We Were Right to Drop the Bomb

Should We Have Dropped the Atomic Bomb on Japan in 1945

• Yes

Votes: 36 83.7%
  • No

Votes: 7 16.3%

• Total voters
No, the lords of war that enslaved their citizens, sacrificed the youth of their nation, out to slaughter civilians and conquer sovereign nations for the glory of Shinto puppet emperor. FDR reacted poorly yet under the circumstances had no other choice. Must be comforting to sit back and play your game of revisionist hypothetical what if spin games.
Oh please. FDR set up events at Pearl Harbor, knew the attack was forthcoming, failed to warn commanders at Pearl, and sacrificed thousands of American boys for his nefarious goals.

Cherry picked info…lmfao. That’s you my friend. You merely accept what the corrupt establishment has told you. I don’t.
Just as long as you don't post a quote or link you can claim whatever you like.

And as we know, Democrats were born angels and unlike the people below them, Democrats are totally honest.

Oh please. FDR set up events at Pearl Harbor, knew the attack was forthcoming, failed to warn commanders at Pearl, and sacrificed thousands of American boys for his nefarious goals.
I do not disagree that FDR had prior knowledge of the potential imminent attack against US interests, however, State Department and Intelligence service believed the likely target would be the Philippines or Midway.
Cordell Hull had been instructed by FDR to exercise all diplomatic efforts available in finding a means to cease hostilities and genocide resulting from occupying Japanese forces in China and Korea.

You mean like a leader who threw his own citizens into concentration camps?

You mean citizens who were in a front line zone we didn't have any reason to trust?

Yes, it was a shitty thing to do, but on the list of "shitty things done during WWII", it ranks pretty low.

Is the US part of the Philippines?

Did we develop and use atomic weapons on behalf of other nations rather than our own?

At the time, the Philippines were a commonwealth of the US.

I do not disagree that FDR had prior knowledge of the potential imminent attack against US interests, however, State Department and Intelligence service believed the likely target would be the Philippines or Midway.
Cordell Hull had been instructed by FDR to exercise all diplomatic efforts available in finding a means to cease hostilities and genocide resulting from occupying Japanese forces in China and Korea.
No. Our intelligence services knew the Japanese fleet was steaming toward Hawaii. They followed it all the way across the Pacific. This is why the carriers were moved out just in time.

Secondly, FDR made no efforts to negotiate with the Japanese to avoid hostilities. He did all he could to position Japan into attacking us. He committed treason and should have been hung.

When both sides are wrong, when neither side possesses a position of moral superiority, such discussion as has gone on here is moot. The simple question, however, "should an atomic bomb be dropped?", is, in general, absurd. Of course it "should" not. War should not happen. Cruelty should not be inflicted. Such a question, then, is ridiculous. The closest thing to a genuine question is, did it do more harm than not dropping it would have? That alone is arguable. Honest people could disagree over that.

You mean citizens who were in a front line zone we didn't have any reason to trust?

Who is "we," you racist son of a bitch? WE have no reason to trust YOU. I guess WE should throw YOU in a concentration camp.

The government doesn't need a reason to trust its citizens, citizens need a reason to trust the government. Clearly any trust in that piece of shit fdr was more than misplaced.

No. Our intelligence services knew the Japanese fleet was steaming toward Hawaii. They followed it all the way across the Pacific. This is why the carriers were moved out just in time.

Secondly, FDR made no efforts to negotiate with the Japanese to avoid hostilities. He did all he could to position Japan into attacking us. He committed treason and should have been hung.
That may friend is pure BS. Apparently you subscribe to baseless conspiracy theories. Furthermore maybe it’s time to read the “released” Sec of State and State Department documents, between the US and Japan, regarding the run up to Pearl. Enough with your woke nonsense.

That may friend is pure BS. Apparently you subscribe to baseless conspiracy theories. Furthermore maybe it’s time to read the “released” Sec of State and State Department documents, between the US and Japan, regarding the run up to Pearl. Enough with your woke nonsense.
You are uninformed but typical of most Americans who haven’t bothered to study the event. If you knew history you’d know that many people came forward with evidence of prior knowledge.

Who is "we," you racist son of a bitch? WE have no reason to trust YOU. I guess WE should throw YOU in a concentration camp.

Sorry, Dripping Poop, I'm a second generation veteran... if the government can't trust me, they really can't trust anyone.

Now, looking at it from the view of people at the time. You have 110,000 people who were born or directly linked to the power that just attacked you, you have only a few ships left between them and the west coast. And you know from the last two years of this war that the Axis Powers have found collaborators in every country they've invaded.

So you are going to let 110,000 potential collaborators run free on the west coast? That would be a bit daft.

