don’t get money from patients, in the ER, we will be fired.”

EMTALA | American Academy of Emergency Medicine - AAEM

The Act imposes three primary requirements on Medicare participating hospitals that provide emergency medical services.
  1. The hospital must provide an appropriate medical screening exam to anyone coming to the ED seeking medical care;
  2. For anyone that comes to the hospital and the hospital determines that the individual has an emergency medical condition, the hospital must treat and stabilize the emergency medical condition, or the hospital must transfer the individual; and
  3. A hospital must not transfer an individual with an emergency medical condition that has not been stabilized unless several conditions are met that includes effecting an appropriate transfer.

Ok, you may be right. They can't deny life saving treatment, however. That's where I was coming from.

They are required to at least stabilize such a patient for transfer to another facility.

I'm not saying you were doing this, but this "everyone can be treated at the ER" meme has been used as a false argument in the healthcare debate.

Indeed, when you get to the point where debt collectors are actually stationed in the emergency room, interfering with the work of medical professionals, you've got a serious problem with your system. It's not good for the patients, it's not good for the doctors, and it's not even good for the suits at the hospital.
No other industrialized country experiences that kind of thing.
No one goes bankrupt because they are unfortunate enough to have a heart attack or cancer.

No one in this country goes bankrupt for that either.

Now that's dealing with the real world!!!

=============================================
]Q: What is the percentage of total personal bankruptcies caused by health care bills?

A: A Harvard study published in 2005 found that about half of those who filed for bankruptcy said health care expenses, illness or related job-loss led them to do so. Twenty-seven percent cited uncovered medical bills specifically, and 2 percent said they had mortgaged their home to pay what they owed.[/B]
FactCheck.org : Health Care Bill Bankruptcies

Last edited:

]Q: What is the percentage of total personal bankruptcies caused by health care bills?

A: A Harvard study published in 2005 found that about half of those who filed for bankruptcy said health care expenses, illness or related job-loss led them to do so. Twenty-seven percent cited uncovered medical bills specifically, and 2 percent said they had mortgaged their home to pay what they owed.[/B]

I've been an oncology nurse for nearly 30 years. This happens, and far more often than some would like to admit.

They most certainly can refuse to treat.

I'm sitting here trying to figure out the trick. Knowing you, if you've posted something like this there must be some kind of trick, but you got me. I can't figure it out. Emergency rooms, by law, are not allowed to refuse emergency patients.
No trick.

Yes it was. We were talking about people dieing because they were refused by the ER. I said it wouldn't happen and it won't.

I've seen it happen.

It's rediculous. This whole "We lost everything because we got sick and had no insurance" crap is rediculous. If you have a house, a car, and your kids are in college, yada yada yada, but you have no insurance then it's your own fault.

I've seen it happen to those with insurance.

I'm sitting here trying to figure out the trick. Knowing you, if you've posted something like this there must be some kind of trick, but you got me. I can't figure it out. Emergency rooms, by law, are not allowed to refuse emergency patients.
No trick.

Yes it was. We were talking about people dieing because they were refused by the ER. I said it wouldn't happen and it won't.

Your statement that "ERs cannot refuse to treat a patient" is false.

No other industrialized country experiences that kind of thing.
No one goes bankrupt because they are unfortunate enough to have a heart attack or cancer.

If you were injured or ill, and cannot work as a result, that is not the fault of the hospital OR the healthcare system. NOR will it be fixed by socialized medicine. If you go bankrupt because you didn't have insurance, that is YOUR fault.

I realize that I should have been a little more clear when I made the statement "No one goes bankrupt for that either.".

Its a fact that comes out barely before every body, and it is also a fact that many "honored" hospitals run on this policies that is why they have developed more and what could a person do if he doesn't have any other option left ?

If you were injured or ill, and cannot work as a result, that is not the fault of the hospital OR the healthcare system. NOR will it be fixed by socialized medicine. If you go bankrupt because you didn't have insurance, that is YOUR fault.

I realize that I should have been a little more clear when I made the statement "No one goes bankrupt for that either.".

I see so according to you providing ill people with health care so they work does not fix the problem of them not being able to wrok because they are ill

Forum List

Back