The government doesn't need a reason to trust its citizens, citizens need a reason to trust the government. Clearly any trust in that piece of shit fdr was more than misplaced.

yeah, he only saved us from the Great Depression and defeated fascism. What a jerk. I think you should totally refuse to cash any social security checks just to protest what an awful guy he was.

I tend to agree. It saved hundreds of thousands of lives, including many Americans.

The headline of this column is lifted from a 1981 essay by the late Paul Fussell, the cultural critic and war memoirist. In 1945 Fussell was a 21-year-old second lieutenant in the U.S. Army who had fought his way through Europe only to learn that he would soon be shipped to the Pacific to take part in Operation Downfall, the invasion of the Japanese home islands scheduled to begin in November 1945.​
Then the atom bomb intervened. Japan would not surrender after Hiroshima, but it did after Nagasaki.​
I brought Fussell’s essay with me on my flight to Hiroshima and was stopped by this: “When we learned to our astonishment that we would not be obliged in a few months to rush up the beaches near Tokyo assault-firing while being machine-gunned, mortared, and shelled, for all the practiced phlegm of our tough facades we broke down and cried with relief and joy. We were going to live.”​
In all the cant that will pour forth this week to mark the 70th anniversary of the dropping of the bombs—that the U.S. owes the victims of the bombings an apology; that nuclear weapons ought to be abolished; that Hiroshima is a monument to man’s inhumanity to man; that Japan could have been defeated in a slightly nicer way—I doubt much will be made of Fussell’s fundamental point: Hiroshima and Nagasaki weren’t just terrible war-ending events. They were also lifesaving. The bomb turned the empire of the sun into a nation of peace activists.​

Thank God for the Atom Bomb - WSJ

What are your thoughts?
It wasn’t a matter of right or wrong.

The question of right or wrong became moot at the start of the war, when the doctrine of Total War was codified: that the intentional killing of civilians was justified, that civilians were a legitimate military target.

How civilians died became likewise moot – whether by conventional bombing or nuclear weapons, it made no difference.

It wasn’t a matter of right or wrong.

The question of right or wrong became moot at the start of the war, when the doctrine of Total War was codified: that the intentional killing of civilians was justified, that civilians were a legitimate military target.

How civilians died became likewise moot – whether by conventional bombing or nuclear weapons, it made no difference.
No. Civilians were not targeted early in the war. The US and Britain targeted civilians with their massacres from the air. Ruthlessly killing women and children. Germany tried to avoid civilian casualties early on, other than targeting Jews. The Japanese were ruthless and did kill civilians, but not any more than the US.

Why do Americans think total war is acceptable? It’s not. It’s a war crime. Truman should have been hung at Nuremberg for his mass murdering of innocent civilians.

No they didn't. It would have been pretty hard to follow the KB across the North Pacific as it had the crystals removed from it's radio transmitters and there were radio operators in the Inland Sea transmitting using the ships of the KB's call signs.

Intelligence knew the Japanese were up to something because they were reading the Japanese DIPLOMATIC codes, not the military ones. No one thought the Japanese had the ability to project power all the way to Pearl Harbor. It took every modern tanker available to Japan to do so.

FDR had been negotiating with Japan to end the invasion of China for years, when words failed, he froze Japanese assets in the USA. when that failed he embargoed metals, when that failed, he embargoed oil and encouraged the Dutch to do so as well. All the Japanese had to do to get the sanctions lifted was to end their illegal invasion of China. They weren't willing to do so.

Exactly what more do YOU think FDR could have done? He didn't want war with Japan, he wanted war with Germany and war with Japan would have been a distraction.

Putting Japanese nationals in relocation camps pending returning them to Japan would not only have been legal, but a normal practice. The problem was that second and third generation American citizens were confined to the camps as well. That was illegal and people should have gone to jail for it.

No they didn't. It would have been pretty hard to follow the KB across the North Pacific as it had the crystals removed from it's radio transmitters and there were radio operators in the Inland Sea transmitting using the ships of the KB's call signs.

Intelligence knew the Japanese were up to something because they were reading the Japanese DIPLOMATIC codes, not the military ones. No one thought the Japanese had the ability to project power all the way to Pearl Harbor. It took every modern tanker available to Japan to do so.

FDR had been negotiating with Japan to end the invasion of China for years, when words failed, he froze Japanese assets in the USA. when that failed he embargoed metals, when that failed, he embargoed oil and encouraged the Dutch to do so as well. All the Japanese had to do to get the sanctions lifted was to end their illegal invasion of China. They weren't willing to do so.

Exactly what more do YOU think FDR could have done? He didn't want war with Japan, he wanted war with Germany and war with Japan would have been a distraction.
Wrong. He did want war with Japan. Jesus dude get informed.

Forum List

Back